Question regarding seller taking private plate off... new reg?

Louisa911

Hi

The 350z I've paid a deposit on is currently on a private plate which is not included in the sale. Due to collect it during next week at some point.

When first registered it was GJ54 FD*.

According to my HPI check, this was changed to a private plate in 2006, then 2008 it was removed and apparently went back to GJ54 FD*.

It then went onto another private reg, which is currently on there now.

When this one gets removed, should it go back to GJ54 FD*?

The other half seems to think it just gets allocated one thats avaliable, and that the original private plate owner must have put GJ54 FD* onto retention- which probably isn't the case now.

Just called up the dealer who has sold the car, and asked him for the new reg to sort out insurance.... he said GJ54 FD*.... but makes me wonder if he's just looked at his own HPI report and given me that registration.

When I put that 54 reg. into my car check, it says there's nothing on the records. But the current private plate still is.

What do you think? Don't want to call up insurance quoting that plate when it doesn't technically exist.

Cheers

Also- considering I put the deposit down last Saturday, and am collecting in about six days time, what happens if the private plate is still registered to that car? Should it not be sorted now?

How would I go about insuring it?

Sorry for all the questions but I've never been involved with private reg before :D

Thanks

Could I insure it under the current private plate until it is transferred and then call up the insurance and let them know its changed?

Will kinda need to use the car to get to work asap.

If its not completed by the time of sale, who should keep which documents?

If I call up on Monday and tell the trader that I'll be coming to get it on Saturday, is there any reason it shouldn't have been completed by then?

Its due for tax at the end of March so needs to be sorted before this!

I believe a car always goes back to its original plate unless it was A) registered from new with the private plate or B.) the original plate has been transferred onto a different car.

You'll need to insure it on the plate currently assigned to the car, once you get conformation from the DVLA the switch has been completed you can change the insurance over.

Reason for edit: to get rid of a random smiley!

Edited by Dedman
  • Like 1

Could I insure it under the current private plate until it is transferred and then call up the insurance and let them know its changed?

Yes just remember to tell them when it changes to the new number.

That will be OK because of above.

DVLA more than likley.

If I call up on Monday and tell the trader that I'll be coming to get it on Saturday, is there any reason it shouldn't have been completed by then?

All up to the DVLA.

Would hope so,but all up to the................... DVLA

When it is assigned it's new number.(shinny new V5)

You need to tell your insurance. And get from the DVLA , an updated MOT and an updated Tax Disc.

DVLA say that 99% of the time it will go back to original plate, they never like to guarantee it basically. But it'd be very unlikely to not get its old plate back. I've done this so many times on different cars now with my personal plate and I've always had the old plate back. Insure it under the plate that is on it first, then when you get the new V5 through with the old plate back on it, then change plates on the car and ring insurance company to change it.

Yes just remember to tell them when it changes to the new number.

That will be OK because of above.

DVLA more than likley.

All up to the DVLA.

Would hope so,but all up to the................... DVLA

When it is assigned it's new number.(shinny new V5)

You need to tell your insurance. And get from the DVLA , an updated MOT and an updated Tax Disc.

I'd print this check list off!

I've emailed the seller to ask how far on the process is (if its even been started....)

So you guys reckon that if it came to collect the car next week and its still on the private reg, I'd be fine to trust them with the documents being sorted, and insure it with the private reg? Notifying them of a future change too.

If so, should I be taking the car without signing the v5?

Will update when I hear back from them.

Yep ! should go back on its orignal reg..If you take it to a DVLA office you should get it all done in 5 days,

anyway its the dealers responsibility to do the transfer otherwise you can keep the private plate and

sell it back to him. Insure it on the reg that's on it now, and tell the insurance company that you are waiting

for the DVLA to assigne it its origanl plate and you will inform them when this happens, should be no charge.

Good luck with your new car... :thumbs:

I bought mine with a plate on it. Agreed with Dave that when the log book is back in my name ill do the plate change & give him his private reg back.

From my experience of plate changes( through an old job) is that it will get it 'original' plate back should I be available, which most of the time is a yes

This is the seller's problem, basically. If they don't put it in writing that the reg belongs to them when they sell the car to you they lose all rights to it, so from your POV all you need to do is insure it under the reg that it will have on it when you pick it up, and make sure the buyer picks up the cost of the insurance admin change as it's their lazy fault for not taking the plate off before selling the car.

It's a faff, but just make sure you look after yourself. :)