HEL braided hoses - install

timb2010

Hi all,

I've got some braided hoses sat waiting for me. I've had a good search and there doesn't seem to be a guide or a whole lot of info on changing them.

If there isn't a how-to I will take some photos on the way and do one.

Could I please ask:

Will I need 2 bottles of fluid?

Has anyone got any photos of them fitted?

Can I do the bleeding with the front lifted and then the rear? Or does it need to be flat?

Does it matter if I mix original fluid with motul ? Just topping it up?

If I'm using motul Rbf, how will I know when my old fluid it gone and I'm using new? Do I drain it all first?

Can fluid collected in the bleeding go back in the reservoir?

Thank you!

If I'm using motul Rbf, how will I know when my old fluid it gone and I'm using new? Do I drain it all first?

If you're lucky they will be different colours, failing that, buy too much and just make sure you bleed lots through on each corner, obviously remembering the fronts take less bleeding than the rears.

Can fluid collected in the bleeding go back in the reservoir?

No!

Thanks for the replies, I totally understand you may not want to advise if you think i might end up killing myself or worse others.

I read into it, that it was all a relatively simple process. You just need to know how? Do's and songs etc.

I plan on taking on all work myself on my zed, right up to the clutch change. Ive got the garage, tools and im hoping the ability, Maybe 15-20 years ago I've changed engines on my mini, beetles, 3 x on my 205 and helped with my calibra. It Was a good time ago though!

But then brakes are quite important on a high performance car hey!!

I guess a dealer will tell me if I need two bottles or whether one will do.

I've also found pictures of the fitted lines :)

Jp606 - did you change your HEL hoses? Mine seem to only have one p clip per front hose? I've ordered some more. How did you get on? Anything to watch out for?

Yep, you only get one and you need 1 more. Sly @ Kaizer fitted mine as the retaining brackets and banjo bolts were rusted as hell, from what I hear even he had a job getting them off without damaging the hardline on the car.

The rears are really too short, I mean, they fit, but just be carefull with your routing. Sadly no photos and I don't really know if they make any difference, but hey ho.

• Like 1

I bought 2 x 6.4mm p-clips from eBay. Item id - 160658309608

I've read if your going to be track racing your car maybe buy motorsport grade clips in case the clips melt with the heat from the brakes.?

Edit!!! Don't buy these they are crap!! Need larger steel clips

Edited by timb2010

Front HEL lines changed today. Also changed the springs for eibachs while i was in there. it was going really well until........ when I was bleeding the last nipple on the last corner i forgot to check the fluid level in the reservoir!!!! As the front end was jacked up it made it worse.

I bled the inner and outer again and eventually got the pressure back.. I popped the wheel back on and gave it a quick test down the drive. The pedal got worse and worse and now hits the floor... Disaster

It was too dark to bleed anything again. I was wondering does this mean that I have to do a full bleed of every nipple or do you think it will be just that last corner that needs re bleeding...?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

I bought 2 x 6.4mm p-clips from eBay. Item id - 160658309608

I've read if your going to be track racing your car maybe buy motorsport grade clips in case the clips melt with the heat from the brakes.?

Edit!!! Don't buy these they are crap!! Need larger steel clips

I have learnt the hard way with thes crap p-clips a couple of years back :drive1 buy the decent ones or replace the rubbers with braided fuel line. Trust me it is in no way fun or exciting hurtling towards a 80mph corner @ 125mph with a floppy pedal & poo in your pants :surrender: