INFINITY GOES STEER BY WIRE:

ZMANALEX

"The main drawback, however – and it’s one that keen drivers may never accept –is that the steering just feels bizarre. The weighting seems inconsistent and changes mid-corner, and you never really trust that the artificial feedback is accurate or reliable."

End of!!

• Like 1

"The main drawback, however – and it’s one that keen drivers may never accept –is that the steering just feels bizarre. The weighting seems inconsistent and changes mid-corner, and you never really trust that the artificial feedback is accurate or reliable."

End of!!

How do you know Papa? I thought you still had Freddy Flintstone cars out in the sticks.!!! :lol:

Excellent, so it's a system that feels odd and adds weight.

Sorry, how is that progress?

It only adds weight atm as it has to have a tradinational system fitted too. Over time they will make it realible enough and do away with the rack.

Excellent, so it's a system that feels odd and adds weight.

Sorry, how is that progress?

Only has weight since the traditional rack is fitted as a fail safe but in time it will be done away with. Reading up about it makes sense. Electric steering is getting better and I bet everyone moaned when hydraulic steering was first introduced. Also you could make a left hand drive right hand drive super quick and cheap.

How can they ever do away with a traditional rack if it's needed as a fail safe? You're right, you could convert LHD to RHD easily, but if it handles like crap then who cares?

In theory I have no issues with EPAS or DBW, but in practice the former just isn't as good as a hydraulic one and the other benefits are negligible. Much the same as with hybrid, electric and hydrogen cars.

How can they ever do away with a traditional rack if it's needed as a fail safe? You're right, you could convert LHD to RHD easily, but if it handles like crap then who cares?

In theory I have no issues with EPAS or DBW, but in practice the former just isn't as good as a hydraulic one and the other benefits are negligible. Much the same as with hybrid, electric and hydrogen cars.

You can have issues with it or not it will change over the next few years. It will also improve but will it ever be as good as hydraulics or will we get used to it?

If your power steering pump fails you will see how that's dangerous. You have to be the Hulk to steer as your fighting against the fluid.

I've not really looked into this but did cars begin to get significantly heavier after power steering was introduced?

Probably, but I think they really started to gain weight due to the safety stuff that the EU/US wanted adding in. An HPAS system will be heavier than a non-HPAS unit (it's a common mod among the MX5 lot), but I'm more concerned with the fact that they have to keep a mech unit in just in case the DBW system fails. That just seems counter productive to me.

The only EPAS system I'm really familiar with is the Porsche one, and whilst it didn't bother me at first at all, the more I drive the new range the more it puts me off. Probably a good thing really, else I'd only go and buy a Boxster tomorrow otherwise :blush: Need to try the GT3 really, but that'll never happen.

I don't mean that thr power steering made the cars heavier but they could make cars heavier due to it. Even some low spec 106's etc came without power steering but they weigh nothing lol.

It's going to be constantly improving. It will get as good as hydraulic systems in the next few years. Plus 911 owners still bang on about water cooling is the devils work lol.