The Turbo kit has arrived - pics inside!

Gaz Walker

Well here is phase 1 of my planned mods for the Z. As I would like to get best use of the Z during the summer months I am going to install the Power Enterprise kit on the stock engine and run it on low boost. When the winter months come I will take the car off the road and rebuild the engine with PE's 3.8ltr stroker kit. The Turbo kit should give me around 370RWHP on the stock engine running it on a low boost setting which will be enough to start with. :D

The great thing about this kit is that it is bolt on and literally everything you need is included in the kit. I have never seen a turbo kit like it. It even comes with instructions which is a first for me! When ordering the kit to run on the stock engine I have specified the entry level 380cc PE injectors and the level 1 spring actuator. The boost will be controlled by the actuators rather than a boost cotroller so technically you should not be able to overboost the car by mistake and destroy the soft stock engine. The turbo's are dual ball bearing variants and should suffer very little lag so will be ideal on the street.

Here's the pic's

manifolds.jpg

pipes.jpg

pipes1.jpg

pipe2.jpg

pipes3.jpg

pipe4.jpg

turbo.jpg

turbo2.jpg

DSCF2014.jpg

sump.jpg

sump2.jpg

sump3.jpg

intercooler.jpg

manifolds.jpg

fittings.jpg

fittings2.jpg

fittings3.jpg

fuelling.jpg

filtersbelts.jpg

couplings.jpg

couplings2.jpg

manual.jpg

manual2.jpg

manual3.jpg

manual4.jpg

manual5.jpg

Thanks

Kevin

Just called them up, really friendly people and very helpful..:thumbs:

Anyway..will cost between 5 to 6k and the a further 1200k for fitting. About 320 bhp at the wheel and 375 overall. Not bad but I know if I bought this I would have to uprate brakes e.t.c..... probably looking at 10k in total. For that I would be tempted in selling and buying an R34 Skyline....

hmm theres an idea.. Im selling my Z this summer anyway. :wacko:

What a coincidence that those parts ended up right in front of your advertising board ... :p

Its to stop people nicking our photos, honest :p

Zedrush > I meant to say it was 370 at the wheel wheels not at the crank (figures quoted by PE - we'll soon see when we Dyno it)

Gaz.

What a coincidence that those parts ended up right in front of your advertising board ... :p

Its to stop people nicking our photos, honest :p

Zedrush > I meant to say it was 370 at the wheel wheels not at the crank (figures quoted by PE - we'll soon see when we Dyno it)

Gaz.

370bhp AT THE WHEEL !!!!!! :scare::scare::scare::scare::scare::scare:

GEEEEEEEEEEZUS Thats impressive :thumbs:

Guest prescience

370 RWHP is in VERY dodgy territory IMO on stock internals. That equates to about 430 at the crank. 400 at the crank has been shown to be a safe limit for the UK Zs.

Rather you than me, but good luck and if you have issues, you can move to Stage 2 earlier :teeth:

I predict it'll hold up well with 375bhp :teeth:

Really? I didnt think that the turbo kits held up well on stock internals.

If thats the case I may have to rethink my plans :teeth:

that's a misconception that comes from the fact that a few APS TT kits (installed by the same people, may I add, which imo has a major influence on the failures...) went pop.

Below 400bhp there's Uk cars (APS TT kits fitted by WRC for example) which are alive and well and MANY US cars that have no issues whatsoever with std internals. So i predict this one (albeit a different kit, but reliable afaik) at 375bhp will be fine.

Guest prescience
this will be interesting - would love to go down this route but need to let someone else make the mistakes first, my pockets arent deep enough for any more mistakes :blush:

There is no safe route mate not when you are pushing the stated crank hp in this way. You have 6 single points of failure (each ConRod) each of which can fail at any point and which will trash your motor

At this Hp it is Russian roulette IMO (an apt analogy) - engines have survived which means none of the individual POFs have tripped :)

Not bad but I know if I bought this I would have to uprate brakes e.t.c.....

Could someone explain me why one should upgrade brakes when installing a turbo? I fail to see the logic here ...

If i accelerate harder it will not necessarily mean I will drive at higher speeds on the road (or speeds higher than those the Z is capable of anyway), or that i ll be braking more or harder, and stopping a car with or without turbo doesn't make any difference :wacko:

Guest prescience
Not bad but I know if I bought this I would have to uprate brakes e.t.c.....

Could someone explain me why one should upgrade brakes when installing a turbo? I fail to see the logic here ...

If i accelerate harder it will not necessarily mean I will drive at higher speeds on the road (or speeds higher than those the Z is capable of anyway), or that i ll be braking more or harder, and stopping a car with or without turbo doesn't make any difference :wacko:

The only reason for road use is that a TT kit does add weight to the car and hence it will take more stopping - track use may be another story

Mostly, I agree with you, it's a mindset thing IMO. Having had a S/C with about 50% more power, if you then travel the same roads which you usually travel in a spirited fashion, you tend to arrive at corners much quicker and with higher speed. The tendency is to think therefore that you need better brakes to stop you more quickly, whereas what needs to change is your driving style - the brakes (despite the very modest extra weight) are still just as effective as they were before.

Whether you think the stock brakes are adequate is another story, but uprating just because of going FI is not logical

If my calcs are correct 370 BHP ATW = c450 BHP At the crank on a chassis dyno but if you are using a hub dyno the 370 at the hubs would be c420 at the crank. The predicted failures are torque related so if the car only runs 5psi or so and delivers c400lb-ft with the correct fuelling & ignition it will be ok.

Cheers

Allan