350Z.... snow... Falkens....here we go...

AMT

Well, my sis just shouted...its snowing, looked out the window and yep, that son of a b****'n white stuff is coming down, lightly but still coming. I've been out in -2C and its been fine, so... Falkens and tomorrows trip to work. I can only hope it doesn't lie ...(looks out window again... yes it is lying :dry:). That bad winter we had, there was a new 3 series infront of me and he did better than most people that day, if he can do it in that, I'm gonna give it a bash.... :headhurt: I'll let you know how I get on :lol: ..wish me luck....lol

lol Just checked the weather its meant to rain and be around 3C tomorrow... I hope it is...bloody snow. Regardless... I need to get to work and I refuse to get a train for some light snow... (hoping he doesnt wake up in winter wonderland tomorrow)... :cold:

It's not always snow that's the issue as me and Lexx found out one winter. I luckily only damaged two rims, but purely down to black ice.

So don't always believe its safe, the councils are crap at ensuring road safety, and don't I know it :thumbdown:

It's not always snow that's the issue as me and Lexx found out one winter. I luckily only damaged two rims, but purely down to black ice.

So don't always believe its safe, the councils are crap at ensuring road safety, and don't I know it :thumbdown:

+1 I personally find that when it gets cold up here it can be cold for days on end. So even if the car is saying 3c the ground has been -1c for the last 2 weeks its still going to be solid and icy where you dont expect or see it.

When I was driving to work the other day in the z the car just started squirming and I was going at 30mph, ice. Not saying winter tyres will be a million times better but the sipes and material definitely gives more bite on ice.

winter tyres will make a big difference to winter driving, but just becuase your neighbour made it doens;t mean you will.

a lot of progress in poor weather conditions is down to the driver and their skill not what car it is and waht they have on the wheels.

key tips

- pull away in third

- use the clutch and the bite point to rock the car in to momentum/movement

- tickle the throttle like its a hair trigger on a bomb

- use your gears to slow down

- always use a high gear

- don;t touch the brakes unless you have to, slow down with the gears

- read the road in front, leave huge gaps to allow for emergency braking and the fact you're going to slide

- in RWD steer out of the slide not into it.

- go slowly, don;t power out of corners keep everything constant, no sudden steering or throttle or brake inputs

- if it all goes wrong hold on tight, don;t shut your eyes and aim for the softest thing you can see (avoid posts etc)

• Like 3

winter tyres will make a big difference to winter driving, but just becuase your neighbour made it doens;t mean you will.

a lot of progress in poor weather conditions is down to the driver and their skill not what car it is and waht they have on the wheels.

key tips

- pull away in third

- use the clutch and the bite point to rock the car in to momentum/movement

- tickle the throttle like its a hair trigger on a bomb

- use your gears to slow down

- always use a high gear

- don;t touch the brakes unless you have to, slow down with the gears

- read the road in front, leave huge gaps to allow for emergency braking and the fact you're going to slide

- in RWD steer out of the slide not into it.

- go slowly, don;t power out of corners keep everything constant, no sudden steering or throttle or brake inputs

- if it all goes wrong hold on tight, don;t shut your eyes and aim for the softest thing you can see (avoid posts etc)

+1 Good advice

I found that no matter how gently I changed down the rears would always spin a little.... so watch out for that one :scare:

I personally and this is IMO and what has worked for me when stuck in very cold/snowy weather perfer to take off in 1st but switch up straight away to 2nd or 3rd. I find the car lurches less and if you need a little throttle to get it going in 3rd or second to stop it from stalling its kinda pointless IMO.

If you are going to use the brakes try to do it slowly and steadly e.g. like there is something soft under the pedal. Keep de icer a scraper and warm clothes handy too.

The best piece of advice is if its snowing and you have got winter tyres double or treble the time you think the journey will take and leave early so you don't rush. If you don't have winter tyres maybe 4-5 times the time it would take.

Keep your distance from other cars. Also look at the driving style and behavior of other drivers. See someone driving like a prat let him pass you so he can crash in front of you not into you.

Make sure your screenwash is diluted properly.

Try not to brake hard enough to activate ABS otherwise you will slide all day.

But honestly honestly if its pretty bad and you don't have winter tyres, stay home or use public transport (if its running). I think winter tyres are great as before driving in winter was an @rse clenching experience.

But honestly honestly if its pretty bad and you don't have winter tyres, stay home or use public transport (if its running). I think winter tyres are great as before driving in winter was an @rse clenching experience.

best bit of advice

rest is all good too :wink:

I need to get to work and I refuse to get a train for some light snow

I personally wouldn't risk my car in the snow, its not just you skidding/loosing control you have to worry about, its others who don't adapt their driving to the weather.The way some people drive in the snow or even heavy rain is crazy.

I'd rather just pay the price for a train journey, less stress and the Z will be safe.

First proper test of the winter tyres this morning (Kumho KW27s) - can't fault them - car felt planted until I tested them in the work carpark (in the interests of science of course :)) and you can still comfortably get the back end out.

I do think I might have made myself unpopular though - was chatting to the boss and he said "if you can get in driving that, noone has an excuse"

Well I made it, the main roads and M8 were fine all the snow was away and it was raining but the road I pick my m8 up in is vile. even in 5th gear with hardly any throttle and going slow it was squirming, but we survived. Picking away in the snow was the most annoying bit, forgot what drive it was and resorted to tiny pick away and quickly up the gears but that doesn't work with RWD lol. So next time I think i'll be easing out the clutch and letting it roll away and then slowly heading up gears, let the car do the moving as aposed to my right foot spinning up the rears.

On a 60 road out of my town had a nice line of traffic behind me, including a Focus ST, who kindly gave me the distance behind me as aposed to sitting on my backside.

Thanks for the advice RT! Good wee list there :)

Anyway should only be here for today... thankfully lol I now know its limit... not very much. I see a train coming soon :lol:

Edited by AMT250

The rain took most of the snow away, so I decided to go see my uncle. Hes got a not bad house, long drive in up a hill and into a big bit at the back, ahhh, it'll be fine now, the temps up..... I drive in head first, go to reverse ...and all the happens is I slide closer down the hill towards his outside benches and concrete steps.. :scare: Got within a rulers length of a bench but managed to gently... god every so gently back it up then turn round. It was only slushy ice like stuff! lol Horrendous :lol: Definatley not worth the risk to the car or me, next time ..train. Why do I have to live in a place where every exit out of it is a big hill....lol

Edited by AMT250

Near Harthill mate. Any surrounding area of there always gets snow bad, even bloody gets dark n dreery' when your on the motorway... coming from glasgow?... crap weather in the middle, coming from edinburgh?... crap weather in the middle lol :lol: