VW Mk2 Supercharged G60 Jetta

Luke0549

So, i found out last night that a 350z can't escape me, and they can see my lights fade away in the distance ;)

I find this very hard to believe from an engine which had around 200bhp about 20 years ago :dry:

And by no means am I slating your purchase but by saying its a 'better' car than a 350z must be a joke.....Its more practical and potentially more fuel efficient but that's all I can think of!

Where do people find all these other willing participants in street races? I really can't believe in one evening you found enough people to traffic light GP.

To me it seems that in your own head you were racing them but they were probably just going about their business wondering what they were going to have for dinner.

I bet it's a nice car but the 'I raced everyone I could find and no one could beat me in a 200bhp, 20 year old car, how awesome am I?' post doesn't really help.

• Like 5

As much as it's your pride and joy, and it is a cool purchase, I've always had a soft spot for those older German wagons... There is no chance that that person was racing you in the 350... The pure maths/physics of it doesn't add up.

Still, enjoy it, and glad you like it... :)

So, i found out last night that a 350z can't escape me, and they can see my lights fade away in the distance ;)

It wasn't as bad as you make out was it Luke? Acceleration, yes it took off from me but I got up behind you and you were going no where...and like you say it stops at 120 whereas I'll keep on going ;)

It wasn't as bad as you make out was it Luke? Acceleration, yes it took off from me but I got up behind you and you were going no where...and like you say it stops at 120 whereas I'll keep on going ;)

Did you turn you T/C off ? or where you spinning the crap out the rears? :shrug: you had it long Dave ? ?

:banned::bunny::lol: ?

Edited by hensh65

Did you turn you T/C off ? or where you spinning the crap out the rears? :shrug: you had it long Dave ? ?

Had T/C on as it was a bit slippery out and I have only had the car 4 months or so. It's my first ever RWD car so I'm still learning!

I had a 'race' with some kind of Seat hot hatch thing the other night.

Was on the ring road (dual carriageway/two lanes) me on the outside/right hand lane, him on my left. I wasn't speeding/racing/driving like a d1ck, but sensed that he wanted to.

Anyway came off an island and started to climb a bank (still side by side), so exiting the island I thought I'd let the torque of the Zed pull me up the hill rather rapidly so I floored it (as much as I'd dared as it was wet).

The Seal (Cupra?) remained with me until I thought 'sod it, this is stupid and dangerous' so I came off the loud pedal.

The point I'm trying to put across is there is probably a post on a Seat owners club forum somewhere from someone saying they had a race with a Nissan 350Z the other night and they blew him away/left him for dust.

Sorry Zed owners everywhere, I let you down. I'm so ashamed :blush:

I'm also mature and responsible (sometimes) and though proving how fast my car was on a wet public road was uneccessary.

• Like 1

Sometimes I put my foot down, then afterwards think 'what a tit I was for doing that' ... sometimes though you just do feel the need. Problem is there are plenty of hot hatch drivers who know they have a lighter car and plenty of turbo to boot so want to show you up.

• Like 1

I also remember back in the days of owning an Astra :banned: that I went on their forum for a nose and having a row with a guy who boasted that his 1.7cdti had 'absolutely superb performance and often shows up Porsches' - some of these hatch owners (note, not all!) do have a bit of little man syndrome and want to race more powerful cars.

I also remember back in the days of owning an Astra :banned: that I went on their forum for a nose and having a row with a guy who boasted that his 1.7cdti had 'absolutely superb performance and often shows up Porsches' - some of these hatch owners (note, not all!) do have a bit of little man syndrome and want to race more powerful cars.

Not hot hatch drivers just vauxhall drivers in general :lol:

• Like 1

Had T/C on as it was a bit slippery out and I have only had the car 4 months or so. It's my first ever RWD car so I'm still learning!

It takes getting used to, can't go too hard in first, even second if it was wet. I always notice that T/c kicks in on the change to second which you loss a lot of power and momentum. I was overtaking at a normal pace a 13 plate golf GTD last night, just as I was half way past the boy floored it. Needless to say we came to a round about which slowed him down and I was behind him going onto the motorway,,, I am not mature in the slightest :lol: so I don't need to finish the story.. but about half an hour later I was driving up a dual carridge, again slowly over taking a Leon without noticing and he hammered it :lol: I couldn't be bothered again as I spend enough on petrol so pulled in but it reminded me of this topic as everyone I seemed to pass wasn't for having it.

14N that isn't too bad 350z + wet = crash :lol: good choice :thumbs:

A lot of these v6/v8 diesels and even the modern 4pot turbo diesels are pretty torquey and pull well from 40 onwards, but a zed on full chat, whilst not a hugely fast car, will still not be "left for dead" unless the Zed driver is not bothered and isn't actively racing.

I think a lot of people end up racing themselves rather than anyone else.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Think people took this a bit too seriously!!

Yeah I had a play with a 350z, and tbh, there wasn't a lot in it.

I think on a track that there wouldn't be much of a difference in time of who crosses the line first.

I think the term 'race' was a little out of context for what we were doing.

Accelerating onto dual carriageways etc, not street racing.

• Like 1

I remember having a play with a Citroen AX when I owned the VXR220. It pulled up alongside me, making a hell of a racket, so when the lights changed I nailed it as did he. I had 260bhp in a car weighing around 800kg, so around 325bhp/ton, and expected to leave him for dead.

I didn't.

We came round the roundabout, did the same thing, same result. One more time and this time I backed off as did he, we got level and I gave him a massive thumbs up for having a proper sleeper. No racing, no egos, just a bit of fun between two car nuts. Those old cars (including the Jetta) weigh a fraction of what modern day cars do, so you don't need massive power to keep up in a straight line with modern cars when moving. Zed has a ratio of 190bhp ish, Jetta probably weighs about a ton so only needs 190bhp to match a Zed. ;)

It can happen, but it's rare. The reality is that one person is usually being a bit of a tit, which I guess is where the presumptions come from.

• Like 1

I remember having a play with a Citroen AX when I owned the VXR220. It pulled up alongside me, making a hell of a racket, so when the lights changed I nailed it as did he. I had 260bhp in a car weighing around 800kg, so around 325bhp/ton, and expected to leave him for dead.

I didn't.

We came round the roundabout, did the same thing, same result. One more time and this time I backed off as did he, we got level and I gave him a massive thumbs up for having a proper sleeper. No racing, no egos, just a bit of fun between two car nuts. Those old cars (including the Jetta) weigh a fraction of what modern day cars do, so you don't need massive power to keep up in a straight line with modern cars when moving. Zed has a ratio of 190bhp ish, Jetta probably weighs about a ton so only needs 190bhp to match a Zed. ;)

It can happen, but it's rare. The reality is that one person is usually being a bit of a tit, which I guess is where the presumptions come from.

This!

The Queen Mary 2 cruise liner has 157,000 horsepower, but I guarantee that in a drag race a 19hp rib could leave it for dead. Power isn't everything, power is just one of the ingredients in a fast car.

Nissan 350Z 276bhp 1525kg 184bhp/ton

Nissan 350Z 296bhp 1525kg 197bhp/ton

Nissan 370Z 326bhp 1526kg 222bhp/ton

Nissan GT-R 473bhp 1740kg 276bhp/ton

Nissan GT-R 542bhp 1736kg 312bhp/ton

Renaultsport Clio 182 180bhp 1110kg 165bhp/ton

Vauxhall Corsa VXR 189bhp 1166kg 165bhp/ton

Honda Civic Type-R 198bhp 1267kg 158bhp/ton

Renaultsport Clio 197 197bhp 1240kg 161bhp/ton

Subaru Impreza Turbo 215bhp 1235kg 177bhp/ton

Porsche Boxster 241bhp 1305kg 188bhp/ton

Audi A3 3.2 quattro 247bhp 1495kg 168bhp/ton

BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe 261bhp 1395kg 190bhp/ton

Mitsubishi Evo VII 276bhp 1360kg 206bhp/ton

Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) 276bhp 1540kg 182bhp/ton

BMW M3 (E46) 338bhp 1570kg 219bhp/ton

BMW M3 (E92) 414bhp 1655kg 254bhp/ton

Audi RS4 414bhp 1650kg 255bhp/ton

BMW M6 500bhp 1710kg 297bhp/ton

Thought you all might find this interesting, just goes to show that a remapped hot hatch wont be too far off a stock 350

info found here: http://www.strikeeng...-top-speed.html

Edited by Jake4136

I didn't.

Nah, its just that you drive like Miss Daisy's chauffeur Dan :p

Edited by coldel

Nissan 350Z 276bhp 1525kg 184bhp/ton

Nissan 350Z 296bhp 1525kg 197bhp/ton

Nissan 370Z 326bhp 1466kg 222bhp/ton

Nissan GT-R 473bhp 1740kg 276bhp/ton

Nissan GT-R 542bhp 1736kg 312bhp/ton

Renaultsport Clio 182 180bhp 1110kg 165bhp/ton

Vauxhall Corsa VXR 189bhp 1166kg 165bhp/ton

Honda Civic Type-R 198bhp 1267kg 158bhp/ton

Renaultsport Clio 197 197bhp 1240kg 161bhp/ton

Subaru Impreza Turbo 215bhp 1235kg 177bhp/ton

Porsche Boxster 241bhp 1305kg 188bhp/ton

Audi A3 3.2 quattro 247bhp 1495kg 168bhp/ton

BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe 261bhp 1395kg 190bhp/ton

Mitsubishi Evo VII 276bhp 1360kg 206bhp/ton

Nissan Skyline GT-R (R33) 276bhp 1540kg 182bhp/ton

BMW M3 (E46) 338bhp 1570kg 219bhp/ton

BMW M3 (E92) 414bhp 1655kg 254bhp/ton

Audi RS4 414bhp 1650kg 255bhp/ton

BMW M6 500bhp 1710kg 297bhp/ton

Thought you all might find this interesting, just goes to show that a remapped hot hatch wont be too far off a stock 350

info found here: http://www.strikeeng...-top-speed.html

Nice stats, although that is all done at peak BHP levels, S2000 sitting at 3000 revs wont pull as hard as a Zed sitting at 4000 revs for instance even if it has a better bhp/tonne, its the area under the curve and all that which is more important.

Edited by coldel