Displaying of number plates

jkyb

'As vertical as possible' is correct, so in your window is breaking the regs.

As long as people aren't stupid with it ie. put the plate flush with the bottom lip and facing upwards (which I have seen alot of MR2 owners do!) then the police shouldn't give you hassle. If your doing something silly your just giving them the excuse to turn your car over. There's nothing about it being centralised as already mentioned.

When I had my celica I had it in bodyshop and one of the jobs was to smooth out holes in from bumper made by screws for number plate, and I had my number plate attached l(with suction cups) to the front left corner of windscreen(by tax disc) ones police were driving past as I was getting into my car in a public car park. They stopped for a chat and a quick check...asked about number plate if it was blocking my view-n it wasn't blocking it that much, then they got all their books and manuals out from the boot of their car-but after looking thru them for good 10minutes-they couldn't find anything that said it was illegal, wished me a good day and let me go!

Also a friend of mine, about 2 years ago, asked VOSA bloke at one of cruises about having number plate in the window and he said as far as its displayed on the front of the car, it's fully visible and as vertical as possible (as possible...so I guess it don't have to be fully vertical) its fine!

My other mate has American style tilted number plate bracket-he got told off n told to change it, as cameras wouldn't pick it up.

So long story short - as far as its fully visible it will be fine :)

Think you've been given some duff info there Vlad

I've researched this numerous times and spoken to quite a few traffic cops over the years who all come back saying that it has to be on the most front part of the car

Putting it in the window may be making it visible, but is illegal - I think the cops just give a bit of discretion when it comes to that from my experience though

quite possibly I been given duff info... been reseaching myself and couldn't find any def. answers :(

But as kris sad above - if you dont go over the top with it or do anything stupid - dont think coppers will give you any trouble... but at same time all depends on the copper(s)... as some of them are n*bs!

When I had my celica I had it in bodyshop and one of the jobs was to smooth out holes in from bumper made by screws for number plate, and I had my number plate attached l(with suction cups) to the front left corner of windscreen(by tax disc) ones police were driving past as I was getting into my car in a public car park. They stopped for a chat and a quick check...asked about number plate if it was blocking my view-n it wasn't blocking it that much, then they got all their books and manuals out from the boot of their car-but after looking thru them for good 10minutes-they couldn't find anything that said it was illegal, wished me a good day and let me go!

Also a friend of mine, about 2 years ago, asked VOSA bloke at one of cruises about having number plate in the window and he said as far as its displayed on the front of the car, it's fully visible and as vertical as possible (as possible...so I guess it don't have to be fully vertical) its fine!

My other mate has American style tilted number plate bracket-he got told off n told to change it, as cameras wouldn't pick it up.

So long story short - as far as its fully visible it will be fine :)

Think you've been given some duff info there Vlad

I've researched this numerous times and spoken to quite a few traffic cops over the years who all come back saying that it has to be on the most front part of the car

Putting it in the window may be making it visible, but is illegal - I think the cops just give a bit of discretion when it comes to that from my experience though

quite possibly I been given duff info... been reseaching myself and couldn't find any def. answers :(

But as kris sad above - if you dont go over the top with it or do anything stupid - dont think coppers will give you any trouble... but at same time all depends on the copper(s)... as some of them are n*bs!

It's all about attitude really, the new style 'producers' have vehicle rectification notices on them aswell, meaning an officer can issue you a ticket stating you need to get the plate sorted out, then you take it the the garage which stamps the form to say the work has been carried out, you then produce this form at the station. Alot better way of dealing than dishing out fines for what is really a small offence!

But yes, unfortunately some officers (usually traffic) can be a bit anal to say the least.

Is that to me? Lol if so, I didn't lol as was a bit pi**ed off as got producer for nothing...fair enough it was for something more serious that made car dangerous to drive..but side light bulb? 2 min job to replace...but all hussle of going to the garage to get it checked and stamped n then returning producer back...meh! Lol

Is that to me? Lol if so, I didn't lol as was a bit pi**ed off as got producer for nothing...fair enough it was for something more serious that made car dangerous to drive..but side light bulb? 2 min job to replace...but all hussle of going to the garage to get it checked and stamped n then returning producer back...meh! Lol

Better than a fine or points though ;)

Nah, I would've found out when I got home by seeing it in reflection! And attitude test definitely didnt fail as I'm always polite to them... As I think being polite, telling the truth and not taking them for idiots - works most of the times! :)

U.K E-Types never had a front number plate holder, they had to be stuck on the bonnet. U.S E-Types did have a number plate holder under the grille but the number plates used were different, a U.K number plate wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes under there. There may be other cars like this from that era.

1961_jaguar_e-type-pic-6868571363631466285.jpeg

Pete

For what it's worth the Jaguar E type was given special dispensation by the DVLA to have the number plate in this position and is currently the only car in this country legally allowed to have this. Confirmed in writing by DVLA to JDC.

Researched this after worrying about mine and carry a copy. Sad I know. :blush:

For what it's worth the Jaguar E type was given special dispensation by the DVLA to have the number plate in this position and is currently the only car in this country legally allowed to have this. Confirmed in writing by DVLA to JDC.

Researched this after worrying about mine and carry a copy. Sad I know. :blush:

Interesting info :thumbs: . Lotus Europa S2 didn't have a number plate as such, the letters were just stuck onto the grille. This was mine taken over 40 years ago. I only have one other photo of this car taken from the rear. I have a feeling that it had a reflective plate on the rear and if so would be pretty unique I think.

Scan031September222010.jpg

Pete

There is always a lot of chat about front number plate display on Pistonheads, by all accounts the fines are less for not displaying one than for displaying them incorrectly (illegal spacing/sizes/fonts)

Most of my front number plates have resided under my passenger seat. Cars look so much better without them :)