350Z.... snow... Falkens....here we go...

AMT

... I did notice when ..helpfully being stuck in my uncles drive for a bit that reversing seems a better way, I may park head on in the snow, although now if its snowing I'll likely be 'enjoying' the train. (Hopefully these will be off if its that bad and I can go back to bed) :)

does improve it, instead of the rear pushing all the weight up, going in reverse drags it up. makes it more stable, works even better with a few mates sat on the boot, or carrying a bag or 4 of cement in the boot.

+1 When we used to have a van for work. We would load it up so it worked in the snow otherwise wheel spin city. Although I do think putting winter tyres on it would have stopped some of the problems :lol:

In the old days my dad said there was this massive hill near where he lived and 3-4 fat guys used to wait there and jump on peoples bonnets to help them get up the hill when it snowed. :wacko:

You need to watch with the trains as not last year but the year before most of them up here where off and there was a pseudo bus service instead. Apparently snow on the tracks but what good is a few flakes of snow when a 50ton train is on it? :surrender:

true lol. Prob nost this year but may think about some winter tyres for next year if they were good enough for a normal-ish drive. But its gone for now so... phew. No public transport for me just yet... :blush:

I used to live up the top of 2 fairly steep and long hills,was gutted when I couldnt get winter tyres after ordering them in September time ish. Anyway,dreaded driving to and from work (30 miles) in my Zed with 19" wheels and tyres,but i and the car survived. Just took my time,was gentle with all the inputs,and spent many hours laying grit down the roads and clearing tracks for the neighbors. If you live in a bad area for snow or icey roads,get out there and do something about it.

they say for the best winter driver car, you want:

Narrow tyres

with a snow/winter tread and compound

small wheels

not too much power

front or 4wd

good manual gear box

what i have

300 wide 30 profile tyres

summer tyres

on 20" wheels

over 400 Bhp

RWD

with an auto box with no snow mode.

and i'll still be driving in the snow when it comes. :lol:

Anyone know how the vredersteins hold up in the snow? I can imagine them turning into sledges when they fill up

Idrove on them in the zed in the snow and found them to be alright. because of the tread pattern design it does feel like the car slightly crabs across the road; its a very odd sensation, but thegrooves seem to cut into the snow quiet nicely, a bit like a caterpillar track/digger

they say for the best winter driver car, you want:

Narrow tyres

with a snow/winter tread and compound

small wheels

not too much power

front or 4wd

good manual gear box

what i have

300 wide 30 profile tyres

summer tyres

on 20" wheels

over 400 Bhp

RWD

with an auto box with no snow mode.

and i'll still be driving in the snow when it comes. :lol:

You live in sissy england though. Come to the motherland and give it a bash!

Also I think RWD can actually be better in the snow as I find understeer is more likely to happen then oversteer.

I personally think winter tyres should be made the law between dec-jan and that way no one can crash or skip work.

I personally think winter tyres should be made the law between dec-jan and that way no one can crash or skip work.

agreed

I'm not sure how bad it got down there but 2 winter ago we started to run out of fuel and supermarkets where getting bare. Yeah panic buying never helps but come on we can get to the moon, make sunlight into electric and talk over the internet but in the UK a bit of snow and we are all doomed.

Although I always avoid taking rear wheel drive cars out in the snow, i've previously been out there with my exige (fine) and bmw 330ci (awful), amazingly the 350z has probably been the best of the lot. Its SUCH a well balanced car, as long as all your inputs are super-smooth it's a very natural thing to drive in the snow if you get caught out (that was vreds on the front, F452's on the rear). I now have 452's all round and although they are definitely not the best tyre for grip in cold, damp/slimey conditions, in dry/ very wet they've been fine. We'll see how they fair this winter!

Also, fresh snow is never too bad, it's the compacted then frozen stuff thats the worst..

As for FWD vd RWD discussed above, the real issue is getting the weight over the driven wheels, and in addition, the thinner the tyre, the more pressure on the road surface. Hence why rwd cars with wide sports tyres like the bmw are so classically stranded and other, more basic FWD cars are often better. Best normal car I have ever driven in the snow is a hyundai coupe. Very heavy, low power, thin tyres and engine weight over the driven wheels.

Edited by Siman350z

Winter/snow driving has never really bothered me, I just apply the 'drive smoothly and carefully' approach mentioned above. I've had RWD cars before (a few BMW's) and have survived without incident.

However this year (my first winter with the Zed) I've decided to give winter tyres a go, as I want to ensure I'm doing as much as possible to keep my car in one piece. I'm currently running the standard 18's and have picked up a set of part worn winter tyres (225/45 and 245/45) for a total of £175 with >5mm of tread. Yes, I know this can start the whole 'used/part worn tyre debate, but I thought it would be a way I get to try out winter tyres.

It may be a bit of a placebo effect, but they do certainly feel sure footed at the moment. OK, I've not experienced snow yet, but in the recent zero degree slippy/greasy conditions, I tried to get the rear to step out a little in places where I knew it would with summer rubber, and the car held firm.

We'll see how long they last (were fitted at the weekend). I do about 1000 miles a month, so figure they'll get me through till I need to change back over.

• Like 1

This morning, stuck cars, me passing them in the Zed. Winter tyres work.

They should be law - I do not want to do 11mph because you are on LingLong ditchfinders - if you drove a car without brakes, you would get into bother, why is driving a car with no grip not the same?

This morning, stuck cars, me passing them in the Zed. Winter tyres work.

They should be law - I do not want to do 11mph because you are on LingLong ditchfinders - if you drove a car without brakes, you would get into bother, why is driving a car with no grip not the same?

+1. Snowing here now. I can't see any downside to having winter tyres...apart from initial outlay.

I take it back! Wussed out this morning in our village- because we're in the middle of no-where the roads aren't salted and it's now compacted, snow-ice. Took our puma in which was fine. Drive safe out there guys! Winter tyres are better in this weather although remember they are better for the low temps, ice but no necessarily snow itself although i'm sure they make a huge difference vs summer tyres.

..Also shocked to see people driving on non-icy, non-snowy, well salted wet 60mph limit roads at 15mph in a straight line causing huge tail backs...

Winter/snow driving has never really bothered me, I just apply the 'drive smoothly and carefully' approach mentioned above.

Exactly, you can have the best tyres in the world on but still easily loose it. Smoothly is the way to go but it's very important that you anticipate junctions and leave a large gap to the car in front, this will also prevent your windscreen getting covered in slush, etc. A few years ago I had a very important appointment at a hospital in Wrexham, it was snowing like crazy, the car in front stopped and I carefully slowed down before stopping. 10 seconds later I heard a series of bangs as the cars 4 or 5 behind me piled into each other. All the signs are pointing to a very cold, snowy and possibly lengthy spell of weather over the next few weeks so If your tyres are still legal but down to 2 or so mms then get them changed, a set of so called ditch finders with 5mms on them will work better in the snow than a set of barely legal super tyres. When you come back from from your drive knock off as much of the slush as possible from around your wheel arches and give your wiper blades and headlights a quick clean.

Pete

Thats the minor yet still annoying hill to go pick up my mate in the morning, turned it around at the top. ...slooowww n' steady..especially going down lol. Sheet ice...gotta love it. Its more dangerous going down the hill as slightest little brake can upset it lol My avoidance for public transport is doing not bad so far.

350Z-ic.jpg

drove mine to work but the Z isn't the ideal snow vehicle! Had to stop halfway up a hill due to a stuck bin wagon and that took a while to sort out...

Hardly touched the accel pedal the whole way & took back roads to avoid the lunatics. Pull away on the clutch and let it crawl in gear!

I know I'm sad for taking a photo but had to be done :blush:

post-17081-0-88750000-1354786565_thumb.jpg