Jap import or uk spec. Whats best?

mattfinch

Hello all again.

Im still looking at getting a 350z in the next few months. Iv had a look at a few now and im not sure what to do. My friend owns a jap import place and I have been looking at loads that are in the auctions out there and there are some really nice looking ones. Now this garage converts the speedo for me and slaps a fog light on the back. But sat nav etc will all be jap. I really dont know if I should get an import or just wait till I find a nice uk gt spec one. Will a import be more of a hassle then what its worth.

Any advice would be really great.

Many thanks

There is nothing wrong with imports HOWEVER you need to make sure its a good spec with the brembos etc, your satnav will not work over here also. If I am honest, if you are in no real rush, just wait for the right UK 350z to turn up. You also have to think about your resale value, JDM'S dont hold their value that much.

Buy a UK spec, theres plenty out there cheap enough to warrant not buying an import, although some people like to, I know someone who was after an import and hes chuffed with his. Imports tend to have that questionably coloured grey dash thing goin on though....hmm :huh:

Thanks all. With the jap imports what would happen with the digital pod on the dash can that be changed to mph or would I have to put up with it being in k/h. Also with the rear fog light can a uk one plug in or will I need to wire it all up?

My digital gauge works in mph... It does say kph still but units work in mph.

My jap import has all the extras that a uk gt has, it has 40k miles and is absolutely mint. I paid 5.5k for it... As far as I know my neighbour who has a uk gt doesn't have anything I don't...

Thats good to know about the gauges. Thanks. And i guess i could just change the paper bits in the dials too so it said mph rather then k/h. Also would the radio still tune in to uk stations or would it just be fuzzy all the time.

When the car is imported, it will have to go through an SVA test. As part of this they change the main speedo to output in MPH, and every import i've seen has a tiny square of black electrical tape stuck over the k in kmph, so it looks like mph. You can barely see it.

Buy a UK car :blink: .... this talk of changing the dial facia papery bits n stuff is enough to put anyone off buying an import when its easier and just as cheap for UK.... I know ... not helpful but you asked lol Won't take long to find a decent GT. (he says..the man who took a million years to get one, but that was down to me)..

http://www.autotrade...age/1?logcode=p

http://www.autotrade...814sj?logcode=p

Not so sure on the ones below, the service history has a * next to it and the other is quite low in price for a 313 and has....a bit different interior lol but meh, theres a good few out there and that was just AT.

EDIT - Infact its got an entirely different interior in one pic to the other...ignore this one perhaps lol

:)

Edited by AMT

you dont have to change anything i bought my import 3 years ago and never had a problem with it and no one ever notices unless their in the know if you like something go take a look this import malarky gets on my nerves sometimes, ive had imports since i was 17 never had a problem driving them or selling them or servicing or m.o.t or parts or anything majorly different to a UK one ...if you change the guages you wont have to change paper bits inside it will have them already

Thats good to know about the gauges. Thanks. And i guess i could just change the paper bits in the dials too so it said mph rather then k/h. Also would the radio still tune in to uk stations or would it just be fuzzy all the time.

Mine reads in mph but the digital clock says kph. Oil pressure reads in bar. You will only get radio2 but the headunit is pap anyway as the cd will start skipping soon enough.

Er, I get all the radio stations perfectly fine on my import. :shrug:

All this information is really helping me out, really appreciate it all. I did look at this one the other day as it was only about 15 miles away from me. Did not think it was too bad.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301094846461/sort/locasc/usedcars/model/350_z/make/nissan/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/me174qt/page/1/quicksearch/true/radius/1500?logcode=p

Mine reads in mph but the digital clock says kph. Oil pressure reads in bar. You will only get radio2 but the headunit is pap anyway as the cd will start skipping soon enough.

Er, I get all the radio stations perfectly fine on my import. :shrug:

Do you have the standard head unit? If so its either had a band expander fitted or is a uk head unit. Does it only tube to 90.00?

I've had an ST JDM and now have a UK GT. If you have the choice obviously a UK car is better for the reasons given above. HOWEVER every import car is given a grade when it comes in (A to D I think, 'A' being the best) and this gives a good indication to its earlier days. Mine was an absolute minter and never gave me any troubles at all. Also remember if the older models are imported after a certain year they suffer the higher tax bracket, even if they are the older model year.

I had a JDM before and the issues I had were:

Radio - As above, you need a radio expander to get UK station. I don't know whether it can get all of them. It is quite cheap, looks like an extender for the aerial lead and you can fit in at the back of the HU.

SAT NAV - The one I had got UK / Europe disc, just need to work out what the Jap button means.

Battery - The JDM terminals on the car are smaller. The UK battery didn't fit as UK car got bigger terminals. You need to remember that. Not a problem getting 1 on the web but not sure you can get 1 from Halford.

Car Tax band - Mine was 52 plate, but it was import in 2007 so it was high tax band, I think 400+.

Dial - You don't need to change it, mine was the Jap one with the K blacked out and replaced with an M.

Limit - Correct me if I got this wrong but there is a speed limiter on the JDM car. I can't remember what it was but an HKS defender was installed to remove it. It was on the 1 I bought.

Version - it seems there are various different version over there but all UK car got Brembo?

When it goes through the SVA everything should have been done to make it legal on UK road anyway. i.e. fog light, Speedo.

I don't think owning a JDM is troublesome but I wish I knew some of the above before I got the car last time. I didn't help when the battery need changing and I tried to put a Halford one in only to find out the terminals are not right.

So this time I got a UK Zed.

• Like 1

To be honest after reading all this I think im going to get a uk gt pack one. There are some nice import ones out there but i feel it will make my life eaiser to start off with a uk one and build it up from there. Also was it an optional extra to have the sat nav or is it meant to come on all gt packs. ( Im talking about 02 to 06)

To be honest after reading all this I think im going to get a uk gt pack one. There are some nice import ones out there but i feel it will make my life eaiser to start off with a uk one and build it up from there. Also was it an optional extra to have the sat nav or is it meant to come on all gt packs. ( Im talking about 02 to 06)

Sat Nav was a £2k extra.

It's pretty crap though. Non touch screen, crappy remote with 10 year old maps (no M6 Toll road for example)

• Like 1