Roadster Owners - keys & boot don't mix :-(

rogerxp

Just a quick heads up to remind Roadster owners of the perils of keyless entry!!!

Yesterday I was heading out of the office to see someone but made a fatal (slight exaggeration!) mistake. Unusually for me my keys were in my jacket pocket, popped open the boot, threw stuff in together with my jacket, closed it and drove off as usual. Arrived at my desination and went to the boot to get out my jacket, wallet & client files to find it wouldn't open. Was completely flumuxed at this point but then realised where my key was.

The manual offered no help whatsoever. The only manual override requires the key (inside the fob) to be inserted behind the drivers seat but mine was obviously not available but nothing like a physical release catch inside the cabin. There is no way in at all (unlike the Coupe where you just reach back!).

Also, couldn't lock the car, so was impossible to just get on with my meeting (unless we met in the car!!).

Spoke to Westway Stockport who thought the only way in (bar using the spare key) was to head to the nearest dealer and see if they could hook it up to their computers and 'pop' it open. Luckily the nearest dealer was 15 minutes away which, whilst making me very late for my appointments thereafter, was nearer than going home to get the spare. Arrived at Nissan in Bolton who within a few moments delivered the keys back into my hands. Sorted.

So, whilst not the end of the world, was a complete pain in the arse but luckily there was a dealer near-ish that saved the day. Being unable to access the boot or even lock the car was inconvenient to say the least.

The car knew the key as 'inside' the vehicle hence allowing me to start the engine but wouldn't let me lock the car (or open the boot) due to the key still being inside. As soon as the key was extracted normal service was resumed.

This was a simple mistake on my part but easily done. You have been warned.

The funny thing is that I found out is that there is a mechanical override however this is inside the boot itself!!! This 'feature' is there in case you SHUT YOURSELF INSIDE THE BOOT. This is frankly stupid, if you've managed to squeeze inside the tiny boot of a Roadster, you probably wanted to be in there. Also, you'd need the manual with you, and a torch otherwise you're knackered. Pointless. I can see why there isn't a switch inside the cabin though, if you park with your hood down, someone could nick the contents of the boot quite easily.

Edited by rogerxp

Sorry Roger but just had a good chuckle at that.... :blush:

Hey, don't worry, I was saying at the time that I'll laugh later at how ridiculous it was. Just bastard frustrating at the time.

As for Will and the butter, think I'll let you guys crack on with that experiment, I'll sit out if you don't mind!!!

Sorry Roger but just had a good chuckle at that.... :blush:

I laughed more at the thought of Will trying to get in the boot, now if were to help him............... :D

A few beers up in wales in may and i may give it a go :)

:lol: :lol: :worthless:

Although I think a certain Black Rose Coupe owner would be a much better size to fit in a roadster boot :stir:

Edited by DoogyRev