Engine oil on tyres !!

frenshy

Just took my car (Range R not a zed) into local hand car wash guys for wash and wheel clean. He asked if I wanted the tyres dressed, first I said yeah ok, he lifts a bucket of black stuff and a brush and I ask what it is. He says its "OLD ENGINE OIL AND WATER" - I told him not to bother and he says "its fine its an old valeters trick"

SURELY not right???

I use places like this sometimes as car cleaning products don't agree with the skin on my hands so every now and again i give my skin a break and cheap out

A place like this a few weeks ago in a local garden centre car park i went too slopped on some black stuff from a filthy bucket with a paint brush.

By the time i got home i had black splashes up the sides of my car, never again.

When i clean at home i've found Turtle Wax Wet and Black my personal favourite.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Wax-Black-Tyre-Shine/dp/B0040HS6L4/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1371662877&sr=8-30&keywords=turtle+wax+tyre+dressing

Hmm.. I go to those polish run car wash garage and they always stick that black stuff round tyres (even when I say not to since ive white inked my writing on tyres). Got me wondering what their using now

Don't worry, they all pi$$ in a bucket. Enviro friendly and bio degradeable.

• Like 1

oil and water don't mix WTF is he talking about .don't go back....

I was thinking that but what about the sluddgy mayo when your head gasket is gone?

Oil and water will mix to make an emulsion (like mayo), but it requires an emulsifier. I did a job once treating the run off from the ford engine plant in Bridgend, all the run off from a few square miles is captured and treated before being let into the wild. It makes a pretty gruesome emmulsion. It'll seperate again if stood long enough.

If you see someone cooking and adding a bit of flour to a sauce it can act as an emulsifier and bring two immiscable liquids together, and bring a seperated sauce back from the dead. I'm assuming with head gasket mayo some other deposit in there creates the emulsion.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion

Hmm.. I go to those polish run car wash garage and they always stick that black stuff round tyres (even when I say not to since ive white inked my writing on tyres). Got me wondering what their using now

Should definately ask them what they are using - I certainly got the impression this wasnt a one-off trick, he seemed to think most hand car wash places do the same !

oil and water don't mix WTF is he talking about .don't go back....

I was thinking that but what about the sluddgy mayo when your head gasket is gone?

Oil and water will mix to make an emulsion (like mayo), but it requires an emulsifier. I did a job once treating the run off from the ford engine plant in Bridgend, all the run off from a few square miles is captured and treated before being let into the wild. It makes a pretty gruesome emmulsion. It'll seperate again if stood long enough.

If you see someone cooking and adding a bit of flour to a sauce it can act as an emulsifier and bring two immiscable liquids together, and bring a seperated sauce back from the dead. I'm assuming with head gasket mayo some other deposit in there creates the emulsion.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion

Only thing I know that can mix oil and water into custard is a rover K series engine id like to see someone try it with a bucket and a stick.

• Like 2

Just a note on this. I was a bit unsure of my local car wash.

While they wash I normally just wait outside, there was some big container there and had a look at writing. They just bulk order a massive tub of the tyre cleaner. Its probably cheapy cheap stuff. But atleast it is ordered for the purpose on the label.

May be worth just having a look around.

Edit: just fixing my spelling

edit: to fix my eyesight

Edited by ddcboyle