Security cameras

Harryjax

After damage to my car (keying of bonnet) that I posted about. I've decided to install security cameras to the house so the driveway and cars are under surveillance.

Has anyone got information of what sort of cameras and recording device I should be looking for?

I installed one and caught the neighbours scroaty kids nicking my valve caps . . . . again :angry:

Have a look in Maplins, they sell all the gear. http://www.maplin.co.uk/cctv-and-security

Also dont try and be clever and get the WiFi ones like I did, they are a bit crap sometimes, the weather and other WiFi networks caused interference.

Go to Maplins and they stock all that stuff at very good prices.

disagree personally maplins stuff is expensive. but it is local.

For DIY, its not badly priced, plus they sometimes have offers on it. I would get a DVR as if you get the PC card . . . you will need a PC on ALL the time

PC based or standalone?

Stand alone I think not sure what's best?

PC is better as you have more control plus if you have a spare pc its cheaper but standalone is eaiser as then its on all the time without having to worry. My personal experience in standalone was it was inferior to a pc based system but was technically easier to set up.

With cameras you want the biggest sensor size you can and IR or night mode. You will be most likely using BNC camera and cables but you get the normal video/phono type aswell.

I have a CCTV Company that supplies and installs CCTV.

I would recomend you have a look at AData web site and look for

their special bundle deals, the other one I would recomend is CCTV Direct.

far superior to Maplins plug and play crap. Get a minimum of 600TVL Cameras

with Infra Red Night Vision up to at least 30mtrs, get a stand alone DVR with

Motion Detection and at least 500gb ot 1 terra bit Hard Dive,.

You can also set it to be viewed remotly on your Iphone or any other smart phone..

Good Luck :thumbs:

I've just bought a QNAP NAS (http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=822&c=351&sc=514&t=523&n=3372) and it has the ability to run surveillance software with attached IP cameras (not looked into the details yet). I bought it primarily for backup and file storage but you also get the added bonus of using the NAS for other uses such as media server, print server, web server etc.

After damage to my car (keying of bonnet) that I posted about. I've decided to install security cameras to the house so the driveway and cars are under surveillance.

Has anyone got information of what sort of cameras and recording device I should be looking for?

Not sure where in the country you are but 1 have a 4 way 80Gb DVR (recon) £50, would'nt bother with Maplins stuff but whatever camera's you want get them from a Security System supplier...ADI Global, Enterprise Security etc, you would get good varifocal, antivandal Dome cameras with 25M IR for around £50 plus vat each...I could guide you through your own installation.

I have a CCTV Company that supplies and installs CCTV.

I would recomend you have a look at AData web site and look for

their special bundle deals, the other one I would recomend is CCTV Direct.

far superior to Maplins plug and play crap. Get a minimum of 600TVL Cameras

with Infra Red Night Vision up to at least 30mtrs, get a stand alone DVR with

Motion Detection and at least 500gb ot 1 terra bit Hard Dive,.

You can also set it to be viewed remotly on your Iphone or any other smart phone..

Good Luck :thumbs:

PM sent + emailed you.

Thanks. ðŸ‘

I installed CCTV in 2011 due to recent invasion of Pikeys on nearby fields and a sudden increase on smashed wingmirrors and cars etc

i looked at some of the stuff maplins had and at the time there was nothing i liked and due to the length of time abroad i wanted to be able to log on and view the drive way road and property whilst in a foreign country

maplins now sell the system i got which is priced at 299.99

this unit

it works great i actually installed it on my own using my estate car as the footer for the ladder and adjusted the camera angles using the MObile phone app was very easy to do (saying that i install AV system in buildings so....)

cant recommend this system enough

• Like 1