Gutted

Charlie

Well, today was not the best for me. My beloved Zed is a total loss. Spoke to the garage this morning and the engineer came out on Friday and they told me the total cost for new engine etc is 16k. :yuck: So that looks like my time owning one has lasted 6 months.

Jesus Christ, and all that was the fault of some idiot who wouldn't slow down for oncoming cars and then drove off without a care in the world, leaving the destruction behind him.

Someone's surely taking the **** there?

What's the cost of a VQ crate engine? Surely it's not £16k! You can get an LS3 and all ancillaries and fitting for£10k....hell, you can get an LS7 for not much more than £16k!

Edited by Lexx

I smell an insurance naughty.....and having seen this last night:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od

More info here

http://www.autovip.co.uk/news/?p=1277

If it were me, I would be seeking an independent expert opinion knowing that £16k is like plucking fiqures out of the air, and even if th car did need engine work, a rebuild is going to cost nowhere near that money.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, and yes I have to admit I was shocked when the garage told me that. The assessor for Sainsburys bank called me today and confirmed it is a total loss. He estimated it to be 13k to get it on the road, however, he did say that was for the basic and didn't allow for any other work that may get found. So, at the moment, I have an offer, which after I take my excess off (£500) I am left with just over 8.5k. So now my dilemma starts, do I go and get another Zed or get something different.

I test drove and Audi A3 sport today and it was ok, then a 1 series BMW, which was awful and finally after much persuasion from my wife I drove a Merc SLK 200 convertible. Out of those the Audi was the best, reasonable pick up and not too bad inside. BUT, it's no comparison to the Zed....

I'd have the car back and cancel the claim if you can afford for someone decent to look after it.

I work in insurance and the cost of used parts is so high they can profit for cars they declare as right offs by breaking them instead

That is the problem. I am not sure I would want it back now. I can buy it back for 2k but I have no desire to go down the route of having it repaired, and it could cost me alot of money.

I have just done an insurance search and bizarrely my insurance is now cheaper on a Zed.

Write it off to a bad experience, and get another car. If you buy another Zed at this point it won't feel the same, and there's plenty of interesting metal out there for £8.5K-ish to play with should you choose. What year and mileage was your car out of interest? Sorry if I've missed you mentioning it already.

Write it off to a bad experience, and get another car. If you buy another Zed at this point it won't feel the same, and there's plenty of interesting metal out there for £8.5K-ish to play with should you choose. What year and mileage was your car out of interest? Sorry if I've missed you mentioning it already.

That is exactly how I feel right now. I keep swaying towards another 350, but then think get something else for a year or 18 months and then get a 370 and then a GT86 when the price lowers. It was an 06 at 67000 miles. Had the GT pack too.

Well, at the least push back on the offer. You don't have to accept their first one. Get examples of Zeds like your old one and prove what it is worth to replace.

If you can essentially buy the same thing for £8.5k then fair enough...l!!

I'd need a bit more to get what I want. They knocked off a bit because they said it needed a new rear tyre?? Quite why that matters I have no idea.

Bloody outrageous :surrender: Hope you can get it sorted :)

It is, and bloody annoying too, although it is just another pile of poo to step over and get on with.

Edited by Charlie

That's not a bad payout really, considering. I'd still push for more, but there's not a massive amount out there to back your case up right now.

Yeah I have done a fair bit of research on it once I realised it was highly likely to not come back to me and you are right, there is not much about at the same level.

The problem is I only like a few cars that are in my budget.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well the insurance company paid out and I managed to negotiate a payout of 9k, which I am happy with. So I am now the owner of a BMW 325i, which I am pretty impressed with if I am honest. Totally different animal to the Zed, but I love the steptronic gearbox which is very responsive and it has all the toys, gadgets etc.

Did think about getting another 350, but think I will wait until the 370 comes down to a more affordable price.