Any Knowledgeable Audio HiFi buffs out there

rtbiscuit

Sounds like you are gonna have a cool weekend :thumbs:

Maybe should start another discussion but what will be the first thing you listen to on it.......

I have a couple of tracks I always listen to

1. Stellify by Ian Brown

2. Broken Stones by Paul Weller

3. Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

Plenty of others but those 3 really hit the button :cloud9:

did a quick cable length check and it looks like it will reasch with some to spare, so splicing is saved for another day. AMP arrived this evening, but i''m now back at work for parents evening. on way home going to pick up a LAN cable, HDMI cable, and a male to twin male RCA cable for the sub.

as for first thing to play, it will probably be tested with the TV and then a movie as thats its primary role. but tomorrow while the wife is out, i shall run some music through it for a proper test :teeth:

did a quick cable length check and it looks like it will reasch with some to spare, so splicing is saved for another day. AMP arrived this evening, but i''m now back at work for parents evening. on way home going to pick up a LAN cable, HDMI cable, and a male to twin male RCA cable for the sub.

as for first thing to play, it will probably be tested with the TV and then a movie as thats its primary role. but tomorrow while the wife is out, i shall run some music through it for a proper test :teeth:

Nice one.....

For a surround sound test, don't laugh but I use Toy Story on blu ray :blush:

The bit at the petrol station where Woody & Buzz have a fight and a truck rolls right up to almost squash Woody..... that certainly gives all the speakers a work out ;)

I have actually got a 5.1 test disk around somewhere that has rain forest noises etc a bit random but again really shows the set up off B)

Miss my hifi - had to sell when I was unemployed for eighteen sodding months to raise funds. Used to have a 44kg aluminium turntable from germany, an SME tonearm, Marantz SACD player, Musical fidelity preamp and 40wpc class A solid state power amp feeding Amphion Xenon speakers. Made very sweet sounds indeed.

Replaced it with something slightly more domestically acceptable but it obviously lack some of the cavernous bass that the TT and SACD delivered. Now using a Thorens TD309 / Marantz pearl sacd feeding an MF KW550 and Wilson Benesch Square Twos. Money that could've been spent on bits for the Zed of course, but you have to balance these things out :)

DT

• Like 1

Miss my hifi - had to sell when I was unemployed for eighteen sodding months to raise funds. Used to have a 44kg aluminium turntable from germany, an SME tonearm, Marantz SACD player, Musical fidelity preamp and 40wpc class A solid state power amp feeding Amphion Xenon speakers. Made very sweet sounds indeed.

:console:

Replaced it with something slightly more domestically acceptable but it obviously lack some of the cavernous bass that the TT and SACD delivered. Now using a Thorens TD309 / Marantz pearl sacd feeding an MF KW550 and Wilson Benesch Square Twos. Money that could've been spent on bits for the Zed of course, but you have to balance these things out :)

DT

:yahoo:

i can;t wait to go set it up; just trying to work out if i should do it tonight or do the marking that desperatly needs doing for tomorrow.

.....ok hifi setup it is lol

No contest...... it's friday tomorrow just stick a video on thats why my teacher used to do on a friday and it never did me any harm :lol:

Proper man job sorting out a Hi-Fi :thumbs:

Well i got back from parents evening, ate dinner and then fell asleep. woke up got a rollocking from the wife as i hadn't set it up to her specification (everything hidden) compared to my specification (everything on show). spent a bit of time move subs around hidding them behind chairs, moving speakers. (now have one in each corner; as apposed to 2 either side the TV). got in a grump with the wife after getting bored of being told what to do. she went to bed and this is when i set too routing all the cables from their new location to the AVR. have now trimmed all the ends, and carefully wired them all up.(labelling as i went)

now i can't fully test it as i need some more cables.i did try and get some on my way home but they didn;t have everything i needed so i'm going to a proper shop tomorrow afternoon and get it all then. i need 1 more HDMI to connect from the AVR to the TV and 5m of RCA male to Twin RCA male for connecting the sub. and a LAN cable for the networking function. and a video out RCA cable just incase my TV doesnt do ARC.

so to do a quick test i managed to get a FM signal and the fronts crackled in so it seems they work.

excited about a proper test tomorrow.

only just got it setup :blush: was running it earlier but had to pop out for a phono to phono cable for the OSD output. and it took me ages to find the button on the remote that said home :blush: currently have no sub, as i couldn;t get hold of the 5m of cable i needed...well i could have but i would have paid an extorionate amount of money for something that to all intents and purposes is a mono signal to the sub. I'm hoping it will arrive tomorrow. I finally managed to do the auto MCACC setup and its crisped everythnig up nicely.

currently watching spider man (the new one) on sky.and the speakers are performing extremely well. the sound out of the kefs is beautifully clear. can hear the tiniest of sounds. looking forward to testing it with the sub hopefully tomorrow with the blacks ops II test.

so far am very happy chappy. with a setup that should have cost just over a grand for the grand total of £400 thats AVR, speakers, stands, QED cable, LAN cable, HDMI cable, Twin Phono cable and 5 m of sub cable.

sub cable arrived this morning, all plugged in, but as the wife is home and helping test it; i've used the MCACC setup and it works but is very conservative. but as you crank the volume up it sounds great. just a little worried as the sub is placed next to the wall between myself and my next door neighbour. :blush:

just been using 101 power ballads to test it out with and some cee lo green

Get some giant slabs of marble to put the speakers on, soaks up all the bad frequencies and stops the sub rumbling too much and annoying next door. Me and Mark got ours from eBay I think, he sorted it so prob best to give him a shout.

Get some giant slabs of marble to put the speakers on, soaks up all the bad frequencies and stops the sub rumbling too much and annoying next door. Me and Mark got ours from eBay I think, he sorted it so prob best to give him a shout.

How thick does the marble need to be to be effective?

Mine are an inch thick, weigh an absolute ton but significantly increased the audio quality from both fronts and the sub stopped reverberating when putting out certain frequencies. For £100 or so, it was a no brainer.

@Topcop: He can just buy one for the sub then.