Weird clutch pedal 'sticking' when hot/in traffic

longsh07

On my way home from work today my clutch pedal started to stick about halfway when I lift my foot off.

I had noticed it before and it appears to only be when the car gets hot or when I have to do a lot of stop/start driving in traffic.

Its happened a couple of times before when it was warm last year. Now its starting to warm up again its resurfaced.

The travel between the fully up and the point it sticks at doesn't have any effect on the car at all.

Its like the tiny bit of free play you find on most cars but considerably longer.

I had the clutch and flywheel replaced in the last year so I know thats good.

I also adjusted the clutch pedal when I had this issue previously but made no difference.

(edit) - also put a little WD40 on it after adjusting in case it was something in the pedal mechanism.

Checked the fluid level which is fine.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Video below - excuse the lack of shoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYCq2v2y5f8&feature=youtu.be

Edited by longsh07

I think its the master cylinder, not sure if they can be refurbed or not. It might just need new fluid etc but :pmzmanalex: im sure he will know for definite

That was my first though. Planning to have P3 service done soon so might ask Japex about it.

Will give alex a PM anyway as I am talking to him about service items as it is.

If heat makes a big difference I would be looking at the slave cylinder .

Cant tell if its heat or just traffic as obviously the car tends to get a little hotter in traffic than on the move. Dont recall it happening over the colder months but then again I didn't drive it as much then.

Thanks both!

Edited by longsh07

Does that when you adjust the clutch pedal :thumbs:

I guess it would have been adjusted when the clutch was changed?

Because first time I noticed it was after the clutch was done (before I adjusted it myself)

So some more fiddling may sort it?

Common issue Matt,

Fresh high temperature fluid, a braided line and a slave cyl will fix this issue 99% of the time.

All parts are in stock and good to go same/next day.

Just drop me a PM when you are ready for the service stuff and we can get this issue sorted at the same time.

Alex. :)

Alex has recently diagnosed the exact same symptoms for me after a long time sat in heat in traffic, mine hasn't gone fully back to normal after cooling down like yours did. It's way better than it was at the time, but it still feels a bit freaky sometimes in the recent warm weather. I fully bricked it at the time and assumed it was the clutch saying Adieu.

Thanks to Zman's service I now have the bits in my shed and she's due to go in for slave cylinder replacement next week. Given a bit of sunshie and traffic next Tuesday I'll happily report back to confirm if it has been remedied. Not that I have any reason to think it won't be, but you never know.

Because first time I noticed it was after the clutch was done (before I adjusted it myself)

Oh happened before you lowered the pedal? Ignore me then :p

Oh happened before you lowered the pedal? Ignore me then :p

Yeah, tried adjusting the pedal to fix it :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi sorry to hijack the thread but this has just happened to me. I have hardly any biting point, the clutch sticks half way down and my car will hardly go into any gears now! Any advice on what parts etc i will need to fix it as its pretty much unusable now!

Hi sorry to hijack the thread but this has just happened to me. I have hardly any biting point, the clutch sticks half way down and my car will hardly go into any gears now! Any advice on what parts etc i will need to fix it as its pretty much unusable now!

All parts are in stock to fix this issue mate.

Just drop me a PM and I will help you further.

Alex. :)

Its just old hydraulic fluid. Mine did this in traffic/long journeys really badly, all the way to the floor sometimes. I swapped the fluid for Motul rbf600 or 660. Cured the problem and its never happened since. As mentioned above, try this before buy spare parts

• 4 months later...

I've recently had a new clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder, plus fluids, molyslip and new clutch lines etc from Alex. Had them installed a couple of months back all working fine, decided to adjust my clutch pedal yesterday to lower the biting point. Only a fraction though, got between 3 & 4 lines of thread showing. Now the pedal feels a bit sticky and makes a kind of squeaky noise. I see Kyle r mentions this after adjustment, anything I can do to stop this?