What a dick!!

glrnet

Meh. If the motorway was empty (which it probably was at 0500) then I dont see its a big deal .......... yep, watched video and didnt see another car. Not saying he shouldnt get banned but I saw more "dangerous" driving on my way to work this morning ;)

Totally agree! He only put himself in danger so not really a big deal, I did the same when I went 160 on my R6 but I didn't get caught ;)

I didn't have sound turned on when I watched this so can't comment on the guys personaility, but with regards to the driving I tend to agree, perfectly empty motorway at 5am? I'm sure this happens everyday on autobahns but in a less safe environment where there's more traffic.

I looked up the fastest speeding ticket for a car in The U.K. It's 172 mph,

I have it on pretty good authority that John Law once clocked a guy in a Veyron doing in excess of 200mph somewhere in the South of the UK, they had him on camera for a number of miles and basically bang to rights. He was obviously pretty well off so went to Nick Freeman to see what he could do about the charges he was facing - the police, rather than do him for excess speed were pursuing a dangerous driving offence.

The story I was told was that Freeman successfully proved that 200mph in a Veyron on an empty motorway was not "dangerous" and the charge was thrown out, and due to the fact you cant downgrade a charge, the guy driving walked. I have absolutely nothing to back this up and obviously cant tell you who told me, but its a cracker if its true :D

I looked up the fastest speeding ticket for a car in The U.K. It's 172 mph,

I have it on pretty good authority that John Law once clocked a guy in a Veyron doing in excess of 200mph somewhere in the South of the UK, they had him on camera for a number of miles and basically bang to rights. He was obviously pretty well off so went to Nick Freeman to see what he could do about the charges he was facing - the police, rather than do him for excess speed were pursuing a dangerous driving offence.

The story I was told was that Freeman successfully proved that 200mph in a Veyron on an empty motorway was not "dangerous" and the charge was thrown out, and due to the fact you cant downgrade a charge, the guy driving walked. I have absolutely nothing to back this up and obviously cant tell you who told me, but its a cracker if its true :D

He lives in Portsmouth and I have a pic somewhere with my nipper sat in his car :) heard the same story as he was bragging that money does buy you a bloody good solicitor and a judge :)

• Like 1

I have a few thoughts on this.

First off, doing that speed in those conditions in that car on that road is not inherently dangerous. If it was, then the autobahn would've self-destructed by now. What is dangerous is that your average road user is simply not expecting anyone to be doing that kind of speed, and thus is ill-prepared to either judge closing distances or otherwise predict the speed of the vehicle. At that speed you give yourself no chance to move if someone pulls out. Hell, it's bad enough at 70mph at times. This is why doing the ton on our roads isn't a very good idea, ignoring the legality of it or not.

Being banned for three years and taking an extended retest is pretty harsh, but only if the person banned isn't going to carry on driving any way.

His attitude was awful, but if the judge wasn't prepared to come on down on him like a ton of bricks then I struggle to get angry about it. He'd only have appealed anyway, which probably would've been allowed. That said, I'm far more upset about this sentence than I am the original 18 months given to Stuart Hall, so perhaps if enough people complain about it then it will be doubled? Seems to be the way to get things done, mob rule and all that.

I dont see much of an issue. Yes its illegal driving that fast in the UK. However, it was early in the morning, roads were clear. And the car can handle that sort of speed.

Only reason I think he should be given worse, is because of his attitude. Dismissing any sorrow over breaking the law, probably 80% of the uk has broke the law and even if ur not fussed, u still act all shy and sorry.

Plus I doubt he was staying in the fast lane. I get that the roads are empty but if he goes round a bend and takes racing route, hes gna hit someone doing 60.

Im sure weve all sped when your up at stupid oclock, and ive went past cop at 95 on m6 when it was like 4am, he followed me for a bit (slowed down obviously) and lookrd in car, seen it was only me and not me and a friend trying to show off and he slowed to 60 and just carried on.

Yeah sometimes u can bend the rules, but stupid bloke for how he acted. U do the crime u take the punishment.

Agreed it is a flagrant abuse of the law... but maybe the law needs to be changed.

Our road laws are so archaic it is mad.

I also struggle to believe that the German authorities will trust their citizens when it comes to appropriate speed (on the right roads) .... and this is a country that bans most images of violence (although I understand why!)

German roads are 10000% better than ours, mainly due to the fact their standard of driving is 10000% better. And trust me, even at speeds over 175mph you arent accidentally going to hit someone on the inside lane if there are two wide open ones outside it ;)

German roads are 10000% better than ours, mainly due to the fact their standard of driving is 10000% better. And trust me, even at speeds over 175mph you arent accidentally going to hit someone on the inside lane if there are two wide open ones outside it ;)

Their roads are probably smooth too. And not filled with nutcases driving 20mph in middle lane

Our motorways are actually in pretty good nick compared to the rest of Europe, its the lane discipline thats the bigggest difference - they use the outside lane for overtaking and then back on the inside, even if youre doing 140mph. TBH its the same all over Europe, we seem to be the only place where its acceptable to sit in the outside lane at 70 mph overtaking precisely **** all. :angry:

Please explain to me why the death rate in Germany per 100,000 of the population is 25% higher than ours and even worse on Autobahns at 50%, if their roads and driving standards are that great and keep in mind than nowhere near all autobahns have unrestricted speed limits.

Pete

Maybe because their roads actually move rather than being a continuous 20mph maelstrom? :lol:

If you have driven on the continent you'll know what Im talking about, I feel infinitely safer myself anyway.

Ive also just had a quick google and found that 12% of deaths occur on German motorways compared with 6% here, when you consider that a lot of Autobahn use in Germany is transit to other countries thats not terrible by any means. Our urban road death rate is considerably higher than theirs though, and when you consider that the US is higher than both despite 55 mph limits, maybe its not just down to the speed.

Too many do-gooders on performance car forums, which is ironic in itself.

None of you guys have ever exceeded the speed limit on a public road? If so, please get yourself a hybrid, save us the speech, and make yourself feel better by hugging a tree in the process! :lol:

Looks like he sped when no-one was around, so not like he was putting anyone at risk (according to the video). His attitude towards the court though is another matter entirely which I don't agree with.

But surely at 160+ mph in a car he didn't own he might well have not been capable of avoiding another car or lorry if he did come across one? It's probably fair to say that most people have exceeded the speed limit to a degree but that's a pretty extreme example!