council garage for zed?

jumping350

Currently my Z is having a make over and i hope it will come out prettier, my neighbour said I can rent one of his garages for cheap as he sold one of his cars.

first concern is, is it safe? I live on a quiet road in surrey with no estates. I know they are hotspots but this one is overlooked 4 ways and is 20second walk from my door, in fact walk out door look right and you can see it.

Does anyone currently use one to park their zed? Has anyone used anything to secure it better from inside?

When it comes back I would rather have it somewhere covered as elements/people hitting it when parked(which happened before it went)seem to have put it in its current state

any thoughts appreciated

Edited by jumping350

I think any lockable garage would be preferable over leaving it out in the open, and having it so close to your door is a big bonus.

There are aditional locks and floor anchors you can by, but I'm not sure how you'd stand with the council if you needed to dig a decent sized hole to fit them.

Definitely worth persuing (before your neighbour buys another car too)!

No wont be daily anymore but will b coming out quite often.Got a cover already, steering lock is good idea , I normally leave the battery indoors also just to be saferwill fund out about digging holes but i wanted something for inside as the more you put outside the more people will think there's something worth nicking.in going to post a note through his door now lol

Edited by jumping350

Don't use a car cover unless the car is washed everytime before you put it on: You'll scratch the paint something horrendous.

Inside a garage is always safer than outside. I wouldn't bother with any extra security, no real gain.

I doubt that your mate is allowed to rent out the garage to a third party, so he's probably breaking his tenancy agreement.

Depending how long the garage is (and whther you can dig a hole or not), you might be able to mount a lockable/removable security post behind the garage door.

Il have to check that out ekona thanks its not that expensive anyway so might just take over his tenancy, Car covers are pretty useless then if that happens and you have to keep washing car lol when car comes back Il see how much room I have left, but in essence my own mini zed shed yay!

• Like 1

The supra is in a council garage, there have been no problems but they are narrow (built for cars made 30 years ago which were a lot smaller back then!), my boyfriend has even put a second floor in for storage, only extras he has done are a draft excluder at the bottom of the door to stop the wind blowing dust and leaves in and he disconnects the battery as the car is rarely used. You may not be able to take over the tenancy as there are usually long waiting lists for council garages and it may be on a first come first served basis. Check with your insurance company whether your premiums will go up, some do as you're more likely to hit something in it (or a wall) and then claim.

if its a half decent area then go with the garage. I rented a council garage once, the area wasn't brilliant, and there was always groups of kids hanging around by them. I used to get paranoid when I used to put the car away with them watching my every move. I was always worrying when I returned as to what I would find. I ended up moving it after 3 months. best of luck with your choice.

Thanks for info and tips everyone much appreciated, I spoke to council they said becuase evryone owens a house/flat on my road and generally has a drive way and/or garage only 4 out of the 10 garages are in use (2 of which are my neighbours) no break ins in the last 3 years just one issue with an abandoned car in 2010. Said if i take it long term they would do me a deal and as long as I take it long term and dont destroy the inside Im free to do what I like in terms of shelves/security..overall pretty happy with that so will get the keys next week to have a look at them :thumbs:

• Like 2