Chronic back problems/ nerve damage/ disc bulge

brown7758

Hi everyone,

Having been a member of the forum for a few years and knowing there are more than a few of us that suffer with back issues (glass backs as my old Military comrades named it) I thought id ask on here and see if there are any personal treatments or methods that you guys use to calm the symptoms and make daily life more bearable..

For me, I have bad nerve damage in the lower spine, along with numbness in my right leg.. :crutches:

Now I'm slightly younger than most sufferers of chronic back pain (28 now), it started in Jan 2010 in Afghanistan and I was medically discharged for it.

I find cycling and swimming are the only real methods of fitness training that I can carry out without severe pain, but daily tasks do cause me to have bad episodes, and when I have a good day, I do too much and then have a bad day..

There are some stretches I can ease some pain with etc.. Just wondering what else people do/ use.

Oh, just got a new bed yesterday, silentnight microcoil with memory topper (Super Kingsize of course) on an ivory leather sled bed :cloud9:

looking forward to anyone's input.

Will

I had a trapped nerve, what worked for me is plenty of straight leg stretching, squats and leg press nice and deep to really stretch out the muscles.

Unfortunately Taekwondo kicks seem to aggravate it, so I just tone them down a bit now.

My sister had surgery for bulging disc, long recovery period though.

• Like 1

I had a trapped nerve, what worked for me is plenty of straight leg stretching, squats and leg press nice and deep to really stretch out the muscles.

Unfortunately Taekwondo kicks seem to aggravate it, so I just tone them down a bit now.

My sister had surgery for bulging disc, long recovery period though.

Yeah, my squash career has taken a dive :surrender:

the straight leg stretching works in certain stretches, but severe aggravation in others..

twisted to get out of bed earlier and feel like I've been Teakwondo kicked to the spine!

The docs, surgeon and physio said that surgery isn't an option for me as my back pain is 90% of the source and leg pain is only 10%, but its scary when I get pins and needles where I shouldn't because of inflamed nerves..

New job in Thales Glasgow starting Monday, so really hoping for some sort of respite..

http://www.350z-uk.c...can-rebuild-him

Always someone out who has suffered as well. In this case, me!

My advice: Go and see a different doctor. Start again, as I know that I'm a completely different person now I can actually move and live normally. It's been almost exactly a year to the day ago since I had my op, and I actually wrote an email to my surgeon last week thanking him and his team for his efforts, as I can now enjoy my life.

The thread explains it all I think, but all I know for sure is that surgery fixed my completely and I would push like crazy to get it done again. Rather that than have to suffer.

http://www.350z-uk.c...can-rebuild-him

Always someone out who has suffered as well. In this case, me!

My advice: Go and see a different doctor. Start again, as I know that I'm a completely different person now I can actually move and live normally. It's been almost exactly a year to the day ago since I had my op, and I actually wrote an email to my surgeon last week thanking him and his team for his efforts, as I can now enjoy my life.

The thread explains it all I think, but all I know for sure is that surgery fixed my completely and I would push like crazy to get it done again. Rather that than have to suffer.

+1 My wife still has a major problem but she has at least 50% of a normal life now (and improving) because we eventually found a fantastic surgeon and then, in turn, a brilliant physio who actually understands the physiology of the spine, and then an excellent Pilates instructor who worked with the Physio....plus swimming which has now increased to over 180 lengths a week. As it happens the surgeon said that she should't have any more surgery (she had a very early Graf stabilisation) but his detailed analysis of the problem was critical. All our contacts are in and around London though.

yes I know how you all feel... dec 24 2011 had a discectomy as my left and right disc had erupted and trapped the sciatic nerve causing cramp pains to left and right upper back of leg and pins and needles in my feet. i had lovely pain free till april/may 2012 and then went back on the waiting list as the pains reoccured. new surgery again this Friday morning to cut more away, and hopefully cure the problem. the z seating wont help much though. hope you manage get things sorted mate.

The main issue with trying for surgery is that it is Disc bulges, not Prolapsed Disc.. and with this, they have more or less said that pain management through not overdoing anything is the only course (as you's have noted, second private opinion will be sought when I am in place at work properly as I dont want to screw this opportunity up before it even begins)

The pain is the obvious physical effects, but what alot of people don't comprehend is the mental anguish that chronic pain causes, feelings of uselessness, depression, anger, mood swings etc (the list is extensive) and couple these with PTSD from Afghanistan caused by both the Injury and the aftermath and your in for a hell of a ride.

Pain killers wise, Tramadol has no effect on me, same as the intravenous 10mg of morphine i was given in Afghan, the steroid injections also had no effect and now I feel that the 30/500 co-codomol is giving little help.

Im glad your recovery is going well Ekona, getting your life back must be in so many ways a freedom that you never thought you'd get :thumbs:

Good luck VeilsideZ, I really do hope it goes well, I wouldn't with this lifestyle on anyone!

I am positive in the most part, that's why the OP was aiming for the likes of has anyone tried a chiropractor or poss Acupuncture or maybe even someone doing a highland jig on their spine :dance:

My wife tried:

- 6 weeks at Unsted Park rehabilitation Centre

- Osteopaths

- Chiropractors

- 1 Month as an in-patient at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery

- Acupuncture and Electric Acupuncture

- Reflexology, Faith Healer

- Steroid injections

- 2 Operations

However, the things that have changed her life for the better have been having a a very expert Physiotherapist (these are rare when it comes to the spine), swimming and Pilates.

Having said that I know that some of the above list have worked on other people.

I know this sounds crazy but go to a decent sports doctor and get your legs measured. My problems were all down to my legs being of unequal length, 5/8 of an inch difference in fact. This was causing me to favour my right leg and causing pain on the left hand side of my lower back and into the buttock and down my leg. My doctor didn't spot this, neither did the NHS physio or the private one I visited. Sports doctor spotted almost it straight away, had another doctor come and accurately measure my legs, made me an insert (which I still use) and problem was gone in about a month. That was in January 1989 and in April that year I ran the London Marathon and no problems since.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I blame your old zed :lol: I've got some neck/ back/ shoulder problems but they are very minor in comparison.

I lie on 2 tennis balls with them on either side of my spine and run them up and down which seems to help me get things back in alignment for me.

What are you driving these days?

I know this sounds crazy but go to a decent sports doctor and get your legs measured. My problems were all down to my legs being of unequal length, 5/8 of an inch difference in fact. This was causing me to favour my right leg and causing pain on the left hand side of my lower back and into the buttock and down my leg. My doctor didn't spot this, neither did the NHS physio or the private one I visited. Sports doctor spotted almost it straight away, had another doctor come and accurately measure my legs, made me an insert (which I still use) and problem was gone in about a month. That was in January 1989 and in April that year I ran the London Marathon and no problems since.

Pete

Ive had an MRI that shows the issue (Feb 2010) and there has been some periods of worsening and of course periods of time when i feel better..

The Physios and doctors I had in my two bouts of 3 week intensive rehab have been highly trained RAF and civilian therapists and sports therapists, from the injury, ive got a twist on my hips and muscle degradation in my calf's, also a R knee issue, ruptured R quad and issues with my R ankle.. all from 2001, 2004 and 2008 respectively.

I can only wish you all the best with it. The spine is complex and there are issues relating to pain "referred" to or from other parts of the body and no doubt your other injuries affect your posture and movement. The only hopeful thing I can say is that at one stage my wife was almost "written-off" as a basket case (having been housebound for 10 months in one particular year) and now she has a reasonable life within certain limits. Good luck.

I blame your old zed :lol: I've got some neck/ back/ shoulder problems but they are very minor in comparison.

I lie on 2 tennis balls with them on either side of my spine and run them up and down which seems to help me get things back in alignment for me.

What are you driving these days?

Id never blame the Zed, even though the timeline fits :surrender:

I use a hard foam roller at times and the effect it has is great, but with the wrong movement (not by design of course) It can hurt quite a bit..

Ive had a few car issues after the Zed, one being the gearbox on my BMW 330D M sport giving up (tiptronic) 5k repair.. safe to say I got rid, got a runner after that in a Ford Mondeo 2.5 v6 ghia x, then a Volvo V50 that I gave up to my parents as being medically discharged caused me to have a lack of funds and now i am the proud owner of an MGF 2001 ;)

BUT!!!.... on Friday the 15th of this glorious month, I am planning to travel back to the badlands (England :blush: ) and take ownership of a Nissan Skyline R33 GTST in white if all goes well next week with work and funds B) fingers are well and truly crossed!

Edited by brown7758

Your symptoms sound identical to mine mate. Excruciating pain daily in the spine, and frequently numb right leg. Im 29 now but had surgery in 2008 at 24 which I would deem a failure. Like you say, the mental anguish is the hardest part, realising you can never do any proper exercise/sport again.

My surgery was to put a piece of artificial ligament in my spine which was supposed to ease the pressure on my discs. It was a horrible surgery and I was still struggling to walk 6 months later. Even now I can't be on my feet for more than 30mins, and I'm on the same coco 30/500 daily.

I hope you find a cure... I'm to scared to face surgery again as it was prett horrendous.

I've a very thin disc between L4 & L5 so I'm always pilled up.

If a nerve is trapped for a longish time I use an inversion table.

It works for me. It's a strange experience, so try a table before you buy.

Memory foam pillows help a lot too, in conjunction with that new bed.

I was thinking that exact thing last night.. was going to look online today

The ones with the proper conturing, and higher side for the neck are better. Not all memory foam pillows are created equal.

Another idea, is try some kinesiology strapping tape. I guess it would be the same over there, you'd purchase from a physio clinic. Same with the Kinesio tapes, some are very good, and will last 3 days and others come off almost immediately. I don't know if the good brands that are available over here are over there. The best tapes are highly flexible (with a wave design on the back), are water resistant (can be out doing sports in the pouring rain all day and they stay stead fast where they were put). Bonus they come in different colours too. Can be used where ever needs be.

I use Kensio tape myself and find it invaluable.

Here's a bit of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_therapeutic_tape

http://www.handsonphysio.co.nz/kinesio-taping/

http://www.howstuffworks.com/kinesiology-tape.htm

I don't know if this would your back or not, but it would definitely be worth talking to your physio about it.

Thanks Bronzee, my sports therapist used to strap me up every few days, esp before a tough swimming session, only issue is with the likes of that and my back brace.. they work very well and ease symptoms, but they are usually used as something to allow for proper rehabilitation so that it is not needed, otherwise its something used for life..

I'm studying to Do a practice called MAT. Muscle activation technique. It's big in USA and Canada . It's costing me a fortune to travel over there for it but its very clever. Have a search on you tube .

A lot of the time problems like yours is amplified and made worse than what it could be down to something simple like one of your deep inner leg muscle being weak. This MAT systematically tests and idenifies muscle imbalance and weakness.

There are a few people dong it in uk and I'd strongly recommend giving that a try.