Preparing for a beast of a commute.

Faraz

So I start uni next week and have decided to commute since i'm only going to have classes 3 days a week. :D

Edinburgh to Dundee = 160 Mile round trip.

Anybody selling a petrol pump? :lol:

On the plus side, it will be a pretty awesome drive - did something similar last year in the 320d so this should be that x10. B)

4 tanks of petrol every 3 weeks :scare: better you than me :p

I'm burning £120 of fuel a week at the moment in the Zed, travelling from Brum to London twice a week plus local commute. Luckily the company pay my expenses so I'm not fussed.

I'm burning £120 of fuel a week at the moment in the Zed, travelling from Brum to London twice a week plus local commute. Luckily the company pay my expenses so I'm not fussed.

Not too bad in your case because fuel is paid for. Do they pay for the depreciation of the car with mileage too and a set of tyres every year?

Not too bad in your case because fuel is paid for. Do they pay for the depreciation of the car with mileage too and a set of tyres every year?

50p a mile. I don't think it would be far off a set of tyres and a McDonalds breakfast on a Friday :lol:

I work full time and struggle a little with the finances involved of running a Z sometimes.

Normally this forum would be full of people telling the OP to keep the car but in this instance it doesn't make any sense, unless you or you're parents are loaded in which case why are you driving a Z anyway?

Just doing the maths here.... One trip there and back is likely to use a full tank of fuel if not more at about £90, 3X a week = £1080.00 a month :scare:

And thats being optimistic, it will probably take more than a full tank to get there and back!!

Er, not quite...

It's only 160 mile round trip and he's doing three trips a week. He can probably do two trips per tank if he's lucky, so assuming there are four weeks in a month, that's 12 trips a month, so six tanks of fuel a month. Let's say £100 / tank, so that's £600 / month on fuel, plus a bit more because really there's 30/31 days in a month, plus tyres, servicing, wear and tare, depreciation, car parking costs, etc... call it £800 / month MAX. But also, when I was at Uni we were only really there for 8 months of the year, so £800 x8 = £6,400 / year on costs?.. Probably about right with that kind of mileage...

I still say sod the car and live there, even if living is more expensive - you'll have a great time and make some brilliant friends.

Just doing the maths here.... One trip there and back is likely to use a full tank of fuel if not more at about £90, 3X a week = £1080.00 a month :scare:

And thats being optimistic, it will probably take more than a full tank to get there and back!!

160 round trip he said, so 480 miles a week. On that run should ekk out 28mpg (boring motorway)...so 17 gallon a week....so 110/120 quid a week. Not that bad and beats getting the train.

Er, not quite...

It's only 160 mile round trip and he's doing three trips a week. He can probably do two trips per tank if he's lucky, so assuming there are four weeks in a month, that's 12 trips a month, so six tanks of fuel a month. Let's say £100 / tank, so that's £600 / month on fuel, plus a bit more because really there's 30/31 days in a month, plus tyres, servicing, wear and tare, depreciation, car parking costs, etc... call it £800 / month MAX. But also, when I was at Uni we were only really there for 8 months of the year, so £800 x8 = £6,400 / year on costs?.. Probably about right with that kind of mileage...

I still say sod the car and live there, even if living is more expensive - you'll have a great time and make some brilliant friends.

Oops! I thought it was 160 mile to get there haha! Still, it aint gonna be cheap!

Hah, I just bought the car! - I wasn't intending to commute at first but changed my mind. I'll might even end up getting a flat in a few months.

It's only 3 times a week and a 160 mile round trip. Based on 30mpg it works out at just over £400 per month.

I'm in 4th year, so I've lived and enjoyed the campus lifestyle. I save on having to pay rent for a student flat and I don't drink. - that's how I can afford the fuel. :lol:

As for insurance, I just turned 21 so it's only around £700. B)

• Like 3

My car does around 380-400 miles aroud town, showing 25.7 on the gauge. You should easily do 30 mpg if not more at a steady 70.

400 Miles / Tank around town? I doubt I'd get that even if I got out and pushed!

Only had it 7 weeks but when I bought it I reset everything and I drove it on a slight run from Manchester to sandbach home then mostly back road blasting the mpg settled around 26, after 1000 miles I reset it again, I use the car to go to the gym 4 times a week which is ten miles around trip and occasion short trips, sometimes for a junction or to up the motorway. Im rarely stuck in traffic and the guage is showing 25.7mpg. My 290hp focus st used to show 22.9. Is my car a freak?

oh and the last two times I tanked it it shows 387 miles to empty,

Edited by maddog1982