Running in procedure

Berty

I'm currently running in (according to the manual) my new 370Z, I've done about 200 miles so far out of the prescribed 1200.

I'm thinking I should drop the oil & change the filter before the book service interval (9000 miles) although the book doesn't say anything about this.

What do you reckon?

Cheers

Berty

I personaly would not touch it.

Just suppose something went wrong and you took it back to claim on the warranty.

You just voided it?

Just follow the terms and conditions to the letter as these warranty people are masters at avoiding paying out if they can.

If say your engine went pop (though i doubt it) the 1st thing they are going to try to do is say you did something wrong so were

not paying out.

After the warrenty runs out you are free to do what ever you want.

This is of course only my opinion and others may choose to correct me:)

That's what I'm thinking, during the running in process normally you see a certain amount of metallic particles in the first oil change. A lot of new cars do not require "running in" but as Nissan are recommending it, I would presume it's for a reason.

I think I will feel happier with new oil before I hit the 9K or 1 year mark.

That's what I'm thinking, during the running in process normally you see a certain amount of metallic particles in the first oil change. A lot of new cars do not require "running in" but as Nissan are recommending it, I would presume it's for a reason.

I think I will feel happier with new oil before I hit the 9K or 1 year mark.

I agree with you but I also agree with Peter re the warranty. When do Nissan recommend to change it after 1200miles for a new engine?

Not necessary IMO - 9k miles on modern oils is no issue these days

Even on a brand new engine?

Look at this way, motor manufacturers have nothing to gain not stipulating earlier services, in fact they and the dealers lose out. If they knew there was a risk of engine damage you can bet your life they would saying more frequent services were necessary.

No harm done if you want to change more frequently and OK - if extreme driving conditions prevailed then a good idea, but given the OP is running-in his car by the book in good old Blighty then I think it would be money wasted quite honestly.

A lot of new cars do not require "running in" but as Nissan are recommending it, I would presume it's for a reason.

In my experience and talking to a few master techs at HPCs, its more to let the brakes and tyres bed in than anything else. The engines are broken in enough from the off to give them a good bit of stick once you warm it up no matter what the miles. Its letting the release agent off the tyres and bedding in the brakes thats more important. Also lets the driver of the car get used to the power if they've not driven something like it before ;)

Cant see any harm in dropping the oil out once its broken in. Wont do much, but equally its what makes you happy that matters :thumbs:

Colin is of course quite right on this.

However if it was 20 odd years ago before all the modern technology then there used to be a running in process,

When we rebuilt the engine of my 1965 Daimler MK11 ten years ago, I had to keep the revs down to 3000 max and speed 50 or below,

Then drop the oil, flush through and refill.

You would gain absolutely nothing by having an oil change except thinning out your wallet by about £70.

the Nissan dealership where you got it from would tell you the same thing.

Just relax and enjoy the car:)

Not necessary IMO - 9k miles on modern oils is no issue these days

Even on a brand new engine?

Both my missus`s car and mine both dont have their first service until 20,000 miles! Seems a long long time before the dealer checks that the car is running properly. I guess with modern engineering, engines are more reliable than in the old days.

Our Alfa didnt have its first service til 22k miles. The ECU limited the amount of torque available for the first 1200 miles and the lets you have more building up to something like 1500 miles to protect the engine and running gear.

The only time I would not follow manufacturers running in is if I've had an engine rebuild and then it would depend on who's done it and I'd stick to what they tell me!

if I've had an engine rebuild and then it would depend on who's done it and I'd stick to what they tell me!

When I blew the engine up on my Ducati 748SPS the guy who rebuilt it said i had to keep to less than a certain amount of revs for the first 600 miles. That equated to a top speed of 50mph. Most embarrassing riding home on the A1M doing 50mph in a 70mph with lorries, vans, mopeds all whizzing past you. Think I made it to about 400 miles before I got fedup and started wringing its neck again.