Exhausts - sorry guys i have to ask :-/

Benedunn

I have no doubt this that gets asked over and over again and im very sorry to all you lot that have been around a while :blush:

Im mulling over exhausts .... as all new owners do i guess but im struggling badly with the options :wacko:

Anyone who saw my hello thread knows i fix and mod rx8's for a living so i have a lot of experience with most jap performance exhaust brands from £180 toyosports (japspeed) right through to the £1200 HKS systems (i have 1 :wacko: )

so this is where im stuck - i have my favourite exhausts for the rx8 - that doesnt mean im gonna like the same brands for the 350z but im really picky :blush: this is where id like your help!

now with the 8 i like the exhaust noise to be loud but not over powering ... BUT you also want a full stainless system ... which is difficult! and in the end i had to settle for monster intake and exhaust ports, headers, stock cat and racing beat on 1 car (subtle low down but opens right up at about 6000 - 9500 rpm) and the hks on the other (cawwww i love it! sounds like a formular 1 car :D ) - i hate that when under the car the stock cat looks ugly as.

anyway

so on the 8

toyo (japspeed) -cheap, nice noise, horrible fit, common as muck and generally to be avoided where possible - but not bad for the money

cobra - would genuinly prefer the toyo - the cobra back box doesnt have nearly enough baffles in it, drones and is like a jigsaw puzzle to fit - no fun at all!

japspeed - still no better than the toyo for sound but a better fit - not bad

racing beat - at 700 quid its getting expensive but very well made and subtle unless you want it to be loud - de-cat ruins it completely and makes it sound a hell of a lot like the toyo - Ok for someone a bit older with good taste and angry neighbours

Miltek - at near £800 retail shes crazy expensive BUT one of the best put together systems ive ever had the pleasure of working with, sounds amazing when the rest of system is stock - as soon as you decat the miltek it sets off car alarms and makes small children in Uganda cry, a bit of an oversight IMO since you wont be allowed on any UK track with it

Greddy - £900 - too expensive

HKS legamax - at £1200 its still worth every penny (but them im bias)

etc etc etc

what about with the zed though?

ive seen the Miltek's for sale and i like the look of them but are they as overpowering as they are on the 8 with a full system?

im really tempted to just go the full slog and get a plenum spacer, headers, y pipe and back box all right now .... long term id like a cossy plenum (zmanalax did a deal on them £650 or so - reccon thatll evr come back?)

so together will this work? and how loud is it gonna be (note: i know you ideally need to take the engine out for the headers ;-) )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350Z-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-DECAT-DE-CAT-PIPE-PIPES-/270412222723?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ef5d31103

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-350Z-3-5-V6-2003-MILLTEK-EXHAUST-CATBACK-/271039145521?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f1b312631

or would a full dual system be better?

anyone recommend a decent plenum spacer? preferably bought from a UK company? (keep it British and all that)

hope you can help!

Ben

(sorry for all the rx8 blabbering its all i know just at the min, ill catch up quit enough i promise ;) )

To answer your last question first: Speak to Wasso about a spacer http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/62446-custom-anodised-plenum-spacers-170-next-batch-march/

And definitely have a listen on Sunday - there'll be quite a variety to get you hearing gear around. I've just fitted a Japspeed K1. And although they get a bad rep on here for all the issues you've mentioned above - I love mine :)

The Milltek with HFC/decat pipes is very popular on here, kind of OEM sounding until you open her up then it's bliss (apparently, i've not heard it)

Cobra (resonated) is a very popular choice, good price (£425) for Y pipe back but the Y pipes have went up by about 40% to £275 I think. Similar to the Milltek only a little louder. Very good quality, british made and choice of tips.

I myself have the Invidia Gemini which is true dual with a cross over pipe in the centre section. Choice of tips again but these include titanium style ones. Not heard it side by side with the Cobra but it has a nice note low down and roars when on full chat :D Price is pretty good at about £850 from our traders.

I wouldn't touch Crapspeed with a bargepole after the negative reviews on here, too many fitting and quality issues.

Scorpion is pretty similar to the Cobra I think, has a nicer large back box but only comes with slash cut tips, so depends if thats your thing or not. Price is a little cheaper than the Cobra at about £375.

Thats all I can think of right about now, except for the Ark system which looks the dogs, and is similar to the Invidia I guess, but not heard it yet. Think the price is about £800.

There are of course other options, but these are the most popular.

The Milltek with HFC/decat pipes is very popular on here, kind of OEM sounding until you open her up then it's bliss (apparently, i've not heard it)

i like the sound of that!

Thank you so much for the very good reply too! youve helped a treat

1 last noob question - coming from rotors i have no experience with a hefty v block .... whats the benefit of the true dual systems?

Ben

i like the sound of that!

Thank you so much for the very good reply too! youve helped a treat

1 last noob question - coming from rotors i have no experience with a hefty v block .... whats the benefit of the true dual systems?

Ben

TBH - I'm no expert, but I think since there is a separate 2.5 - 3" pipe for each bank of 3 cylinders, it makes for a more free flowing exhaust and therefore an extra pony or 2 on a NA Zed compared for a 2 into 1 system. I really think it matters more so if you're charged, though.

Another vote for the Milltek, I had one with HFC's and a Pop Charger and it was spot on for what I wanted. I used the car everyday for commuting and it was free of drone and civilised but when under load it was lovely.... I also had a Buddy Club Pro Spec which was waaaaaaaaaay louder and droned awfully but I have to say I missed it at times when I took it off....

You should be able to hear a few combo's at the weekend but seeing your post you realise its a very personal thing so happy hunting for the perfect combo for you :thumbs:

Cheers for the plug guys :thumbs: (PM Received and replied)

It took me a very long time to decide on the 'right' exhaust for me. Some 3-4 years :lol:

I went for the Motordyne TDX V2. For me the sound is gorgeous, build quality is very good, but the price isn't cheap.

Those eBay headers look just like the japspeed ones, the manifolds are ment to take like 5 hours to fit so if I was you I would not be buying any cheap ones that are going to keep cracking. If I was you on and not wanting to spend silly money I'd do some research on manifolds.

I thought that the OEM manifolds are equal length already? Therefore is it really worth the expense and time to fit another with negligible quality and benefit.....?

From what I've heard you can actually get relatively good gains from manifolds, but not good enough that you'd do it unless your engine was out any way. Only going by other peoples comments on here with that comment though.

thats cool :) removing engine is what we do ... as they say practice makes perfect! it used to take me 2 days to take an rx8 engine out in the garage at home ... now with the workshop and proper tools we can (no joke) take 1 out from driving in in just 45 mins

zed engines watch out ;)

• 5 weeks later...

TBH it shows you how companies go. It's pretty much the same for the Z. Although half of it is the quality of exhaust and half is the sound you want. E.g. I had a true duel and it sounded awesome everyone told me. It was deep and bassy but I just didn't like it. I prefer a different sound :thumbs: