The Donkey is now truly Fierce

fiercedonkey

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prescience
Yes did have the APS on before. Was fantastic in this format too - now just slightly mental!

Engine internals looked absolutely fine to the naked eye when they came out. Obviously can't comment on whether there was any sign of fatigue at the molecular level.

But then WRCT send their cars out with a conservative map! Safe fun in other words. With a proper map this settup should be safe, and Chris is certainly very tallented when it comes to mapping! WRC-T have done quite a few of these now on the stock motor without issue to date.

It was running 400hp/400 lb-ft before - enough for a big smile.

Cheers Nick

:thumbs::thumbs:

Also for the benefit of people who may wish to follow you, when you say WRCT managed it all for you, to what level was that. Did you simply say I would like an HKS-based solution with the APS TT an fuel kit and they gave advice on driveshafts/clutch etc and they ran with that, ordering all the parts etc or did you turn up with a boot full of bits and (paraphrasing greatly) say "get these babies installed" :lol:

Curious, because for people with cash but limited time, a complete end-to-end managed solution would be most appealing I would think :)

Guest prescience

Curious, because for people with cash but limited time, a complete end-to-end managed solution would be most appealing I would think :)

When the warranty is gone :thumbs: +2

Whilst awaiting the answer, it's clear even yet that this is something WRCT NEED to offer or give consideration to at least :)

Yup - Whilst I like fast cars, and would enjoy putting one together, I really havent got the knowledge on how to put these parts together, what parts are needed, or who can tune them.

Time in my life is seriously limited, and while Id love to drive a twin turbo or supercharged Z, I simply haven't got the time to do it.

If there were a company out there that could give you a date when they could book your Z in for a week, you drive down with a big fat cheque, and go back a week later to pick the car up, its a solution for me if and when I want to start modifying the "go" instead of the "show".

Guest prescience
Yup - Whilst I like fast cars, and would enjoy putting one together, I really havent got the knowledge on how to put these parts together, what parts are needed, or who can tune them.

Time in my life is seriously limited, and while Id love to drive a twin turbo or supercharged Z, I simply haven't got the time to do it.

If there were a company out there that could give you a date when they could book your Z in for a week, you drive down with a big fat cheque, and go back a week later to pick the car up, its a solution for me if and when I want to start modifying the "go" instead of the "show".

A "turnkey" solution in its truest sense; it's entirely practicable although it would probably need more than a week ;). It could even be called the 350Z-FD in honour of the trail blazer :lol:

WRC-T did the original APS-TT kit, which is a fairly standard kit to which they have a tried and tested installation process. That was done last year.

This project has been a completely different ball game all together - hence the use of the word "project". It has been more of a journey, with many choices to make on the way. Some things have cropped up on the and we have gone back and changed things. It has taken a huge amount of man hours in research both on my part and on the part of Allan at WRC-T and an equally large amount of time working on the car, but this is what it takes if you want it to be on the money!

I think it is fair to say that in doing something of this scale you cannot bolt a catalogue of bits to a car and drive away. Where would the fun in that be!

For sure I have learnt a huge amount about my car in doing this and what will work and what won't - for example the motor turned out so much torque on it's first run that it toasted an Exedy Twin Plate Carbon Hyper-clutch - oops!

Needless to say that WRC-T, although extremely capable of undertaking projects of this size and bigger - and I think it fair to say at this point they have done a fantastic job, I am over the moon with the way this has turned out - they too will have gained invaluable knowledge by doing this project. So the next person to have a go at something like this with a 350z at WRC-T will obviously have access to this knowledge too and the turn around may be quicker. Still it is always a big big job and it takes time - a good job should never be rushed.

Obviously I have taken a lot of advice from the Guys at WRC but I like to be heavily involved in what goes on with my cars and they have been very accomodating with this. I have probably been up at Silverstone I think nearly every week during this project; which constitutes many weeks of hard work!

The final result has been a culmination of joint decisions on many of the components, some Allan's choice, some mine - if you start off with one list you can bet it will be a very different list by the end! WRC-T have certainly managed the project, but they will give you what you want, not what they think you should want - obviously that goes within the boundaries of your choice being sensible and includes a certain amount of guidance to make sure the end result will make you go :yahoo:

The project continues - we still have some ancillaries to fit, gauges, brakes are a consideration and a few other bits and pieces.

The final map will have to wait for a few thousand more miles..... ;)

Hope this helps

Nick

in the US GTM and FP even pick your car up for free, and pay for your plane ticket to go pick it up again (US only offer though :( )

Guys, one thing to bear in mind for all those starting to think about doing similar stuff, is that with radical modifications like these, reliability will invariably decrease exponentially. By this I don't mean the car is going to blow up, but be prepared to have to go back "frequently" for things that can, and probably will, go wrong, be them minor stuff, niggles, etc.

Also, a minimum knowledge of how a FI car works is imo highly recommended, as if you haven't got a clue about what all those gauges do and mean.. you might miss vital stuff that could save your engine from blowing up if noticed early on ;)

We would like to thank Nick for allowing us to build this car for him. It was a pleasure working with him through all of the stages, looking at what we thought would work based on past experience, what the mighty internet says will / should work, sifting out the crap and of course balancing all of this within a budget and of course Nick's desires.

Whilst the car still has a few small items to be attended to, it has turned out as good as we were expecting on all fronts.

Nick's own input was considerable, we were comfortable with this, he is one of very few people with my own personal mobile number. We are equally happy to provide a written estimate along with gant chart planning for those that want a true "turn key solution".

Cheers

Allan

Cheers Allan

I think it's appropriate that I publically thank you for all the effort that has gone into this build;

This is the first car that I have seriously modified and my experience, thanks to all at WRC-T, has been very enjoyable and I have had a lot of fun! Hopefully a lot more fun to come!

I am extremely glad I chose to bring my car to WRC-T; at the end of the day one puts one's trust in the hands of a company and there seem to be a lot of unscrupulous operators in the industry. The work that Jamie and the guys on the shop floor have done has always been of the highest standard - not to mention the amount of personal interest they show in customers cars - how refreshing!

Then of course there's the all important tune. I do feel very fortunate to have had a tuner with Chris' talent working his magic on the car. Even before we did the build I was amazed how much grunt he got out of the stock engine while still running less boost than others and I think the recent dyno chart speaks for itself - even on a fairly immature engine. You'd have to go a long way to find a better setup than the service provided at WRC-T.

From my own first hand experience I can wholeheartedly recommend this company to anybody thinking of similar projects themselves.

As Allan states - I was heavily involved with my build and they were very relaxed with my presence which suited me well. However, if you are not that way inclined I'm sure they would happily run a project with minimal involvement required.

Thanks again guys

Nick

Alan hopeful the next car to be done will me mine ?

Nick hope to meet you at Silverstone. The build sounds fantastic cant wait to see it running.

:teeth:

Hiya Mark

We have 2 x APS TT installs started today on std engines. We are poised and ready for you to give us the go ahead. Are you up for Cosworth short block on yours ?

Allan

Guest prescience

I agree with so much of the above. When researching my Vortech, I learnt so much that was invaluable about the car (from the US forums :blush: ), I would not have wished to change that.

The installer Abbey was highly competent but not experienced and I must admit, short of the spanner work, I was heavily involved. In fact all the bits I bought to this end were mine and delivered to my home address - so in essence it was a 'boot-full' install. In fact when the map did not run in the first place, the 'knowledge' I had gained enabled me to contribute I think effectively in getting the car running.

I personally believe that the above knowledge (or similar) of the car is pretty near essential in ANY FI project.

Having said that and given my knowledge, such as it is, if I were to do it again I would not want nor need to get so heavily involved and a turnkey solution woud be appealing to me. It is up to others to determine for themselves whether the intermediate step of knowledge accumulation is essential, desirable or nugatory :)

For me it's academic, I'll never be involved in such a project on this car - ever again :)

I'd love to be able to drop my car off with a bootful of cash and comeback to a 500+ bhp beast and it be 100% reliable so I don't have to bother concerning my self with the in-between bits. I want it to be fast, I don't want to know how it works, just how fast can I get to 60 mph :teeth:

A simple (and unrealistic) request I know but thats the only real way I would bother going FI :)

It's just under 17.5 psi which is 1.2 bar

Wow, 2 bar should be 900 bhp++.... :thumbs:

Do it, do it.....:lol:

Boost controller, 1.2 to 2 bar?..... :scare:

The GT Garretts on the APS TT kit are quite small and so spool up very quickly - hence the fairly flat torque curve. However, they won't actually make much more boost than this beforre they become inefficient.

There is though the option putting bigger turbos on the current settup to make more torque - the fueling for this is certainly available with the current settup. I think the GT-30 series will fit in the current format.

Stop putting bad ideas in my head! :angry:;)

Don't forget this is my daily. :D