How much s**t before it becomes a personal attack?

Stutopia

I remember my Mum bought a brand new Capri in Daytona yellow with black vinyl roof back in around '75 or '76, left it parked under a tree (evidently filled with incontinent birds) with the sunroof open...needless to say when she returned the black vinyl front seats were no longer black :scare:

Those of you bragging about killing animals simply because they crap on your precious cars or eat seeds out of gardens etc make me depressed. Just because you can kill something with your little pop guns doesn't mean you should. It's cruel and you should grow up.

• Like 2

Those of you bragging about killing animals simply because they crap on your precious cars or eat seeds out of gardens etc make me depressed. Just because you can kill something with your little pop guns doesn't mean you should. It's cruel and you should grow up.

Its perfectly legal to kill vermin like pigeons, rats, rabbits & grey squirrels. Around my way they cause thousands of pounds of damage to farmers crops and they are more than happy to let you shoot them. Its also perfectly normal to eat what you shoot (certainly pigeons & rabbits) as they are low fat, healthy, free and very tasty. Id much rather know the history of what im eating rather then buying some random bit of meat in the supermarket not knowing how its been treated or where its come from.

As for the pop gun comment, its not as if we are talking about some kids toy cap gun. The air rifles mentioned are professional (and expensive) weapons and more than capable of a clean humane instant kill at 45 yards, which is around about the same range as id aim to shoot something with my shotguns.

We would clearly never see eye to eye on this but I will agree that free range food would be preferable to some of those pies you review ;)

Farming is one issue, as is killing to eat; but killing pigeons (which were introduced here by people) (or anything else) for crapping on a car or because they are problem in a garden is just plain wrong in my view. I'm not some animal rights nut but it's a question of balance. Why is someone's garden or car more valuable that the lives of animals that have been around in one form or another for a hell of a lot longer than people?

I happen to park under a lamp post a lot of the time outside our house. I've more than once spent a good five or six hours on the car only to have it crapped on (always seems to happen when you've just finished). I also work hard to keep our garden in good shape but again I wouldn't kill an animal just for eating seeds - it's just not important enough to make it worthwhile (especially since I very much doubt that regardless of how effective the weapon is it always ends up in a clean kill).

By the way, I know this will not change your views but it's an interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_pigeon

Most people (huge genralisation alert), particularly urban dewellers (second generalisation alert) will happily kill a rat (or pay to have some one do it for them) in or around the house, but then get all touchy feely when it's a cute squirrel or bushy tailed Mr Fox or monochromatic Billy Badger. I'm sorry but surely you either you agree with killing stuff, be it to eat it or because they're a pest, or you don't? This, "well it's ok to stand on a scorpion if its going to sting you, but not eat a horse because it looks like Ruud Van Nistlerooy" is a little hypocritical IMHO. The obvious exception being endangered species, which no one is talking about genociding here.

Most people (huge genralisation alert), particularly urban dewellers (second generalisation alert) will happily kill a rat (or pay to have some one do it for them) in or around the house, but then get all touchy feely when it's a cute squirrel or bushy tailed Mr Fox or monochromatic Billy Badger. I'm sorry but surely you either you agree with killing stuff, be it to eat it or because they're a pest, or you don't? This, "well it's ok to stand on a scorpion if its going to sting you, but not eat a horse because it looks like Ruud Van Nistlerooy" is a little hypocritical IMHO. The obvious exception being endangered species, which no one is talking about genociding here.

Firstly im not directing this at sipar69 as his comments were that he didnt think a bit of bird poo was worth shooting the pigeon over - which is fair enough and my wife is of the same opinion.

I think in general from what i see when im out & about, a lot of the problem these days is that people have grown up just going to the supermarket and buying something already prepared in a packet. Thats certainly what my missus does. It removes you from the process of how that meat actually got there in the first place. Back in the day, rabbits used to be a massive part of the UK diet. People ate millions of them. Now, a lot of people I know wouldnt even try them as they associate rabbits as being cute things they see in the pet shop. and the mere thought of killing poor thumper makes their stomach churn.

Makes you wonder how some people would survive if they got stranded in the wild.

The other big problem ive noticed is that more and more people are moving out from towns and into the country side, so they are not familiar with normal country pursuits and the way of life. So, if they see someone wandering about a field with a shotgun they immediately are on the phone to the police panicing thinking its some nutter rather than someone like myself going about my normal business. I can feel sorry for these types of people as very often it is a surprise to them. Theres a village where I look after some land for a farmer and some nights if im out lamping around midnight, I can hear hundreds of shots coming from the surrounding fields from other people doing the same. Sometimes it feels like you are in Iraq or somewhere. For townies who havent experienced this it must be quite worrying.

• Like 3

I think your point about the source of food is very valid - I try to avoid processed and factory farmed food as much as possible.

I can't bring myself to eat rabbit though - I don't think the five rescue(d) bunnies we have would forgive me :blush:

• Like 1

I can see both sides of the argument regarding pest control etc and wouldn't preach to anyone that they are wrong. What really depresses me is people killing animals for 'fun' or 'sport' or even the glee and excitment some have when killing animals for the previously mentioned 'legitimate' reasons...

They say that serial killers often hurt and kill animals for fun as a prelude to moving up to people 'pest control' :scare:

• Like 1

I can see both sides of the argument regarding pest control etc and wouldn't preach to anyone that they are wrong. What really depresses me is people killing animals for 'fun' or 'sport' or even the glee and excitment some have when killing animals for the previously mentioned 'legitimate' reasons...

They say that serial killers often hurt and kill animals for fun as a prelude to moving up to people 'pest control' :scare:

I love that episode. Poor Pinchy :)

Very true - there is a proven link between animal cruelty and people who move on to hurt and abuse humans (the 'baby P' case is an example). For the avoidance of doubt I don't mean the sorts of activity Rabbitstew refers to, I mean deliberate cruelty for fun.

Good read, reminded me of my confused adolescence ;-)

I think the proven link between psychos and killing animals is more aligned with behaviours such as torturing and mutilating animals as a source of pleasure/entertainment, rather than killing to eat or remove pests. Where killing for sport fits in on that scale I'm not sure.

Stick people on an island for a month with plenty of clean water and abundant animal life, watch them all go Lord of The Flies on Day 2!

Wow, this thread changed a bit - I leave the forum alone for a couple of days and suddenly the tone is all about psycopath murderers

We plant out a whole selection of vegetables, peas, broad beans, cabbages, carrots, potatoes as well as flowers and grass seed to add in patches in the lawn - and the pigeons and collared doves can have devastating effects. Obviously we use netting over stuff but the area around nmy gf is infested with dozens of the darn things, and you can definitely see the difference in the garden if you cull a few, especially at the critical times.

As it happens we also use some sprays and insecticides - the cabbage particularly suffers from caterpillars if we don't, and I know they turn into oh-so-pretty butterflies, but if you dont take some defensive action the caterpillars will eat ALL the cabbage and we end up with nothing.

It's not done for fun, it's done for plain old garden husbandry, and I'm afraid - it'll happen this year again, I'm sure, otherwise the garden yield drops dramatically.

Oh - and I'm sure you know from this - I'm NOT a vegetarian, and I like my steaks and bacon and eggs - and see nothing wrong in eating horse or kangaroo or whatever, either. And just for the record - if I was stranded in an air crash at the North Pole, and there wasn't anything else . . . . . . who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Got home from work, parked up, picked up my bag from the passenger side, turned my back for a second and there's an almighty whack. Look round in fear...

image_zpsce046b69.jpg

Look at the sheer quantity, I'm not even mad, I'm impressed. It had obviously eaten a 6 egg white omelette and a gallon of vanilla ice cream for lunch, then saved it until I got home.

It must be personal now. Back in the car, off to the car wash.