Drifting the Zed at Santa Pod

Mack

That video demonstrates how good the cup holder is :)

Certainly is!

Good to see some more Z's out there on some UK drifting looked good any exterior footage?

Thanks!, no exterior footage but I have a load of stills. Ill get them up on photobucket.

Actually got the handbrake to work...!!! :thumbs:

Its not great in a straight line but fine if the tyre is already loaded from cornering.

You need a bucket seat! :)

That is for sure, there was plenty of arse sliding on the leather seats

• 4 months later...

I've decided against drifting the Zed, purely because it's my 'practical/comfy' car... I'll be getting another E36 drifter soon though :)

Something I don't mind fitting buckets and a hydraulic handbrake in, don't want to ruin the Zed!

That said, I do give it quite a bit of abuse, and will have to take it on track at some point....

Right! need to get on this...

when, where, how much... and will i ruin my car?

obviously i'll need to start saving for some rears right?

Whereabouts are you based? we can point you in the direction of your local track

HIt up some of your local tyre places and see if you can sweet talk them into selling you decent part worns for cheap or free :)

I've done some 'drifting' at Oulton Park in my previous car (SX). Did 2 days which were a sort of introduction to it all where they keep wetting 2 small tracks meaning you don't really use that much rubber, but then you aren't really drifting and just controlling slides until the track dries up some.

If you've not done any sideways stuff before I would definitely recommend this as your starting point. I think it was Drift One that hosted the days I did.

Edited by DARE350

Watching that video makes me miss my skid cars, and Santa Pod... But not all all the massive pot holes at the back of the big track :lol:

Our Zeds do skid really well, great engine for it too.

Looks like you had good fun though, did you get home & instantly book next month too?

I've done some 'drifting' at Oulton Park in my previous car (SX). Did 2 days which were a sort of introduction to it all where they keep wetting 2 small tracks meaning you don't really use that much rubber, but then you aren't really drifting and just controlling slides until the track dries up some.

If you've not done any sideways stuff before I would definitely recommend this as your starting point. I think it was Drift One that hosted the days I did.

ok great stuff.. i'll look into this..

ive done the drift taxi at Oulton park when they wet the track.. it was rubbish.. however i agree it would be a good starting point. i need to get this out of my system as im tempted by an ASDA car park on a sunday night in the wet.. not good

• 2 weeks later...

Whereabouts are you based? we can point you in the direction of your local track

HIt up some of your local tyre places and see if you can sweet talk them into selling you decent part worns for cheap or free :)

350z-uk drift day would be awesome you be best of at a place like norfolk where this anything to hit

Does look like great fun! How many sets of tyres did you get through on the day?

2 to 3 rear sets. I guess as I get better it will be more

I've decided against drifting the Zed, purely because it's my 'practical/comfy' car... I'll be getting another E36 drifter soon though :)

Something I don't mind fitting buckets and a hydraulic handbrake in, don't want to ruin the Zed!

That said, I do give it quite a bit of abuse, and will have to take it on track at some point....

Mines almost standard, just polybushed compression rods and and anti roll bars.

It drifts nicely, just turn off the traction control. I can still feel the stability control grabbing the brakes but Ive found a way to disable it for next time.

The car does heat the oil, drift it for a few mins then take it for a steady drive in high gear to cool down. When parked pop the bonnet to let the heat escape.

Around £65 + tyres and fuel. At santa pod there is a guy who will rent wheels with part worn tyres for £20 per set of rear tyres. He will also fit tyres for a few quid. He really has his work cut out, he must do 200 tyres in a day. Otherwise go down to your local tyre place and get the old worn tyres for next to nothing.

Good work man :) nice control

Think with the amount of Z's coming through we should try to do a 350 drift day with a little kidney/donut area for people that want to see what it's all about

Keep it up :thumbs:

Thanks Bizz, Im a complete beginner but its great fun, some selective video editing kept out the mistakes.

A 350z drift day is a brilliant idea, maybe attach it to one of the meets? If you have the contacts I'm in.

Watching that video makes me miss my skid cars, and Santa Pod... But not all all the massive pot holes at the back of the big track :lol:

Our Zeds do skid really well, great engine for it too.

Looks like you had good fun though, did you get home & instantly book next month too?

Due to other stuff I haven't been able to make it back, but I plan to do so. Ive got an oil cooler and a sump spacer when I get around to fitting them.

Edited by Mack
  • Like 1