light scratches advice please

naz2k5

Hi guys,

I got these light scratches on the panel behind my window. Unfortunately it came from my stupidty, when i rubbed off some cigarette ash with a rough McDonalds tissue.

The reason im asking is because i dont think the autoglym resin polish would help on the glossy black panel, as you can see in the pics.

Any help would be appreciated on how to remove these.

Thanks,

Naz

image2_zps6fcc7d87.jpeg

image_zps5c197734.jpeg

image1_zpsfba764d1.jpeg

when i rubbed off some cigarette ash with a rough McDonalds tissue.

Are you the incredible hulk or something?! :lol: That must have been some tough rubbing! Have you tried giving it a wax to see if that minimises the visibility? Normally I'd say some t-cut could sort it, but if a tissue did that I wouldn't like to see what tcut would do!

Maybe a perfect excuse for you to invest in some rear carbon ones? :)

• Like 2

Are you the incredible hulk or something?! :lol: That must have been some tough rubbing! Have you tried giving it a wax to see if that minimises the visibility? Normally I'd say some t-cut could sort it, but if a tissue did that I wouldn't like to see what tcut would do!

Maybe a perfect excuse for you to invest in some rear carbon ones? :)

yeh i was surprised by that aswell, but im pretty sure that's what caused it :wacko:

wrap them in carbon or gloss black wrap is a simple way other than that its alot of elbow grease as they are plastic

but yeh i guess that carbon wrap is a pretty awesome idea.

Light cutting agent and a DA will probably sort that out. If you don't have that, I'd try something like Megs Ultimate Compound and some elbow grease, the worse that can happen is that it does nothing and then you need to replace/wrap anyway.

As Ekona says, polishing them out with a DA would be the best way - Megs Plastx might be worth a try (I've never used it so I've no idea what it's actually like). You might have some luck by hand but it'll be a fair bit of work I would have thought. The other options being something with a lot of fillers (Black Hole, for example) to mask it but that would be a very short term solution and would need re-doing regularly or, as already mentioned, wrapping/replacing them.

Normally I'd say some t-cut could sort it, but if a tissue did that I wouldn't like to see what tcut would do!

Who on this forum still uses T-Cut?!?!?!?!?

Too agressive I would say

Normally I'd say some t-cut could sort it, but if a tissue did that I wouldn't like to see what tcut would do!

Me.

Me.

Ok

Do you guys wax this? I have similar marks and have been thinking of some carbon covers, nut might try polishing them first. I'v never waxed them though, so just curious if this is the "done thing"?

Polishing equipment will have that out in minutes.

Exactly the same as headlights, the correct compound (I use various from Menzerna to 3M) but Ultimate Compound is a good basic compound.

It will come out.

Do you guys wax this? I have similar marks and have been thinking of some carbon covers, nut might try polishing them first. I'v never waxed them though, so just curious if this is the "done thing"?

Wax everything :lol: except lights and windows that is.