Scorpion mid section - sqaushed!

timb2010

Hi,

My "used" scorpion exhaust seems to have had a very special modification!!!

The centre section has been squashed down maybe 1-2cm. The previous owner said "don't worry about that, it used to knock on the underside of the car before."

could i ask, Is this flattened area going to make any difference? Or is this 5inch long area small area not really relevant in the grand scheme of things?

Worth me heating it up and getting it round again? Worth me even fitting it as it is?

Bit gutted, it was my weekend plan!

Thanks in advance!

juzy2ejy.jpg

ba3urahy.jpg

arume6a5.jpg

BIN IT:

You will not be able to reshape the pipe so either cut the damaged section out and sleeve it or purchase another mid section.

Or if you want to botch it then just fit it as it is.

Alex :)

Edited by ZMANALEX

Turn your hose pipe on and watch the water at the end - now squeeze it to half it's size and tell me if that little squeeze in a 20 foot hose makes a difference to the flow ;)

Then as Alex said - replace or repair :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thanks all,

Aaron I think.your right. Found this picture. Bit confusing as I thought it was all about removing any restrictions in the flow. Maybe this small area doesn't make a huge difference?

Thanks CS. I did already PM tarmac to see if he can help me on this. But thanks again.

je6urube.jpg

The jaguar xk exhaust on the old x100 chassis has a squashed pipe on each bank of the engine at the rear of the car in order for the exhaust to go over the rear axle. Its was done in the factory as an easy fix to a problem. The exhaust still works but it does reduce performance. Its not about bore size but smoothness of flow. The first thing a lot of owners do is remove the exhaust and put a system in with no squashes, as better flow means better performance. Any system designed with a squash in it will never be as good as one designed without it.

NeilP - no mate. Not a bargain any more! Don't rub it in lol!

I'm going to get it fitted as it is. I can't afford to bin it and buy a new one (roughly £170).

Reading a US thread about the factory flattened area agency power and the mugen mid pipes. Apparenty if the bore is reduced by 5-10% then this won't be noticeable until the flow reaches 90-95% of the maximum possible flow. No idea if the zed ever reaches this maximum flow rate or if it does at what point.

If I feel any negative change I will get it cut and repaired as Alex suggested.

Maybe it would knock on the chassis anyway if it wasn't there!

Thanks for the help. :D

y8aja5a2.jpg

ehy5u9ep.jpg

Edited by timb2010