filthy engine bay

350Chris

How best to clean my engine bay?

Started thinking about this today after watching a detailing video on youtube in which the guy applied a substance akin to bilberry wheel cleaner around the bay and then jet washed off...

I dont have a pressure washer, but have always been told that an engine bay is a no go area - understandably so to my logic.

The engine bay needs lifting as I add bits to it...but what do people do as far as cleaning method and products?

Edited by 350Chris

I use some ChemGuys degreaser agitated and soaked up with a microfibre, and then some AG tyre shine for the plastic bits. In theory you shoud be able to bag off the electric bits and attack with a hose, but there's no way I'm that brave.

Any degreaser is a good start. I've used gunk as it is readily available from halfords but seems nasty stuff. Now I would use meguiars all purpose cleaner or maybe valet pro citrus pre wash and a paint brush to agitate.

I've used hose pipes and pressure washers in the past without bagging anything off to rinse off. I'm careful not to get it near the fuse boxes or ECU and I don't dwell over connections. Just a quick rinse.

PM Wasso :)

Easy tiger, I spent about 8 hours cleaning my bay, I don't want to do another one :lol:

Although if £££ are in order then I'd be glad to strip the engine bay of intake and plenum and then give it a good scrub.

I've done it on a few cars, just cover up the electrical parts, and without a doubt you MUST use a pressure washer (normal hose just chucks out too much water).

I typically spray on some bilt hamber 'Surfex-HD' - it's brilliant stuff, just agitate it with a brush and rinse it off.

Lastly, I always start the car as quickly as possible, and let it heat up to dry out any water. (keep a can of wd40 nearby just in case :D )

Failing any of that, check out detailingworld, plenty of great advice on there :)