Access to Rear Cig Lighter

cs2000

Hey all, I'm trying to hook up an iPhone charger using the rear cig lighter as a power source.

I still want to be able to use the actual outlet so I want to remove the front and wire in one of those extensions behind the scenes and then plug a iPhone charger into that so I can then route the cable into the central cubby hole.

I have had a dig around but I cant seem to find an easy way to get access to the rear of the cig lighter but I figure there must be a way, just wondered if anyone has done this before at all or if anyone knows how to get the front off.

Cheers all :thumbs:

You need to take the entire rear facia out. In order to do so means taking a fair amount of plastic trim off.

Start with driver and passenger lower door strips

Then take out the plastic quarter panels behind the passenger and driver seat belts.

Take out the two bolts that hold the back of the central section in place.

Now remove the sub cover

Remove any bolts attaching the glove box section to the inner glove box tray compartment

Now you should be able to partially move/lift the rear section facia

Remember the cig lighter will be attached to wires behind so don't yank it out. Disconnect and then hopefully remove the facia allowing you to tap into the wires.

Fit in reverse of course :thumbs:

*disclaimer - this has been done from memory so may not be 100% correct, but near as damn it*

Plastic removal time est 10 mins.

Hmm looks like a lot of plastic but doesn't seem too difficult, cheers ;) il give it a shot when the parts arrive! That is of course unless there's a easier to get too 12v feed. Il have to dig up some wiring diagrams and see if I can tap into the wires further along the car, surely they travel through the central part where the handbrake is...

Or, is the front one any easier to get access too?

SuperStu, yeah I guess I could but I do actually use the Bluetooth in the car for calls so I wouldn't want to upset that really.

Edited by cs2000

Nah the wires travel down the side of the car. You'll see them when you remove the quarter panels behind the seat belts.

I would presume the Bluetooth adapter wring would be sheathed and will need to work out which is live.

The Cig lighter would probably be the best option. The front one you could access I guess more easily.

If you have an aftermarket stereo with a USB cable connect to that, that's what I do.

8F256A13-39B3-4B1F-9FAF-1390030648A1-9748-000002F0E1723B33_zps7415103a.jpg

Much easier to plug an extension lead into the front one and route the lead with a double (or triple) socket to wherever it is convenient to you.

I used velcro to hold the extension socket to the carpet on the tunnel that powered the phone charger and snooper and still use that principle in the 370 - works fine and is 90% out of sight. I did that for easy removal and no damage to the interior.

Must admit I have a powered lead from stereo into the sat mac cubby, but I got one of these for rear lighter in case I want to charge iPad at the same time.

This is what I bought too! but I want to hide everything away. Il have a dig around the front Cig lighter to see if I can get this out and tap into the wires there.Cheers for all the help ;)

Just a quick update, I stuck my head under the front one today and I unclippd the plug and joy of joys there was loads of slack so I dropped it down and wired in my extension there :) blew a fuse the first time as I had the radio on so the lighter was live! Quick fuse job and all is good ;) cheers for the help!