370z - is it right for me?!

cfoster

Hi all, havent posted for a while after parting with my Z last year (well had 2 Z's!). Anyway i've recently sold my mercedes sl500 and currently trying to sell my DC5 and go back to the one car, originally was going to settle for a boring 535 diesel sport BMW but a friend (who got me into Z's originally) pointed me to a 370Z! Read all the reviews, they look awesome and the writeups are very positive. However budget wise I am looking at the earlier circa 16k ones. Would I be making a mistake opting for one, baring in mind it will probably only be for the summer, come the winter time I will no doubt want to sell for something practical (never kept cars too long). Will depreciation hit me in this 8 month period do you think or is it a case of 'buy for the right price/sell for the right price? Also being a complete newbee to the 370s are there any options I should/shouldn't go for baring in mind my budget. For my driving style i'd prefer an auto (getting lazy!) but a manual would be fine if one came up? I rarely drive anymore, perhaps one or 2 100 mile round trips a week tothe missus place (all dual carriageway) and will be taking it to Le Mans in June. The other option I have considered is an Audi TT (sorry!!).

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Simplest advice take a test drive and see, no one can make the decision for you. If you have owned the later 350z you may not notice that much difference in performance. The cabin is a much nicer place to be though.

Theres the basic spec and then the gt, later models have the better connect preium sat nav system. The current model also comes in a gt edition spec with better suspension.

It is a bit of a tough one because it is more down to personal decision in what you like in a car. If you have a budget, you mite want to consider the 350Z as they've depreciated quite a bit more and is probably just as fun to drive if you're looking for a weekend blast around.

Unfortunately with depreciation, it's too unpredictable and can't be helped. But bare in mind that there are fewer 370Z's compared to 350Z's so in that sense it may hold it's value a bit better compared to the 350z's.

Like will said. It's worth test driving one.

Simplest advice take a test drive and see, no one can make the decision for you. If you have owned the later 350z you may not notice that much difference in performance. The cabin is a much nicer place to be though.

Theres the basic spec and then the gt, later models have the better connect preium sat nav system. The current model also comes in a gt edition spec with better suspension.

Agree with this totally. I had a 313 zed, and to be honest preferred it to the 370z. On the road, my 350z "felt" quicker, more enjoyable to drive and I preferred its looks. However, the 370z`s cabin was definitely much much nicer and as Will says, the premium connect sat nav was much better than the 350z sat nav system. It had bluetooth connectivity for phone & music streaming, speed camera alerts etc..

Depreciation will hit you hugely. I paid around £16k for my 350z a couple of years back, which is the same price as some 370z`s are now, and I lost about £5k a year on it, which is a huge percentage of its purchase price for such a small period of time. Id expect 370`s to drop the same.

Personally id workout the cost per mile of various options and see what you prefer. Older 350z are cheap now, and most of the major depreciation has been done on them now, so id expect you wont loose too much on them. Lotus Elises, VX220`s all seem to keep their value well, even the TT`s you mention are cheap now. Quite a lot to choose from really!

Edited by rabbitstew

I bought mine as an every day car.

I test drove a 350Z a few years ago, and didn't really like it. Felt the car was too rough around the edges to use everyday, and the interior is just horrid (major part of the reason I didn't buy the car a few years ago)

The 370Z is a lot more refined, although still not perfect, but the interior is decent.

Test drive though and form your own opinions.

I test drove a 350Z a few years ago, and didn't really like it. Felt the car was too rough around the edges to use everyday, and the interior is just horrid (major part of the reason I didn't buy the car a few years ago)

22627458.jpg

I bought mine as an every day car.

The 370Z is a lot more refined, although still not perfect, but the interior is decent.

Test drive though and form your own opinions.

That's well put. Had the 50 for 2.5 years and the 70 just over a year. The 70 is a nicer place to be and I enjoy pushing driving it more. (but we are all different)

Thanks for the input guys, i'm trying to track one down locally so I can have a go. I dont really want to go back to a 350 tbh, as much as I loved both of mine i'd like to go for something newer, the interior was a little, well, shite!! (sorry!). An Audi TT is tempting due to the cost of them now, as is a Porsche Cayman, but think the 370 has a lot more appeal, a lot rarer as well in that you don't really see many on the road. Depreciation is my only concern with something so new, even over the 8 month period i'll own it.

Defo give one a whirl and see how you like it.

I'm not convinced about the 370Z falling a great deal further; they surely can't?!?! Yes, the 350Z has already dropped as they are older & more plentiful, but the used car market is shite at the minute so surely you could get yourself a steal if bullish enough and protect yourself to a degree against further depreciation?? Put it this way, for the budget you're talking about, there are some very good examples available and a buyers market so make a daft offer and you might just land one for a good price. I reckon my car has bottomed out value-wise for a while, I struggle to see it loosing a massive amount over the next 6-8 months, if lose anything at all. Obviously if I wait too long then winter will kick the values again. The new 'GT' Zed is so similar I think its introduction has bearly caused a ripple and certainly not troubled resale values of older cars too much. The new NISMO seems too expensive for what appears to be a few bolt-ons and harder still suspension which may dent sales in the UK. Doubt that'll trouble resale values much either.

edit - agree with Jay - he posted as I was typing mine!

Edited by rogerxp

Hopefully you are write in what you are saying, i imagine the real kick in the value has happened already, perhaps if i was to keep a couple of years I would notice but for the short period I will keep it for if I can get a bargain hopefully I wont be too much out of pocket!!

Jay - seeing your matt orange z in your siggy i'm tempted to wrap it that colour!! (i wrap cars as a sideline!)

Edited by cfoster

If having a car that is a bit different and turns heads is a factor in your decision you can't go far wrong with the 370. They also look better in the flesh than in photos so I'd definitely suggest having a look at one in person. And as others have said, the cabin is a nice place to be.

Your right pics don't really do it justice!

Looked on autotrader there is one on there for under 15k, 54000 mile black GT. From Keighley Sports, am sure i've heard bad things about that company though? Worth a peek?

Also are there any 370 owners in the Essex area (Wickford or Clacton) who wouldn't mind me coming over for a peek?!

Thanks