Front Bumper - Grille slats

Tinyflier

I have a facelift MY06 with the dip in the front spoiler and two grille slats.

Are those slats removable and if so how?

If they are removable what lies behind them?

Am thinking of black Zunsport mesh grill or removing the slats and going for a less fussy look.

David

Edited by Tinyflier

The painted covers on the two slats unclip and can be removed. The lower part with the dip in it is part of the bumper. The framework behind would need cutting out, as mentioned, if you needed to. But from what others have said, it's not necessary to fit a Zunsport mesh.

The painted covers on the two slats unclip and can be removed. The lower part with the dip in it is part of the bumper. The framework behind would need cutting out, as mentioned, if you needed to. But from what others have said, it's not necessary to fit a Zunsport mesh.

Yes it is the painted covers I was referring to - apologies to all by my misleading use of the word slats!

I have ordered a Zunsport grille from Steve at RS.

Thanks peeps.

David

So next daft question... Watshot advised me the painted covers "unclip"... is there an actual clip to remove or do they "self clip" with inner fixings and just need a good tug to remove?

:blush:

Edited by Tinyflier

I can't remember exactly, I think I had the bumper off at the time so it was easy to see. But as I recall they are self contained clips, ease them one way or the other to release the cover, push home to clip back on.

If you give them a good tug they will likely break something, best bet is to feed a mirror behind to check out what's going on. I'm pretty sure just feeling with your fingers you should be able to suss it out. :thumbs:

I can't remember exactly, I think I had the bumper off at the time so it was easy to see. But as I recall they are self contained clips, ease them one way or the other to release the cover, push home to clip back on.

If you give them a good tug they will likely break something, best bet is to feed a mirror behind to check out what's going on. I'm pretty sure just feeling with your fingers you should be able to suss it out. :thumbs:

Cheers - will get down and have a feel (ooo-errr) and can use one of my newly purchased trim removal tools if necessary (that made getting the rear strut cover off much easier too!).

David

Edited by Tinyflier

It appears that these painted covers are secured by screws from behind. Three screws on the lower cover and two on the upper. BUT there isn't space to undo these from the front so.... bumper has to come off.

Now I have two reasons to attempt to take my bumper off (for the first time!) - one to fit the clear side reflectors and now second to remove these covers and fit the Zunsport grill which should arrive this week...

:blush:

David