Christmas Driving?

brillomaster

So as we all know, the xmas period is the time when everyone typically tries to get to everywhere else, making the motorways of the UK absolutely chockablock with estate cars overflowing with tasteless presents and vomiting children... however, for some of us it means that wonderful cross country journeys, and a good amount of driving!

Normally we would drive down to my girlfriends parents in south wales in the GFs 1.1 206 - but since i also have to see friends in west wales, and then my dad in ludlow, before driving back to wales for new years, i have to take the zed!

So the proposed route... Day 1, starting from near Ebbw Vale, take the B4560 over the brecons and then west on the A40 to Llandovery, and cut across the A482 to Lampeter.

Day 2, back down the A482, then North East on the A483 and B4358 to Llandrindod Wells, then east on the A488 to Knighton, and onwards on the A4113 to Ludlow.

Day 3, south on A49 to Leominster, then South west on the A44, A4112 and A438 to Talgarth, before cutting across the black mountains on the A479.

http://goo.gl/maps/AkgNe

Total distance, 221 miles of sheer Welsh driving road bliss :D

Anyone else planning any good drives over the xmas period?

Not much Christmas driving for me but tomorrow I'll be passing by the Lord Moreton...maybe I'll pop in and stay for more than five minutes this time ;)

I think I forget how lucky I am living in Chester having the Welsh roads pretty much on my doorstep.

Enjoy your trip!

S.

From the looks of it I'll have to drive down to Shrewsbury and back tonight (90 miles round trip) , might need a boat though :).

Pete

Im heading up to shrewsbury tomorrow to see friends but they told me this afternoon the roads near there are not good and flooding is a problem, good luck withthe journey pete

Thanks for the heads up Will. I'm waiting for a phone call from my daughter, she's on her way up from South Wales by train and there are apparently problems on the line beyond Shrewsbury towards Wrexham. It's complicated, but she could get a train to Crewe but the Chester to Crewe line is flooded so she'd have to travel up to Warrington then back to Chester......this could be a long night :lol: .

Pete

Not much Christmas driving for me but tomorrow I'll be passing by the Lord Moreton...maybe I'll pop in and stay for more than five minutes this time ;)

I think I forget how lucky I am living in Chester having the Welsh roads pretty much on my doorstep.

Enjoy your trip!

S.

I hope you're joining us for a drive this year Squee? :)