headlights misty and smeary internally!

skidder

Hi all,

I've posted before but not much luck as i'm not technically minded.

I have a black GT4 that has headlights that are misty/smeared inside.I bought it like this.(I got a small discount)There is NO water or condensation entering the light now.I have no idea how this has happened but it's really detracting from the cars looks and is really starting to annoy me.I don't see how the smears etc have got in there unless the units have been de-assembled before.I doubt this to be honest as there is definitely no leak.

I realise that the only way is to remove the headlights and put them in the oven/heat gun and clean and then re-seal or replace altogether.I don't feel comfortable doing this myself.

I don't really see the point in replacing the headlights at around 800 quid plus labour(used) as there is nothing else wrong.

Is anyone willing to do this work for me?I'm in oxford and am willing to travel 60+ miles each way to get this sorted.Maybe even more.

Much appreciated,

Chris

Just go to a shop and they will do a reseal. I had condensation and it is solved now. You don't need to replace the headlights.

What sort of shop?

I've been to nissan, a body shop and a local mechanic.Nobody wants to touch it as of yet.

But thanks anyway I guess.

Just go to a shop and they will do a reseal. I had condensation and it is solved now. You don't need to replace the headlights.

Impossible to do a Re-Seal on Zed headlights...Not sure what you mean about a headlight re-seal.. :thumbdown:

Its not impossible and many have done it.I've searched long and hard and this has been covered before several times here and on the US forum but they've always been home diy jobs.Usually involves an oven and a re-seal.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by skidder

Believe me, it's far from impossible. An official Nissan shop (dealer) has done it for me and now I have no condensation. I went to them with the problem and they offered to do the re-seal. It took 3-4 hours. I don't know exactly what they done as I left the car there and returned when ready but I suppose they injected some special material arround the joint between the glass and body.

Edited by catamahu

You can't just use normal polish, you need to try one of the more abrasive polishes mentioned above. Autoglym paint renovator is one I use but bodyshops also reccommend high grade sandpaper (1200+?) which to be honest I haven't had the guts to try out yet. Regular polish won't get near it.

Unless you can see droplets, believe me, even though it looks like it's on the inside, it's not! Remember that condensation is distilled water (ie pure) so won't contain any residue which could in theory be left behond to produce a 'smear'.