Anybody tried painting their engine cover? HR Engine only!

The Bounty Bar Kid

i woulld smooth first as it will help key the surface before painting. with the heat in the engine bay paint an become brittle, so a good key and a good plastic primer will make all the difference. i'd also go with a petroluem resistant laquer as its a dirty area in there and it will help protect the paint.

i woulld smooth first as it will help key the surface before painting. with the heat in the engine bay paint an become brittle, so a good key and a good plastic primer will make all the difference. i'd also go with a petroluem resistant laquer as its a dirty area in there and it will help protect the paint.

Using the VHT paints. Got a cleaner/de greaser, then a primer, then paint to,lowed by lacquer. Should that be OK? There stuff I would have thought would be adequate.

I've not painted an engine cover for a 350Z but I have painted the rectangle strip (I think that was smooth already though) that sat over the plenum in my 300ZX and the engine cover on my MG ZS - this has a slightly dimpled / textured finish

I just used standard aerosol car spray paint on top of an plasticoat primer. IIRC I then rubbed it down after each coat and then topped it with a clear laquer. I had no problems with heat / dirt damaging them either. The only issue I had was on the MG was that under bonnet insulation made contact with it and rubbed.

HR model only pls. Looking at doing mine tomorrow and I was wondering if I should smooth it then paint, or just paint it textured. Anybody got pics of theirs? So I can compare the finish/look.

Cheers in advance.

I did mine Dip and a right old mess I made of it:(