Car steaming up and having to run de-mist all the time.

WhackyWill

On my S500 Merc running the A/C dropped it down to 12.MPH around town, from 15 without A/c.

Running my X5 around town with A/C get about 11 mph and without maybe around 13 MPH.

Should that be MPG or am I loosing the plot again?

Edited by 4RE Leather

Might be worth checking your carpets/mats in the footwells.

With all the recent show we've had, some of it will no doubt get transferred from your shoes to the mats, which will make them damp.

Having a damp rug often results in steamy windows..... (Ooer).

On my S500 Merc running the A/C dropped it down to 12.MPH around town, from 15 without A/c.

Running my X5 around town with A/C get about 11 mph and without maybe around 13 MPH.

What type of s500 did you have w220 or w221.

Mpg is effected but the Z seems to steam up quickly. I used silca gel pacs these huge ones. Throw them on the radiator once a week to dry them out and they seem to help.

Thanks Gudsy. Just ordered one. Not sure if I want to run the A/C all the time

fuel economy will suffer, its bad enough in town.

Thanks "theheff" I have changed it to fresh air, still steamed up.

:cold: :cold:

There's also the function if you hold the button down, it will automatically switch between recirc and fresh, same again to reset. Never use it myself, but there if you want to.

Running AC makes surprisingly little difference to the MPG. Try it for a tank or two, I very much doubt you'll notice any difference at all (apart from being able to see out of the glass!). :)

May depend on the car. On my VW Golf i noticed it made no difference, but on my 123d i can easily see 10% more fuel usage with the climate turned on. All same journey, driving style, brand of fuel etc, weather etc... so ive kept all factors constant where possible.

I saw a test once that showed having A/C on in the summer used less fuel than driving with your window down.

I'd rather spend a few more pence on fuel than the repair bill when your A/C stops working.

Not just during summer...

But you're right in as much that above a certain speed (differs from car to car, but on average around 40mph) due to the increased drag it's more efficient to run the A/C. At lower speeds it's more efficient to open the windows instead.

Of course, on the occasional summer's day that it's obscenely hot, having the windows open doesn't do much to reduce the temperature anyway. :lol:

Was getting steamed up windows really badly - found one of my door seals was knackered and letting water in.

Replaced but still causing probs - used silicone packs and a pingu to dry some up, gave the windows a bloody good dry with kitchen towel, cleans with meg pro windows cleaner, and dried again with towels. Then applied gumfe treatment on all rubbers and a total transformation!

Well gave mine it's first proper clean for a month after all the salt & ice has disappeared.

Had 3 weeks of this problem, turns out the drivers mat, despite getting rid of as much snow as poss on the feet, was absolutely sodden. Bought it into the house for 2 days to dry out, problem now solved.

Someone earlier mentioned rubber mats for winter use, sounds like a plan.

Hi ilogikal1....Im not sure what your on about..?? Please explain..!!!!

When you open your window you make a lot of drag. To compensate for the drag the engine works harder and uses more fuel. Higher speed higher drag so below a certain speed opening the windows while having an effect on drag is still more efficient that turning on ac. Over a certain speed the drag is higher do turning on the ac is more efficient.