Fukushima! do people realise we could all be fudged!

Sempiternal

You're literally talking about nuclear physics and you cant tell the difference between design floor and design flaw?

I told you been awake since yesterday (night shift) its now been a fairly large glass of wine.. I think i should go to bed now... floor / flaw .. damnit

Dropping the control rods into the core will stop the reaction as then the reaction is flooded in essence. Most modern reactor designs incorporate a fail safe where by, if the reactor overheats the rods are dropped automatically by mechanical means. The rods are composed of graphite.

Apologies for the reply not being very detailed but I have to be a little careful about what info I'm allowed to give out

Hey, Of course thats understandable. Its been a long time since i read what happened at Chernobyl. Again my memory recalls an experiment being done.. Somewhere along the lines of what would happen if they had a power cut? if they were being bombed attacked etc.

Again i recall they switched the turbine off (the electric generator) i could be wrong. But im sure they lowered the output?. and to keep it short, they had the control rods too high. So i believe the fuel rods were already getting too hot. Again i believe it was when one of the control operators hit the button to lower the control rods. Something in the design when the graphite tipped rods entered the mix it caused a spike. and moments/seconds later the lid blew off?

I could be wrong but i guess just a terrible chain of events and poor thinking in the control room i guess

I know you said you cant speak about it, so il leave it there then

Rob

Chenobyl did the exact opposite and wrong thing and removed the control rods which allowed the reactor to reach critical mass.

The reason I feel I can comment is because I used to design a nuclear reactor for a famous British company (oddly people in this thread seem to be justifying their knowledge)

I could be wrong but i thought it was dropping the control rods that caused a power surge.. I thought cause they were graphite, that when they lowered it caused a spike in the chain reaction!.. which then turned out to be a design flaw? under certain operating conditions?

From memory (which isn't great) there was an issue in that the core was overheating, they then removed the control rods from the core, relaised it was a mistake and then tried to lower them into the core again. Upon lowering the control rods, the reactor core was too hot and so the graphite in the control rods shattered as they went from warm to very hot too quickly.

To be fair to the op, some of the comments are correct but some are also false. Currently there is no major risk from the power plant but the long term disposal of the radiated water is a small concern. Providing the control rods are not removed and fresh water is able to circulate the reactor then there is no danger.

Chenobyl did the exact opposite and wrong thing and removed the control rods which allowed the reactor to reach critical mass.

The reason I feel I can comment is because I used to design a nuclear reactor for a famous British company (oddly people in this thread seem to be justifying their knowledge)

Edited by OllyB

Dropping the control rods into the core will stop the reaction as then the reaction is flooded in essence. Most modern reactor designs incorporate a fail safe where by, if the reactor overheats the rods are dropped automatically by mechanical means. The rods are composed of graphite.

Apologies for the reply not being very detailed but I have to be a little careful about what info I'm allowed to give out

Hey, Of course thats understandable. Its been a long time since i read what happened at Chernobyl. Again my memory recalls an experiment being done.. Somewhere along the lines of what would happen if they had a power cut? if they were being bombed attacked etc.

Again i recall they switched the turbine off (the electric generator) i could be wrong. But im sure they lowered the output?. and to keep it short, they had the control rods too high. So i believe the fuel rods were already getting too hot. Again i believe it was when one of the control operators hit the button to lower the control rods. Something in the design when the graphite tipped rods entered the mix it caused a spike. and moments/seconds later the lid blew off?

I could be wrong but i guess just a terrible chain of events and poor thinking in the control room i guess

I know you said you cant speak about it, so il leave it there then

Rob

Edited by OllyB

To be fair to the op, some of the comments are correct but some are also false. Currently there is no major risk from the power plant but the long term disposal of the radiated water is a small concern. Providing the control rods are not removed and fresh water is able to circulate the reactor then there is no danger.

Why must I be old?

I work in radiation protection engineering. If I was working at Fukushima, I would be one of the guys carrying out surveys and monitoring the radiation levels.

I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on the state of affairs at Fukushima, as I really am not. However, reading industry related reports, there is nothing to make me think this currently poses any significant risk to local human health so long as control measures continue to be implemented.

Of course, there is still a risk to human health in the local area, however any radioactivity escaping is doing so into the Pacific. There is a lot of Ocean to dilute any radioactive material into, to the point it would be very hard to trace.

Take from that what you will. I'm qualified and experienced in a directly related field to what has happened to over there...... I'm not massively worried that we are all going to die.

This is what happened in Chernobyl (it's on the Internet, so it's true)

"In 1986, Soviet scientists attempted to harness the power of a fuel cell retrieved from the Ark. The attempt failed, ending in a disaster that irradiated the surrounding countryside, forced the evacuation of Pripyat and rendered the area uninhabitable for tens of thousands of years.

As the long clean up continued several decades later, workers found something alien. Alexi Voskhod brought in a NEST team including Optimus Prime and Colonel William Lennox to investigate the discovery. Lennox's team ventured into the reactors and found the fuel cell, but as they were retrieving it, they were attacked by the Driller. They followed the creature outside where Optimus joined in fighting both it and Shockwave off, retrieving the fuel cell in the process."

• Like 1

Of course, there is still a risk to human health in the local area, however any radioactivity escaping is doing so into the Pacific. There is a lot of Ocean to dilute any radioactive material into, to the point it would be very hard to trace.

Take from that what you will. I'm qualified and experienced in a directly related field to what has happened to over there...... I'm not massively worried that we are all going to die.

So my B in GCSE physics was right! >_>

This is what happened in Chernobyl (it's on the Internet, so it's true)

"In 1986, Soviet scientists attempted to harness the power of a fuel cell retrieved from the Ark. The attempt failed, ending in a disaster that irradiated the surrounding countryside, forced the evacuation of Pripyat and rendered the area uninhabitable for tens of thousands of years.

As the long clean up continued several decades later, workers found something alien. Alexi Voskhod brought in a NEST team including Optimus Prime and Colonel William Lennox to investigate the discovery. Lennox's team ventured into the reactors and found the fuel cell, but as they were retrieving it, they were attacked by the Driller. They followed the creature outside where Optimus joined in fighting both it and Shockwave off, retrieving the fuel cell in the process."

Haha legend!! I got so far down that post until I realised I am scared at my stupidity.

To be honest tho, if the OP is that concerned about this planet, then he should stop driving his car right now and cycle to work or if possible try to work from home. Even better if all modern technology was removed from his household thus saving the need for electricity, gas etc, as harvesting those natural resources will inevitably cause more harm to a naturally balanced ecosystem. The interference of mankind is the most detrimental factor to this planet.

It is what it is, global conglomerates control what happens in this world, which is a shame, because like the old Indian saying goes "You can't eat money"

Edited by BulletMagnet

To be honest tho, if the OP is that concerned about this planet, then he should stop driving his car right now and cycle to work or if possible try to work from home. Even better if all modern technology was removed from his household thus saving the need for electricity, gas etc, as harvesting those natural resources will inevitably cause more harm to a naturally balanced ecosystem. The interference of mankind is the most detrimental factor to this planet.

It is what it is, global conglomerates control what happens in this world, which is a shame, because like the old Indian saying goes "You can't eat money"

Hey come on its not that bad i was only throwing up a discussion. Just wanted to see peoples thoughts and opinions. Which tbf its a landslide to "nothing to worry about". There's a saying along the lines of "Mankind will ultimately destroy itself one day". Well thanks to nuclear technology, its not really a joke is it!.

Back to the discussion, Its great seeing peoples thoughts and opinions, you get the gist of how people think etc. I mean why do people joke about Chernobyl so easily (i too enjoy Transformers heck i grew up in the 80's it was one of my cartoon staples alongside Thundercats lol Live n kicking anyone? ). Some of the fallout landed in farmland in Wales, If people didnt know of this little fact google it http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-farmers-still-living-fallout-1841912

Again the culprit there is Cesium 137 - nasty stuff!.

So just going back to the discussion about toxic material finding its way into the Pacific. It was nice to see qualified forum members chime in!

peace

Rob

Chernobyl is awesome. I want to visit there properly one day, for photographs and stuff.

I really want to get into Urbexing - Chernobyl must be pretty amazing

I think this one is in Russia somewhere - disused themepark

7007708312_764b721d93_c.jpg

Isn't that Chernobyl?