just saw The Hobbit at the cinema...

The Bounty Bar Kid

The Hobbit book shall be split into 3 films.

The events that take place in the Hobbit films, take place before the events in The Lord of the Rings.

Probably useful to watch LOTR but not essential. Think of the 6 films like the Star Wars films. Last three in storyline produced, then years later the first three produced.

Hope this helps!

Always welcome round ours Jim - its why we have a HD projector and 75" screen :thumbs:

Yes but the only copy of the film you are likely to have would be a wobby cam version filmed in 480p which would look like Lego Hobbitt :surrender:

:lol:

Well Jim will have to wait til its on BD but he needs a bit of time to save up for the air fare! :lol:

Remember Jim, we have nice Stressless sofa and chair now too, better than even the VIP seating at cinemas B)

I work as a visual effects artist for feature film, so like the rest of my colleagues I was also intrigued to see the film in HFR (not to be confused with camera shutter speed or tv refresh rates). I knew in my mind what it was going to look like (shite) and unfortunately it lived up to that expectation.

Film is cool once it gets going but HFR is diabolical.

IF you are a bit of a geek - have a read of this:

http://masterzap.blo...rame-rates.html

I can say I'll happily watch it again, albeit at normal 24fps, and not in 3d either (although I think it's just converted to 24fps, so motion blur will still be lacking I think).

HFR-just-say-no-thumb-300xauto-35612.jpg

:lol:

But to quickly summarise why I thought it looked bad:

I expected Benny Hill music to come on in some shots, as it looked sped up !

It made the film look like a pantomime and a TV kids show at the same time.

It's probably something most folks won't consciously be aware of until you have a direct comparison side by side.

Edited by RobPhoboS

It's probably like a lot of technologies when they're still fairly new, just takes some refining until it's amazing.

This isn't the case with HFR, it has a very clinical feel to it, so it only works with some scenarios rather than an entire film. They can mix and match 24/48 etc rather than just sticking with one format. If used creatively, then I think it'll have it's place as much as slow motion does for films. :)

It's probably like a lot of technologies when they're still fairly new, just takes some refining until it's amazing.

This isn't the case with HFR, it has a very clinical feel to it, so it only works with some scenarios rather than an entire film. They can mix and match 24/48 etc rather than just sticking with one format. If used creatively, then I think it'll have it's place as much as slow motion does for films. :)

Exactly the slow mo sequences in The Matrix were fantastic but imagine sitting through a whole 3 hours of that :surrender: