The Snow is Satan!

Diab2005

Tbc I wouldnt take it out if you can avoid it.

I had a bum nipper moment on Saturday, bit of slushy snow, doing 40mph in 4th gear, give a little more gas and the back end went to kick out. Really did make me focus!!

Tbc I wouldnt take it out if you can avoid it.

I had a bum nipper moment on Saturday, bit of slushy snow, doing 40mph in 4th gear, give a little more gas and the back end went to kick out. Really did make me focus!!

Get it out, get it sideways! :stir:

• Like 1

Winter tyres are pretty extreme for the 2-3 days a year you'll actually need them. I know they're not just for snow, but these are the only conditions you are likely to have no traction, making a summer tyre totally useless. Having just driven from Sussex to Leeds (And having to abandon my car at the bottom of my road in Leeds) I could have done with a set, but this is the only day in the last year I've had a problem and we've had a few days of bad weather recently. Best bet is to just leave her where she is unless you absolutely have to! :thumbs:

Yea I considered winter tyres but as previously mentioned I dont consider the small amount of time they would be of use to be worth the swap over. The roads are fine it's just getting it out of the damn drive im struggling with!!!

Winter tyres should be used when the average temp falls below 7c. If you kept to that, so used them for a few months at least then you'd save money for the course of owning two sets.

What you consider the time period that they are useful for, you'd be better off without. For the time period they are actually intended to be used for, they are very much worth it.

You do like to travel.

Obviously you can do it a bit quicker now though:)

Much much quicker :D

Roads in the south of France were fantastic... It was great to be back home :)

Driving back to the UK from Switzerland on Wednesday for my MOT... Yet another trip to Abbey.

I am sure it will fly through.

What clutch have you got in your car and can you send me a link pls:)

I totally get your point about having more grip and being able to stop quicker. You could also not accelerate as hard or brake as late if the conditions demanded using summer tyres. Obviously this doesn't account for an emergency stop situation, but the winter rubber may also not depending on the scenario. I'd be interested to know how many winter miles you'd have to drive that the wear on summer tyres paid for an £800+ set of winters? Also, you'd have to replace the winters every 2-3 years.

From what I've managed to read up on, it appears that no one has ever done an actual scientific test of this (the wear rate) as it can be difficult. However all have agreed that using winter tyres in winter and summer tyres in summer will give more miles than two sets of summers all year round. Just not sure by how much.

BBK, unless people understand that winters are not only used exclusively in the snow, then you're preaching to the wrong crowd.

I run my winters as soon as the temps drop below 7C, which is usually late October/early November.

Ran them this year until about late Feb, so that's about three months. This is my second year on these and the wear rate is brilliant.

Still loads of tread left, it also seems that the tread is deeper than summer tyres anyway.

If anybody still needs convincing, then just look at Germany, where you are required by law to run winters.

Hence why this time of year you see most germans driving with steelies wrapped in winter rubber.

aye, im considering winters next winter... just cos my commute means i have to drive otherwise im stuck. and yep, i'll probably put them on in december, and would be leaving them on until april at this rate... consistently been below 7degrees for some time now!

aye, im considering winters next winter... just cos my commute means i have to drive otherwise im stuck. and yep, i'll probably put them on in december, and would be leaving them on until april at this rate... consistently been below 7degrees for some time now!

I'd get them on earlier. According to the Met office, in 2011 there were 175 days where the average temp dropped below 7c. This has in the south of england.