Zed written off :( wondering what it's worth

champy

This is no slur on you or your driving bit it's not unheard of for people to have cruise on. See a situation, react quickly but because their feet were off the pedals they're accidently gone onto the clutch mistaking it for the brake and then ploughed into somwthing. Crashing is never a nice feeling but the main thing is you are ok.

I'll put my hands up and say this is what happened to me, the zed is my 1st car with cruise control, I was using it on a B road which was stupid, rounded a bend to see 2 farmers happily stopped having a chat in their tractors and silage trailers blocking both lanes, so went to brake & nothing, panic set in and I was, as far as I was concerned braking with all my might but seemed to be getting faster, to this day I don't know how I got between those 2 tractors prob at 60Mph, I know for sure it was my fault and in panic I was pressing clutch pedal, never again will I use cruise control on B roads I could have killed my wife & myself that day leaving our kids orphans. Someone or something was on my side that day, needless to say new underware was needed. Felt like I had been in an accident for a few days after, my body felt stiff & sore.

Lesson learned.

Be careful out there.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Very low! Remember the Z's change price quite dramatically on colour.

Look for black ones only and send them over :)

I've just had a look now, they're all around the £9k mark, I only paid £7k for mine and only said the value was £7k when I insured it, do you think this makes a difference?

Doesn't make a difference mate. If you put 20k they aren't going to pay that out are they? ;)

Send over the adverts with similair age and mileage and see what they come back with :thumbs:

Insurers will always pay out the market value at the time of the accident unless the car was brand new at the time of the policy's inception in which case the customer would get what they paid for the car, Similar to gap insurance. I think most insurance companies do that now.

Also, It can make a difference if the insurer believes you have deliberately mislead them by undervaluing the car, that could mean the premium that was paid was not correct therefore the insurance could be invalid.

Obviously thats not the case here but it can and does happen.

Edited by nowhereboy

Very sorry to hear about your accident, hope it gets sorted soon.

I have NEVER used cruise and have had it on at least 10 of my cars over the years.

My cruise control is my right foot, I can rely on that to move rapidly when things need slowing down..! :surrender: :surrender:

Lol, theres nothing wrong with cruise control. Remember the zed is fly by wire anyway, theres no physical link between the ever trusty right foot and the throttle body, all the CC is doing is acting as the throttle pedal sending the same electrical signals to the throttle body as your foot would.

Its concerning it wouldn't turn off, very strange indeed, but I use mine on dual carriageway's especially when traveling at night as I can keep a perfect average speed and not get leg ache. Surely the brakes did something to retard the speed, I mean, its the same as applying the brakes when your accelerating, but it would have had some effect unless you have a brake issue, that is a physical link..

Id say the valuation is pretty good. I bought my 04 plate about 10-11 months ago for 6500. Only difference between mine and yours was the rays wheels. Mine was on 47,000 miles with full Nissan service history and some minor mods (powerflow exhaust, black vinyl roof)

The brake pedal switch is known to stop working due to water ingress causing contacts to go green over time and it can be intermittent. However it usually throws up traction lights on dash. If the switch isn't being activated or wasn't in this instance then it could well have been the cause.

The brake pedal switch is known to stop working due to water ingress causing contacts to go green over time and it can be intermittent. However it usually throws up traction lights on dash. If the switch isn't being activated or wasn't in this instance then it could well have been the cause.

Thats only to disconnect "cruise"...but surely the mechanical force on pedal would have slowed car??

Plus if you had changed down the gears to slow the car down via engine breaking then the cruise would have switched off anyway. At 60mph you could have changed into 2nd and the car would have slowed down rapidly.

I appreiciate that this is all well and good saying this after the fact and it is always trerrible to hear about a dead zed. Will you be buying another as a replacement?

Simply putting your foot on the clutch should disengage the cruise anyway as that has it's own switch too, but when your in a panic situation and its all in a split second you don't react fast enough. The brakes wouldn't stop the car in time if the engine was accelerating. I wouldn't put this down to driver error I would say it was purely electronic.

Any update on the valuation buddy?!

I haven't heard anything back yet.

R35LEE, I'm glad you said that as I thought the clutch disengaged the cruise as well. A little more info on the crash:

The brake pedal wouldn't depress fully, would only depress about 20% and would not disengage the cruise, same for the clutch, would only depress about 20%, this did manage to slow the car down slightly as it let it coast but when I let the clutch back up the car would accelerate back to cruising speed. Neither the cancel or on/off button would turn the cruse off. Please note guys that this all happened in about 10 seconds, I was coming up to a 3 lane traffic jam, I always leave a massive gap in front off me so I calmly began to brake, and thats when the problems started. I had enough time to realise the brake/clutch weren't working properly and nothing would turn the cruise off, at this point I was in a runaway car and starred panicking, was only a few seconds from hitting a wall of cars, the inside lane was blocked by now so I couldn't get in to the hard shoulder to use the gears as brakes which would have been my next move. Scary stuff :)

Well that would mean Mechanical and electrical. Now way of convincing insurance of that. The clutch and brakes are totally separate systems and they would argue a bottle had rolled under or the like causing the issue / accident. If I buy the salvage I will look into this further though and if anything was found you could take any findings to Nissan but this is the first case known in the UK. Only thing you could have done was cut the ignition but if you turned the key too far steering lock would engage and your accident could have been far worse. Looks like you did all you could mate :surrender::thumbs:

Edited by R35LEE

Agree with Lee there.

I wasn't trying to blame you earlier, just trying to figure out how such a thing was physically possible.

Dont the clutch and brakes share the same master cylinder? I could be totally wrong ofcourse! I cant think of anything else that would mean you could only press the pedals 20%. This would mean that at the same time you had a faulty TC system as well as a fault with the master cylinder, both physical and electrical faults simultaneously!

Its easy for us to all say "do this, do that" etc, but I can imagine the first 0.5 seconds after you realised the brakes didn't work you panicked, as we all would. Personally given the time of course, id have gone for the ignition, that would have at least killed the engine and the cruise control. If there was enough time you could restart the engine and apply the brakes, assuming they now worked. Alternatively, head for the gravel on the outer edge of the shoulder, but you clearly just didn't have the thinking time :(

Edited by cs2000

I'm sorry about your zed but surely depressing the clutch would have disengaged the gears slowing you down? I can't imagine how you'd only be able to press it 20% Very strange. Will you get another zed when your insurance pays out?