Noob advice on suggested work before I hand get my first Zed.

Stutopia

I hope this is the best place for this post, but apologies if not.

I just had an inspection report (I'm still learning) back on an a Zed I'm desperate to buy. Largely all good news, but there are a couple of items I was hoping to float here and someone might be able to warn me if I am staring down the barrel of a huge bill in a couple of months. I hope not as I am super-psyched about buying my first Zed. Please bear in mind she is a 2004 model, with 33k on the clock, with 5 stamps. I am most unsure about the "sub-frame/mountings comment"

· Wheel bearing noise evident on road test. Requires further investigation and replacement as necessary.

· Pipes/connections - Corrosion to nearside front brake pipe.

· Rear LH tread - Tyre unevenly worn low on inside edge. Whilst the tyre is still within legal limits, Replacement is recommended. A full steering and geometry check is highly recommended.

· Clutch operation - Clicking noise evident from clutch mechanism when pedal is depressed. Requires further investigation and repair.

· Minor indentation (ding) to nearside front wing. A localised (smart) panel repair should be possible.

· Minor paint blemish to nearside door mirror cover, plus glue spots to roof. Localised (smart) paint repairs should be possible.

· Exterior trim/grille - Nearside door mirror rubber split. Replace as required. Paint peeling/corroded on gear-lever knob. Replace as required.

· Wipers/washers - Squeak evident from rear windscreen wiper mechanism. Repair as necessary.

· Sub-frame/mountings - Corrosion to rear under-body stabiliser frame. Limited life remaining.

· Heat shields/mountings - Corrosion to front exhaust heat shields. Limited life remaining.

· Wheel Rims - Alloy wheel rims scuffed and corroded. Refurbish as required.

Any comments appreciated.

Most of that seems fairly standard...apart from the sub frame mounting... I'd be walking away myself though! Unless it's stupidly cheap I'd be looking for another as there are plenty of decent Zeds about.

Edited by Paddy78

Wheel bearing noise evident on road test. Requires further investigation and replacement as necessary.

On a car with 33K on the clock? Maybe it's been stood to long?

· Pipes/connections - Corrosion to nearside front brake pipe.

Normal at that age.

· Rear LH tread - Tyre unevenly worn low on inside edge. Whilst the tyre is still within legal limits, Replacement is recommended. A full steering and geometry check is highly recommended.

Hmmm why has it worn unevenly? Maybe alignment will sort it as suggested.

· Clutch operation - Clicking noise evident from clutch mechanism when pedal is depressed. Requires further investigation and repair.

I would guess the shaft needs greasing - lack of use can do more damage than driving a car.

· Minor indentation (ding) to nearside front wing. A localised (smart) panel repair should be possible.

Normal at that age.

· Minor paint blemish to nearside door mirror cover, plus glue spots to roof. Localised (smart) paint repairs should be possible.

Who glued what to the roof?

· Exterior trim/grille - Nearside door mirror rubber split. Replace as required. Paint peeling/corroded on gear-lever knob. Replace as required.

Normal at that age for the gearstick - Rubber will need replacing.

· Wipers/washers - Squeak evident from rear windscreen wiper mechanism. Repair as necessary.

Again going with lack of use hopefully lubrication is all that is needed.

· Sub-frame/mountings - Corrosion to rear under-body stabiliser frame. Limited life remaining.

Which one? They do get a lot of surface rust but nothing to worry about unless really bad.

· Heat shields/mountings - Corrosion to front exhaust heat shields. Limited life remaining.

Normal at that age.

· Wheel Rims - Alloy wheel rims scuffed and corroded. Refurbish as required.

Normal at that age. (except the scuffing that's probably bad parking)

So it all comes down to price and who you are buying from as above if it's cheap then no worries if it's a garage you can ask them to sort some/all issues - lots of Zeds to choose from so don't jump in unless its the right deal.

Good luck :thumbs:

Thanks for the quick responses all, particularly the blow-by-blow Keyser) some things for me to to think about. Having read the written report (the extracts of which are above) I was concerned about a couple of things that appeared to be more than simply age combined with lack of use. However, the conversation I had on the phone with the guy was so much more positive. He consistently pointed out that the car was in good shape for her age, that he'd seen quite a few, and that although the stabiliser frame was corroded it was still solid and again would be expected at the age. I guess it's a question of what he was willing to say to me on the phone, and what exactly he was willing to sign his name to. Your comments have been helpful. I'll have a think.

The roof glue spots were tiny, it makes them sound like puddles on here.

I'm so excited its unreal. Getting some of the more expensive questionable bits looked at this weekend and hopefully take her home next week, all done. Thanks all for comments and suggestions, the feedback, knowledge and excellent community here on the forum has meant I have a lot more confidence in my decision to buy a Zed.

Broke my cherry and ordered my first bit of customisation from redline, but I'm not turning this into one of those nob comparison threads just cause I've sent for a titanium one!

I'll post some pics of my very stock Zed once I've given her a once over with a microfibre and some leather treatment. Then I have some plans...