Driving to Monaco - Cheap reliable convertible needed! Suggestions

georgerobertfreeman

Planning a trip down to the Monaco Grand Prix this year and need a suitable car for the job.

Dont want to put the miles on the 350z even though it would be the perfect car to travel down in.

After something fun and reliable but on a budget of 2.5 -3k. Will possibly be getting motorail one way so after something that can be thrown about and not have to worry about.

Must be a convertible.

So far have narrowed it down to:

Mazda MX5

MG TF

Any others I should consider?

Thanks for the suggestions certainly some interesting cars in that selection.

We have previously had a TF135 before I still think the 160 isnt a bad shout bearing in mind all belt/exhausts and head gaskets are done.

Seem to be able to pick up them up for next to nothing with fairly low miles(under 50k) but I suppose they are cheap for a reason.

Currently have an MX5 and would highly recommend it. Previously owned at MR2 Roadster - there is NO room for any sort of baggage so whilst its a great drive, you cant fit a toothbrush in it. MGs are notorious for breaking down so should be avoided :)

Previously owned at MR2 Roadster - there is NO room for any sort of baggage so whilst its a great drive, you cant fit a toothbrush in it.

Loads of room, you just need to be creative! Plenty of room for squishy bags behind the seats, and relocate the alarm sounder (10min job) and you can use the frunk too once you turn the spare upside down. We used to take ours away for camping weekends, great fun :)

Would def go for the MX5 though if you have a lot of stuff to take. Just be aware, the boot isn't that big...

Personally I would forget the miles on the car and take it! The main reason I bought my Zed was to enjoy open top motoring in Europe. You will be in easy reach of some cracking roads, which will be near you up in the hills of Monaco. I plan on putting at least 3000 miles on my 370z this year in Europe. My old ginger 55k miler 350z did three tours of the alps and never once missed a beat. Put the wedge towards fuel and a few hotels.

If you take a shed of a car I can guarantee you will be driving along thinking god wouldn't this road would be awesome in my 350z. The Zed is the perfect pan Europe hack. It will be some of the best 2000 miles you put on the Zed. :teeth:

Edited by robin c

If going to the GP you aren't going to get anywhere near Monaco in a car! We stayed in Nice and got a 1 Euro bus... a scooter would have been even better as we could have parked it practically next to the track!

A car would have been nice for cruising around the rest of the places though... lovely part of the world and the GP experience is unforgettable!

Must admit that's a very good point. The Zed is the bext car for long Euro schleps out of all the ones that we've mentioned, and it's not like it's particularly valuable and so needs the miles kept down.

100% agreement once again!

Christ, second time in a row!! I can't believe this!

• Like 1

I did this last year, wernt to bad for fuel when u get 400 miles to a tank

it didn't like the underground car parks in France thou but was glad I took it.. Worth taking it just for the tunnel ;) .. The only tunnel in Monaco where there are no speed cameras