My neighbours just reversed into my car

jell36

Are you sure it wont affect my insurance premium even though it's a no fault claim? From reading on google it looks as though some insurance companies do increase premiums for non fault claims. Also I don't want to loose my 4 years no claims bonus but then I guess it's a claim on her insurance and not mine.

You wouldn't loss your no claims since the third party will have to pay to sort it. I would defiantly go through insurance, life is much easier that way...finding a body shop, having some wheels to get you around whilst work is done, chasing the third party to pay to body shop, unexpected costs, all things the insurance company will take care off.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, it depends on your insurer.

You definitely won't lose your NCB as you're not claiming. However, you will have to declare a non-fault accident at renewal time and they may choose to load your premium because of this. As always, ring and ask for clarification.

If you get on well with her and trust her 100% (and I mean proper 100%), then let her do it outside of the insurance. If you suspect foul play for even one second, then call your insurer and let them handle it.

IMO I think you would be wise to involve the insurance and get a good repairer to check out the extent of the damage - these things invairably turn out to cost a whole lot more than first thought and usually the 'culprit' will not be prepared for many hundreds the repair is likely to cost.

ok so I got a quote from a local independant today (who Wanted recommended) and the price came in at a nice £175 for the front wing panel beaten and resprayed. I also spoke to him about having the whole front end sprayed at the same time (lots and lots of stone chips) and that came in at £350, so £175 from my neighbour and £175 from me. I showed the quote for just the wing to my neighbour and she was shocked at how much it was going to cost so chose to go through her SAGA insurance. Saga gave me a ring and said she had admitted liability and they would offer me a hire car that is at least equivelant to mine and gave me the option of sending the car to Nissan for repair or using a repairer of my choice. They are going to call me in the morning to find out me decision.

What would you do?

1. Use Nissan to get the repairs done but I don't know who will do the actual spraying as the Nissan garage does not have the facilities

2. Use the local independant who has been recommended by Wanted and another 2 friends of mine but I can't personally vouch for his work (but the unit looked like he knew what he was doing and I have no reason to distrust him)

Also I asked the Saga man on the phone if I needed to contact my insurance company and he said he wouldn't bother. He said normally it would be done through my insurance and then billed to Saga but in this instance because liability has already been admitted he said Saga was more then happy to just sort and pay for the repairs without contacting my insurance company - Does this sound legitimate?

sounds good to me

I would go with your choice of repairer though - the place where my TT was sent was their choice and I returned the car 3 times before accepting it back as an acceptable standard

Edited by ioneabee

sounds good to me

I would go with your choice of repairer though - the place where my TT was sent was their choice and I returned the car 3 times before accepting it back as an acceptable standard

:thumbs: I think that's what I will do as I have no idea who Nissan will use for the re-spray and the independent sounded like he would do a good job and fix it if I wasn't happy.

Sounds to good to be true (as they say).................but perhaps on this occasion it is. :scare:

Very, very few Nissan dealers have bodyshops in-house - it just gets contracted out to an 'approved' bodyshop so that the Nissan warranty is not in question, but given the age of your car and if it were me I wouldn't be worried about that - more important is to ensure the work is done to a standard acceptable to you.

Do not sign for a hire car. It is a credit agreement and they will hang on to your car for as long as possible to bump up the hire costs to the 3rd party's insurer. If they then refuse to pay the extortionate hire car rates, you will be left to foot the bill.

This has all the makings of an accident management company scam to me. All it does is benefit them and raise everybody's premiums. Their keenness to chase you for an answer is an indication. Most insurers drag their heels on everything. If it were straight, the bodyshop or garage would offer you a free courtesy car, not a hire car equivalent to your Z. Walk away from these shysters and contact your own insurers.

Edited by Supratad

Well to give you all an update

The insurance people rang Nissan and were infromed that they sub contracted out their body work to Volkswagen in West Bridgford in Nottingham and that I needed to pop down their for an estimate. So seeing as I pass the place to and from work I popped in on my way home today and the guy had a look and took some pictures and said he would let the insurance compnay know the price tomorrow.

I also asked him to give me a personal quote to spray the front bumper, bonnet and the other wing at the same time (I don't want the one wing spraying when the whole front end is covered in stone chips, 90,000 miles and never been resprayed, as that will just look daft)

So tomorrow I will find out the price for my additional work and then make a decision as to who to use although I was a bit annoyed that the VW guy didn't look for any further damage, he just looked at the obvious that could be seen from a mile away.

I would just make sure whoever you take it to properly strips and inspects and that any additional parts or repairs are covered by the insurance. Its a non-fault accident which means the insurance company will pay upto 70% of the value of the car in repair costs and 100% if you deem it to be your pride and joy. I appreciate the damage is not that heavy but just make sure it is better when you get it back than before the accident and that everything is properly repaired

Well below are the pics but they really don't show the damage very well although the damage wasn't particulary bad anyway.

20130113_115054_zps2617aabd.jpg

20130113_115104_zpsd8d34fb7.jpg

20130113_115108_zpsf3db0e43.jpg

20130113_115130_zps857ae436.jpg

And the neighbours car

20130113_115204_zps9b093476.jpg

£350 for a front end respray doesn't seem that cheap to me, it was the same price that Andy from CS quoted me for.

I would just make sure whoever you take it to properly strips and inspects and that any additional parts or repairs are covered by the insurance. Its a non-fault accident which means the insurance company will pay upto 70% of the value of the car in repair costs and 100% if you deem it to be your pride and joy. I appreciate the damage is not that heavy but just make sure it is better when you get it back than before the accident and that everything is properly repaired

Yeah that's where I am torn, I haven't been very impressed with VW especially with him not looking for any underlying damage but if I take it to the private body shop then I don't know if the insurance will pay if any more damage is found.

Edited by jell36

If you contact your insurance company this will be on your record for five years whether your fault or not.

You don't know what hidden damage could've been done that you can't see.

Don't contact the insurance company as no one was injured (plus see above)

Her insurance premium is going to go up if she claims on itI'd get a quote, if she can afford it out of pocket do it that way, if not go through insurance.

• 3 weeks later...

Well just to give you all an update, my car is going in to VW on Wednesday to have the front offside wing (insurance paying), front bumper, bonnet, and near side wing resprayed (costing me £570) and I will be picking up a Porsche Boxster automatic as a hire car for the week. My neighbour chose to go through insurance as she then gets hers repaired too and hers is already in the garage getting done (mine was delayed as I had to go to the US for work).

The chap who is oraganising everything from the insurance company said if he was me, he wouldn't bother telling my insurance company or declaring it when I come to renew my insurance as there will be no record of it anywhere except with Saga (the neighbours insurer), would you guys trust this?

Also when I come to sell the car do you think people will try to knock money off for the front end respray? I guess people will look and think it's been in a bad smash but obviously it hasn't.

My advice is dont lie or cover it up. They ask explicitly have you had an accident or made a claim. The garage is correct they may never find out but if they do you are screwed. They only need the slightest excuse to cancel the policy and their premium is based on the information you provide so don't lie or risk your cover being worth nothing.

My advice is dont lie or cover it up. They ask explicitly have you had an accident or made a claim. The garage is correct they may never find out but if they do you are screwed. They only need the slightest excuse to cancel the policy and their premium is based on the information you provide so don't lie or risk your cover being worth nothing.

Thanks Will, that was what I was thinking, I couldn't afford to replace the car if anything happened and the insurance refused to pay out. The only bit I'm thinking where there may be a little but of wiggle room is that I haven't made a claim and I haven't been involved in an accident, my car has without me.