My nightmare continues....

Kylefly

Contacted them just and this time spoke to the mechanic who said to phone back tomorrow

Feel for you mate. Think it's time you started being a bit more assertive with them. They just keep asking YOU to call THEM back! At this point I think I would of asked the mechanic to call YOU back tomorrow, or as soon as he has any news.

Log/make a note of all the times you were promised a call, but never received one and had to do the chasing yourself.

Sounds like they're starting to take advantage of your good nature Kyle.

Meh, they don't really have a choice. They either repair or refund at this point, although they may well surprise you and sort everything out amicably, albeit slowly :)

True, at the moment they've just been a bit poor with communication. . Not the best but it isn't the worst crime in the world. How they deal with the car is the main thing

So I just phoned the garage back. The response was that they are still looking at it and that he's waiting for the mechanic's report (which I will be asking for, obviously). He did mention a cylinder head was damaged to which I asked what could cause that, he couldn't tell, he just kept repeating that it's still being looked at.... I said to phone me back when they know whats wrong. I was told it could be a very lengthy process but that he'll phone me back tomorrow.

I think benefit of the doubt just went out the window! I'm not very impressed....

if there is cylinder damage it could be due to the car being run for a prolonged period on low octane fuel. causes engine knock as the ECU can't adjust for the lower octane and over a prolonged period can cause the pistons to break up and damage the cylinder as it will wear uneven. best bet is to find the thread keyser wrote on it, as its all explained in detail in there. not guaranteed that's the answer but might be the lost likely cause, as its the only thing I've heard of that causes damage to a zed engine as they tend too be pretty bullet proof. using lots of oil is a sign of this happening. if you kept fuel receipts that show you purchase 98ron or above i'd be digging them out to back your case up.

if there is cylinder damage it could be due to the car being run for a prolonged period on low octane fuel. causes engine knock as the ECU can't adjust for the lower octane and over a prolonged period can cause the pistons to break up and damage the cylinder as it will wear uneven. best bet is to find the thread keyser wrote on it, as its all explained in detail in there. not guaranteed that's the answer but might be the lost likely cause, as its the only thing I've heard of that causes damage to a zed engine as they tend too be pretty bullet proof. using lots of oil is a sign of this happening. if you kept fuel receipts that show you purchase 98ron or above i'd be digging them out to back your case up.

By the sounds of it he hasnt done many miles and would say you would have to have long periods of detonation to get to this point (past history of the car perhaps).

I have had a friend recently go through a very nasty experience with a recent car purchase, dealers are responsible for selling you a car fit for purpose, it doesnt sound like this is.

Did you finance the car at all?

The car has been owned by one of the owners since it was imported in 2009 so they know the history- could be why they're dragging their feet?

I didn't purchase it through finance with them.

Mmmm, if it was owned by one of the owners, they are on dodgy ground mate imho. This is exactly what happened with my mate recently, fortunately he had finance and they are responsible, they will then pursue the dealer.

I would make a call to trading standards, get their advice, which i am sure will be in your favour and then if you are still not satisfied with what the garage says or does, let them know you have been in touch with trading standards, should do the trick ;)

The car has been owned by one of the owners since it was imported in 2009 so they know the history- could be why they're dragging their feet?

I didn't purchase it through finance with them.

Mmmm, if it was owned by one of the owners, they are on dodgy ground mate imho. This is exactly what happened with my mate recently, fortunately he had finance and they are responsible, they will then pursue the dealer.

I would make a call to trading standards, get their advice, which i am sure will be in your favour and then if you are still not satisfied with what the garage says or does, let them know you have been in touch with trading standards, should do the trick ;)

Think I will be contacting them today. I doubt he'll phone me back, they've had it for a week and not even been able to give me any information at all. A car should be sold that is 'fit for purpose' mine is not so I think I might look into a full refund. Seems like I could get a hell of a lot more car for my money...

Just found this on citizens advice:

If you want your money back

You may be able to ask for a full refund if:the fault is seriousit is within a reasonable time of the sale, andyou have stopped using the car.Sometimes a partial refund is more appropriate, for example if you have used the car for some time before you noticed the problem.

(Within reasonable time of sale is defined as within 6 months of purchase)

That seems good and relevant info on the CAB site, but I'd definitely contact them directly, that way you'll have contact details of the representative you spoke to and more than likely be able to open a case or at least get a case reference from them to quote in any further communication with the garage.

No need to call CAB, unless you really want to.

Send them a letter stating that you require the car to be repaired within 7 days, or that you will be seeking a refund as per your statutory rights. No more mucking around, show them you're serious.

Agree with Ekona, time to stop being nice and get sorted. Let's face it, they've had your car for a number of days and the only way you are able to speak to them is by you ringing them. This is NOT customer service and they are certainly not the actions of an organisation who would be filling me with confidence. If they won't help you now what are they going to do when if you allow them to get into the "repair" scenario, quite frankly you don't even want to go there, if what you say is correct then the car was not fit for purpose. I honestly think they are hoping you are going to quietly go away. Letter to them as Ekona says and go from there.