"Engine Bogging Down"

Jewell

Hi guys,

got 2002/03 350Z import, its apparently got 40k miles on the clock, I had it serviced/new tyres, 2-3 weeks ago but I have this problem and it is gradually getting worse.

If I was to cruise at 80mph, you wouldn't notice anything, it works fine cruising, no misfires, nothing.

When I do a twisty road and I'm on and off the throttle quite hard this is when it happens.

The engine feels like it's not running on all cylinders, loss of power etc, steering wheel vibrates a little more than normal, so I go back to cruising, idle along, then 5 minutes later it's fine.

It basically happens when I have my foot down 90%+ on the throttle like something is flooding.

If I drive it hard, then sit at some traffic lights, it doesn't idle smoothly, it pops and farts, has never stalled though.

When serviced(not a Nissan dealer because it's quite far away) but still a garage with a good rep, they said the computer came up with zero faults.

Any ideas?

Sounds to me like you may have a vacuum leak somewhere mate... Have a check all around the intake manifold & listen out for a hissing sound..

Vac leaks can cause the engine to run lean, so the ECU will overcompensate & make it run too rich!! One of the methods I use to check for a leak is to get a can of propane gas, & give little squirts around any vac lines while the engine is running, soon as the leak is found; the gas will be drawn in via the leak & cause the engine to either dip in revs or stall..

Be careful while squirting gas around though!

You can also use carb cleaner, but this is far more combustable around hot engines.. So use with caution on a cold engine (if using carb cleaner) & have a fire extinguisher to hand, just in case!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MAF clean (Just a guess)

Also as stated above, could be a MAF, you can some times get away with giving them a gentle clean using pure alcohol & cotton buds gently over the sensor element...

Maybe clean out the throttle body too...

Something I wasn't aware of was that when idle the 350 is mapped to have the aircon on. So even with nothing wrong with the car, when idle and aircon on it is pretty jumpy. Not the problem but I imagine it could be making it worse when idle.

The car was doing it before the service, they changed the plugs.

Thanks guys, to check the MAF, how long will it take to check/labour etc? I don't do any work on the car, I haven't the time or knowledge to do anything to "advanced".

I've re-booked it in to the place that originally did the service asking them to fix that particular fault and they haven't, they should technically look at it again without charging? I don't mind paying, I dont want to pay twice though considering the original service cost me £436.

MAF gets my vote - the way you describe it is exactly the same symptoms as I had with a 4.0 RR recently - I used some CRC Air Cleanser Cleaner I got from Ebay. I took out the sensor and spent the afternoon spraying and letting it dry a few times and it showed an immediate improvement - but a couple of months later I changed the sensor anyway and instantly noticed a BIG difference then and it ran better than it had for years.

The car was doing it before the service, they changed the plugs.

Thanks guys, to check the MAF, how long will it take to check/labour etc? I don't do any work on the car, I haven't the time or knowledge to do anything to "advanced".

I've re-booked it in to the place that originally did the service asking them to fix that particular fault and they haven't, they should technically look at it again without charging? I don't mind paying, I dont want to pay twice though considering the original service cost me £436.

£436 for a service... Bloody hell I'm glad I'm a mechanic!!

They won't clean the MAF dude, they'll just charge you to change it & give you a load of **** n bull... Your best bet is to ask someone near by from this forum that can help, if you ain't confident enough to tackle it... But it's honestly a very easy job to do...

Edited by Japconvert

Just another tip I forgot to mention earlier... A quick test of your MAF is to unplug it while the engine is running, if there's no difference; its probably packed in or needs cleaning... If the engine stumbles or stalls, then it's working fine...

if your in or near suffolk you can pop round to mine and i'll do it for you and check the car over. got all the kit needed to clean a MAF and to fix vac leaks. no charge or cost, just helping out a forum member.

Good man Rich :thumbs:

@ OP - Where are you based - someone near maybe able to help :)

EDIT: Ha you beat me :lol:

Where in Devon are you?

Edited by Keyser

if your in or near suffolk you can pop round to mine and i'll do it for you and check the car over. got all the kit needed to clean a MAF and to fix vac leaks. no charge or cost, just helping out a forum member.

Good man Rich :thumbs:

@ OP - Where are you based - someone near maybe able to help :)

EDIT: Ha you beat me :lol:

Where in Devon are you?

its the whole point of a forum, i've been helped inn the past on previous forums and learnt so many things, and its the same on here, its always worth putting back in to a club, especially when there is so much available on here for free.

its also nice meeting new people.