350z roadster or s2k

racinsun

Can anyone tell me what id be better buying , i have 7k budget and looking a convertible as a daily driver , ive not experienced the 350z but have found afew local examples that i plan to go and see if still avail .. Although my firends say the s2k is a better handling and quicker car , although its only a daily i will be attending afew drift and track days using the car (( for fun )) and would like the better alrounder . M sport and amg roadsters and convertibles are either rough,hihg miles or have other probs for my budget , ( m3 e46, amg w203 ) or too small ( z3,slk ) .

Ill more than likely be using the aa to do a report on any car i buy but will be flicking through the guide for faqs but if anyone has anything they can add to the list please let me know .

These are the 3 cars i found locally , red one being my favourite .

http://www.usedcarsni.com/85295262

http://www.usedcarsni.com/101649041

http://www.usedcarsni.com/111340534

All pointers and gneral info and banter appreciated , steve .

The S2K is the more fun car on track, due to the revvy engine. That same engine could be a bit tiring on roads, unless you're prepared to wring its neck.

Neither interior is great, the S2K is much more snug though. If you're drifting I'd get the Zed, if you're tracking I'd pick an S2K.

Both are fantastic and I'd be happy with either, but you need to drive both and see which you prefer.

My mate had an S2K which was lovely. From my limited experience it's difficult to say which you'd like better, which is really all that matters. Test drive some of each and see. I would have thought that you'd have to wring the neck of the S2K to get the power, which is fun if you're in the mood, but for lazy cruises to work, might not be so good.

The S2K is the more fun car on track, due to the revvy engine. That same engine could be a bit tiring on roads, unless you're prepared to wring its neck.

Neither interior is great, the S2K is much more snug though. If you're drifting I'd get the Zed, if you're tracking I'd pick an S2K.

Both are fantastic and I'd be happy with either, but you need to drive both and see which you prefer.

what would be the quicker car ( better base car ) or would they both be around the same with mild tuning ie exhuast , induction basic bolt on mods ..

does a 350 drift or slide well ?

ive driven so many hondas in my time i know what you mean by ringing thier neck and can give that torqueless feeling

My mate had an S2K which was lovely. From my limited experience it's difficult to say which you'd like better, which is really all that matters. Test drive some of each and see. I would have thought that you'd have to wring the neck of the S2K to get the power, which is fun if you're in the mood, but for lazy cruises to work, might not be so good.

how does you zed go compared to your friends s2k , ie straightline which has more power ? considering power to weight ?

These posts are just pointless, go and drive both and make your own mind up. Would you really buy a car based on other peoples opinions alone?

I've owned 3 350z and had an S2K last year. I didnt get on with the Honda in general as I found it too tinny and found the power delivery unsuited to modern roads. Having said that when I was in the mood for a good drive, it was glorious. The combo of that engine in the vtec zone and surely one of the best manual shifts ever really puts a smile on your face.

They are both good choices so go and make the final decision with a good drive of each.

I don't think he was flaming you mate, just pointing out that other people's opinions are fairly meaningless as only you know what you want from a car.

My mate used to get "****" shouted at him a lot in the S2K... I've not heard anyone shout that at me yet, but then I have a roof and my exhaust is loud! :lol:

Iv owned both and the S2K was more fun so if you want a toy it would be better but iv just gone for another 350Z (roadster this time) due to feeling like theres more power (313 feels better then the previous model IMO), looks better and if your drifting the 350 has the torque to get the back wheels lit up unlike the S2k which could be quite difficult sometimes with all the power being at the top end of the revs and a short wheel base

These posts are just pointless, go and drive both and make your own mind up. Would you really buy a car based on other peoples opinions alone?

Scarily enough, a lot of people do. They also believe what they read, hence all Audis have lifeless steering, all MX5s are brilliant etc.

what would be the quicker car ( better base car ) or would they both be around the same with mild tuning ie exhuast , induction basic bolt on mods ..

Depends on your definition of quicker. On the road there's nothing between them, Zed has more striaghtline grunt but the S2K weighs less so goes round corners better. I've only ever tracked both together one time, which was at Anglesey on the Coastal layout, and there wasn't anything between them. Zed perhaps had better lateral grip, but the S2K was more fun by a fair bit. I tracked my Zed ragtop a fair bit though across UK and Euro circuits, and enjoyed them all.

Zeds slide very well, loads of low down torque to overcome the resistance of the tyres y'see. :)

mine is a personal preference, i swapped from zed to S2K and was much happier, i prefered the interior of the honda, i liked the high transmission tunnel and the snug feel as it was like getting into a race car (if you could visually block out the passenger seat. i preffered the honda gear change, nd for driving out of Vtec its actually fine. lots of people give this impession that its a snails crawl up to 6000 rpm and then its like a turbo boost. its not, there is only a subtle difference between in and out of v tec, but the advantage is that what power and torque you have is with you all the way to 9000 rpm.

i found i had more fun in the s2k pootling with the roof down, as it brought a smile to my face in the summer, where as i had the coupe zed and i always felt i had to thrash it to make it feel like it was doing anything.

zed power is very linear, so you have to go very fast to feel like your going a bit fast. (if that makes sense) in the honda becuase of the revving etc there is alot more drama, so feels faster at lower speeds.

the s2k has gained the nickname widow maker with insurance companies, its more than capable at getting ts rear out, so many people do its meant that the S2k is a higher insurance bracket than the zed. you don;t need tonnes of torque to get the rears to slide you just need to learn how to drive properly.

both zed and s2k are at the limits of their tuning, yes you can spend thousands buying shiney bits for them, and you'll make them louder etc but only gain a small amount. both need FI to gain any real performance increase and both cost thousands to do so.

for me the zed is a better beginners car, its more forgiving if you get it wrong, the s2k is a bit more knife edge, when its there its fantastic but push to hard and it punishes yo alot more than the zed did. and i think part of that comes down to the weight. but if both cars are well set up with good tyres, and a good geo setup both can be good cars for both track and drifting.

both my cars were daily drivers, yes the zed is better on a long haul with a passenger as there is more cabin space, but both cars are useable.

out of the 2 cars i miss my s2k, and i don;t miss my zed. but this is my opinion, you need to find what suits your driving abilities.

• Like 1

Drove an almost new S2K about 9 years ago and was very impressed. Lovely engine, really smooth and the car isn't as rattly as a Zed over rough surfaces. A bit too cramped inside for me with my long legs and arms and lacks the presence of the 350Z on the road, otherwise a fine car, a close second to the 350Z and well ahead of The Z4 and TT. Just my opinion :).

Pete

I don't think he was flaming you mate, just pointing out that other people's opinions are fairly meaningless as only you know what you want from a car.

My mate used to get "****" shouted at him a lot in the S2K... I've not heard anyone shout that at me yet, but then I have a roof and my exhaust is loud! :lol:

having had afew rev5 tubbys and n/a mr2s i can handle the jealous banter when sonmeone sees a car they like but have to be a hater . lol

Iv owned both and the S2K was more fun so if you want a toy it would be better but iv just gone for another 350Z (roadster this time) due to feeling like theres more power (313 feels better then the previous model IMO), looks better and if your drifting the 350 has the torque to get the back wheels lit up unlike the S2k which could be quite difficult sometimes with all the power being at the top end of the revs and a short wheel base

i think the 313 is out of my budget theres not that many roadsters avail overhere in n.i. unforuntately , an amount of hardtops but its not what i want ..

Scarily enough, a lot of people do. They also believe what they read, hence all Audis have lifeless steering, all MX5s are brilliant etc.

Depends on your definition of quicker. On the road there's nothing between them, Zed has more striaghtline grunt but the S2K weighs less so goes round corners better. I've only ever tracked both together one time, which was at Anglesey on the Coastal layout, and there wasn't anything between them. Zed perhaps had better lateral grip, but the S2K was more fun by a fair bit. I tracked my Zed ragtop a fair bit though across UK and Euro circuits, and enjoyed them all.

Zeds slide very well, loads of low down torque to overcome the resistance of the tyres y'see. :)

this is info i was looking how they compare so even with the extra weight on the zed theres no difference ? as for track and drift days its just for afew days a year .

as for s2 sliding drifting they definately do ive afew friends with the s2k

Edited by racinsun

Drove an almost new S2K about 9 years ago and was very impressed. Lovely engine, really smooth and the car isn't as rattly as a Zed over rough surfaces. A bit too cramped inside for me with my long legs and arms and lacks the presence of the 350Z on the road, otherwise a fine car, a close second to the 350Z and well ahead of The Z4 and TT. Just my opinion :).

Pete

ive a new tt tdi ( 2012 ) great cars but its more for the wife than me ..

mine is a personal preference, i swapped from zed to S2K and was much happier, i prefered the interior of the honda, i liked the high transmission tunnel and the snug feel as it was like getting into a race car (if you could visually block out the passenger seat. i preffered the honda gear change, nd for driving out of Vtec its actually fine. lots of people give this impession that its a snails crawl up to 6000 rpm and then its like a turbo boost. its not, there is only a subtle difference between in and out of v tec, but the advantage is that what power and torque you have is with you all the way to 9000 rpm.

i found i had more fun in the s2k pootling with the roof down, as it brought a smile to my face in the summer, where as i had the coupe zed and i always felt i had to thrash it to make it feel like it was doing anything.

zed power is very linear, so you have to go very fast to feel like your going a bit fast. (if that makes sense) in the honda becuase of the revving etc there is alot more drama, so feels faster at lower speeds.

the s2k has gained the nickname widow maker with insurance companies, its more than capable at getting ts rear out, so many people do its meant that the S2k is a higher insurance bracket than the zed. you don;t need tonnes of torque to get the rears to slide you just need to learn how to drive properly.

both zed and s2k are at the limits of their tuning, yes you can spend thousands buying shiney bits for them, and you'll make them louder etc but only gain a small amount. both need FI to gain any real performance increase and both cost thousands to do so.

for me the zed is a better beginners car, its more forgiving if you get it wrong, the s2k is a bit more knife edge, when its there its fantastic but push to hard and it punishes yo alot more than the zed did. and i think part of that comes down to the weight. but if both cars are well set up with good tyres, and a good geo setup both can be good cars for both track and drifting.

both my cars were daily drivers, yes the zed is better on a long haul with a passenger as there is more cabin space, but both cars are useable.

out of the 2 cars i miss my s2k, and i don;t miss my zed. but this is my opinion, you need to find what suits your driving abilities.

kind of forum info im looking at , many thanks ... i iwll be driving 2 350zs this weekend

Pete

ive a new tt tdi ( 2012 ) great cars but its more for the wife than me ..

Yeah, I agree they are a decent car nowadays, I was thinking of the older models which compare in price to a 350Z, S2K.

Pete

Oh dear this is souding like the usual 350z - RX8 thread!

I have sat in a S2000 when they came out new. My mate who is 6foot tall with the seat right back cant fit in it! I did leave an S2000 for dead uphill in my 350 (313) roadster , but they are chalk and cheese like a lot of these comparisons. Everyone likes different things, the only way is to try them both. The zed is a solid balls out machine(313 engine has plenty of torque and quite refined). The previous engines are far nore revvy and I fin engaging to drive. The S2000 will be similar to the RX8 I used to have in that you need to rev the pants off it, get to the sweet spot and it flies like a soddin jet engined plane! The S2000 will probably want to kill you quicker than the Zed but you cant compare them.

Try both and see what fits your personal taste. They are both great cars for different reasons.

Enjoy them.

Oh dont forget RX8's but second hand they will all be thrashed to death by now....

Oh dear this is souding like the usual 350z - RX8 thread!

I have sat in a S2000 when they came out new. My mate who is 6foot tall with the seat right back cant fit in it! I did leave an S2000 for dead uphill in my 350 (313) roadster , but they are chalk and cheese like a lot of these comparisons. Everyone likes different things, the only way is to try them both. The zed is a solid balls out machine(313 engine has plenty of torque and quite refined). The previous engines are far nore revvy and I fin engaging to drive. The S2000 will be similar to the RX8 I used to have in that you need to rev the pants off it, get to the sweet spot and it flies like a soddin jet engined plane! The S2000 will probably want to kill you quicker than the Zed but you cant compare them.

Try both and see what fits your personal taste. They are both great cars for different reasons.

Enjoy them.

Oh dont forget RX8's but second hand they will all be thrashed to death by now....

hi agree with leg room as per most 2 seaters , i used to work for mazda uk and i agree hit the right revs and your away hidden torque in an rx-8 ..

Regarding the AA check before you buy, don't do it. They will pick up the stupidest and smallest non-issues and end up putting you off. Person that wanted my previous car before the Z had one of the inspections done and was basically talked out of because the engine apparently made a 'audible ticking noise'... There was nothing wrong with it, having had a new cambelt and major service 4000 miles previously by a very experienced mechanic that I know well.

If I was in that position I'd take a proper mechanic or a friend who knows about cars or the car you want in particular as they will know what's normal and what's not.