Unsolicited sales Emails at work

ATTAK Z

"I don't doubt these degrees are hard work etc etc but it is in no way a sign of how intelligent a person is."

I am sorry but that is nonsense. You don't get awarded a Masters or PhD for just turning up and 'working hard' as though you were carting bricks around a building site. If you are not intelligent it doesn't matter how 'hard' you work, you will not be awarded a higher academic qualification. I don't have a willy but I can assure you that, if I did, I would not be waving it :angry:

"I don't doubt these degrees are hard work etc etc but it is in no way a sign of how intelligent a person is."

I am sorry but that is nonsense. You don't get awarded a Masters or PhD for just turning up and 'working hard' as though you were carting bricks around a building site. If you are not intelligent it doesn't matter how 'hard' you work, you will not be awarded a higher academic qualification. I don't have a willy but I can assure you that, if I did, I would not be waving it :angry:

i might be wrong but i think what Dblock was expressing is that intellect doesn't equal intelligence ( he will let me know if I'm wrong :shrug: )You can study for and pass your masters phD ETC in any given subject but that doesn't equate to intelligence . Anyone from high to low can learn from experience in the real world , Take this 350z forum for example not everyone on here has a degree but we all seek out help from people with experience and that is something which in most cases can't be taught it is gained.

So in theory someone who humps bricks for a living or someone with a phD could answer a question about my Z and both worked hard for what they have.

you might not have a willy but your still waving ;)

• Like 1

'you might not have a willy but your still waving'

Am I? In what way? Can you explain what intelligence is if it is not cleverness? I am a very practical and highly logical person and have no problem working out how to use the various machines that I need to do my job. I am largely self-taught and yet manage to do printing and embroidery to a high standard so, by your measure, am I intelligent or not? Bear in mind that you have no idea if I possess any academic qualifications but, presumably, you don't need to know since you measure intelligence in a wholly different way?

I am intrigued to hear your answer.

'you might not have a willy but your still waving'

Am I? In what way? Can you explain what intelligence is if it is not cleverness? I am a very practical and highly logical person and have no problem working out how to use the various machines that I need to do my job. I am largely self-taught and yet manage to do printing and embroidery to a high standard so, by your measure, am I intelligent or not? Bear in mind that you have no idea if I possess any academic qualifications but, presumably, you don't need to know since you measure intelligence in a wholly different way?

I am intrigued to hear your answer.

Well first I'd try reading my post as i said " intellect doesn't equal intelligence " Academic qualifications are not a measure of an individuals intelligence. How many historians can wire a plug or how many electricians can teach history as its selective.

You have experience in your profession which equals intelligence to that specific task as have i but i dont class myself as intelligent just i know my job. "simples"

Please don"t take offence as its just my opinion.

I would like to add though whats the most used letters you see after a name ? RGT HON and how many politicians can really have that after there name :stir:

And you did post your ignorance that that humping bricks is no measure to getting a degree but fail to realise that both need intelligence .also one that has one can't do the others job.

Edited by raduv66

But your assertion that intellect doesn't equal intelligence makes no sense I'm afraid :wacko:

Why on earth would an historian be unable to wire a plug? Again, your statement is illogical. Exactly what is it about an historian that would render him or her incapable of wiring a plug in your opinion? I love a good debate but there simply has to be a certain measure of logic brought to bear on the topic under discussion and, in this case, unless I am so lacking in intelligence/intellect that I cannot follow your argument, I cannot see any. Sorry.

I am completely apolitical but I don't think any politician is honourable in the sense in which you mean it so that is one thing that we can agree upon :)

Dave, i understand what you are saying but it is a fallacy though, or at least in my experience. Intelligent people can be full of common sense. Stupid people on the other hand ...

The Darwin awards are probably not awarded to that many academics if you think about it :lol:

Also, if you needed brain surgery would you rather have your operation performed by a highly intelligent man who has practised brain surgery or an electrician? :scare: I mean how hard can it be? The brain is full of 'wiring' after all :lol:

p.s. I hope I am still allowed to park next to you in Wales? :p

p.p.s. I am in no way belittling electricians (I haven't the brains to become one :blush: ) or hod carriers. Each to their own I say. I value both practical and academic skills and try never to judge anyone based on their occupation.

Edited by twobears

Dblock, do you have letters to put after your name?

No but that's not why I think it's naff. Even if I had a phd I wouldn't stuff it down people's throat.

Stuffing it down people's throat, what an email? Wow.

But your assertion that intellect doesn't equal intelligence makes no sense I'm afraid :wacko:

Why on earth would an historian be unable to wire a plug? Again, your statement is illogical. Exactly what is it about an historian that would render him or her incapable of wiring a plug in your opinion? I love a good debate but there simply has to be a certain measure of logic brought to bear on the topic under discussion and, in this case, unless I am so lacking in intelligence/intellect that I cannot follow your argument, I cannot see any. Sorry.

I am completely apolitical but I don't think any politician is honourable in the sense in which you mean it so that is one thing that we can agree upon :)

small.steps one thing we.almost agree on ;)

Example i have a friend ( hard to believe yes :lol: )has his own software company ( bluesource ) if if no one believes me very successful . But a SMD put it best no common sense poor bloke can't decorate , clean a car or even put up crimbo decs.

You could say hey ho he got the money to get someone to do it for him but his just brain power and no imagination .

This is where academic qualifications and experience on a subject is a fine line between being able to achieve something and reading it in a book .

Im trying not to be to downbeat on learning ( new skills that is :teeth: )

Your friend sounds like a liability :scare::lol: As much as I'd love to start my own software company I would hate to lose the ability to decorate, clean my car or put up my Christmas decorations since at least one of those things is something I really enjoy. Not saying which one though, except to say that I normally do it in the middle of December :p

Dave, i understand what you are saying but it is a fallacy though, or at least in my experience. Intelligent people can be full of common sense. Stupid people on the other hand ...

The Darwin awards are probably not awarded to that many academics if you think about it :lol:

Also, if you needed brain surgery would you rather have your operation performed by a highly intelligent man who has practised brain surgery or an electrician? :scare: I mean how hard can it be? The brain is full of 'wiring' after all :lol:

p.p.s. I am in no way belittling electricians (I haven't the brains to become one :blush: ) or hod carriers. Each to their own I say. I value both practical and academic skills and try never to judge anyone based on their occupation.

Yes there are always exceptions but that doesn't prove the rule...

Take my boss (please) he is a highly intelligent chap, enough letters after his name to give DBlock a migraine but no common sense...

I once told him we were maxed out on motive units at work, he then took on extra work and send an email to all and sundry that he had worked out that we had the capacity to load the extra work in spare trailers we had...

I sent him a short reply asking how they were going to move on their own :doh:

He also has no social skills, a girl that worked for me's father passed away and when she came back I just said to her I was there if she needed to talk and waited for her to choose the time.... My boss came in, sat down next to her and said "sorry to hear about you Dad, what happened?"

Needless to say she ran out in floods of tears.... genius!

• Like 1

And how would you like a brain surgeons building your house :scare: or an electricians rebuilding your engine :scare: A massage therapist flying you off on holiday :scare:

You seem to be of an opinion that if you have a degree in something then you can do anything even though they are specific skill sets for the job in hand.

All take hard work but do you see that a bricklayer,electrician or plumbers need letters after there names ?

Your friend sounds like a liability :scare::lol: As much as I'd love to start my own software company I would hate to lose the ability to decorate, clean my car or put up my Christmas decorations since at least one of those things is something I really enjoy. Not saying which one though, except to say that I normally do it in the middle of December :p

agree where is the fun if you haven't done it yourself :shrug:

raduv66, my all time favourite brain surgeon doubles as a builder dontcha know? :lol:

You misunderstand me if you think I am saying that having a degree qualifies you to do any job you like :scare: What I am trying to say is that simple common sense is just that i.e. simple for most people, academics included. Laying bricks or re-wiring a house needs to be learnt so I don't include them as jobs requiring simply a modicum of common sense. Wiring a plug on the other hand is something that even I could do given a following wind ... ;)

Don't get us started on EQ :boxing: I could write something really inflammatory about IT bods and social skills but I won't, especially as Mr TwoBears is IT oriented :surrender:

Go on I dare ya :ban::lol:

I dare ya too :p

BTW, are you saying Mr TwoBears is socially inept? :lol:

Can't take you up on that dare this evening DoogyRev 'cos I haven't had my Brave Pills :lol:

"BTW, are you saying Mr TwoBears is socially inept?"

I will leave that for those that meet him to judge :stir: Ha ha. No, he's great really :huglove:

No but that's not why I think it's naff. Even if I had a phd I wouldn't stuff it down people's throat.

Exactly.

Three little letters within an email signature is hardly having a party on someones front lawn with your motor board on your head screaming how much better than everyone else they are....

raduv66, my all time favourite brain surgeon doubles as a builder dontcha know? :lol:

You misunderstand me if you think I am saying that having a degree qualifies you to do any job you like :scare: What I am trying to say is that simple common sense is just that i.e. simple for most people, academics included. Laying bricks or re-wiring a house needs to be learnt so I don't include them as jobs requiring simply a modicum of common sense. Wiring a plug on the other hand is something that even I could do given a following wind ... ;)

Load of rubbish. The most academic people I have worked with are the biggest idiots.

When most peoples car are broken they take it to a garage. Is it because they are too clever to fix them themselves? Most rich business men are they academic? I mean if they are so clever why aren't they rich?

Exactly.

Three little letters within an email signature is hardly having a party on someones front lawn with your motor board on your head screaming how much better than everyone else they are....

Wasn't saying he was stuffing it down my throat? People who do stuff like that, correct peoples grammar and spelling have massive egos. Always. They have to let you know at any possibility they are better than you.

Exactly.

Wasn't saying he was stuffing it down my throat? People who do stuff like that, correct peoples grammar and spelling have massive egos. Always. They have to let you know at any possibility they are better than you.

Just like everyone in a flash car is a ****er.

#generalisation