After the Zed: BMW X3 or Boxster???

Karlp

As above guys early next year I'll probably be looking at selling at the Zed :( in favour of something else, question is do I go for practical with a X3 or look at a 55 plate+ Boxster? If anyone has any experience of driving either please feel free to give me some advice :), Id be looking at a Sport X3 possibly 2.5/3.0i and a 2.7 987 Boxster.

Boxster was on the list when I bought my zed, it was a boxster, a Z3 or the 350z. But unless you went for the 3.2 boxster then the other boxsters were slower than the 313 zed. I also wanted something a bit rarer.

All depends really on what sort of thing you want. So much choice out there these days depending on if you want a saloon, sporty, 4x4, soft top... and with prices of 2nd hand cars dropping quickly, more is now affordable.

....I'm sorry but a terrible pair to choose from lol.... I actually couldn't pick one... :surrender: As much as it pains me, I'd rather have a new shape TT with some miles on the clock...put some big wheels on to make it look less dull. Anything but a boxster... and if its the 2.7 I think you'll feel a bit short changed after then Zed lol.

Thanks for the replies chaps,

I know 2 totally different cars, but was thinking do I go for another sport coupe or something practical which I guess is a decision for myself....

So looks like a boxster wont have the same appeal as a zed, looked at TTs but thought the perfomance was lesser to a boxster?

Would look at a 370z but with prices over 13k still and a decent boxster for 10k-11k.

How does a TT compare to a 350?

I don't understand why people are so quick to dis a Boxster, it's an absolutely fabulous car. Have all of the haters ever driven one? I had a 3.2 for three years before I had my Zed and it was brilliant in every way except running costs. I really liked my Zed too but if I were in the market for a 2 seater car again I think my preference would be the Boxster.

As for the X3, I agree with everyone else, it's an ugly car;I've known one person to own one and they hated it, not something I would ever consider.

I agree with a previous poster, how about a BMW Estate? - A 335d would be awesome, faster than the 2.7 Porsche and more practical than the X3. Best of both worlds.

....I'm sorry but a terrible pair to choose from lol.... I actually couldn't pick one... :surrender: As much as it pains me, I'd rather have a new shape TT with some miles on the clock...put some big wheels on to make it look less dull. Anything but a boxster... and if its the 2.7 I think you'll feel a bit short changed after then Zed lol.

Look less dull maybe, but it would still drive like a turd with dull lifeless steering. Oh, and fail wheel drive either permanently or 90% of the time.

X3s are utterly useless for what they are supposed to do. Cramped, horrible interior (by BMW standards) and a weak chassis/suspension design. If you need the room, either get an older X5 or get a 330/335 estate. On the other hand, since its launch the Boxster has been the definitive sports car by every sensible measure (bar price perhaps), and that holds true today. Even the old 2.5 is still a great thing to drive, and with the choice out there you'll easy find one to your own spec. Just be aware of IMS and to a lesser extent RMS issues, and go in with your eyes wide open.

Dan, I'm curious.

We know you are big Porsche fan and here ^^^^ you are extolling the virtues of the "old 2.5" Boxter, so quite why is another ZED on your shopping list when you could have Boxter for not much different money?

Sorry it is a bit off topic, but can't let my puzzlement go on any longer.

It's a fair question. :)

I don't want a convertible as I've got the '5 for that, but I could still get an early Cayman (just!) for the Zed budget so your question nearly remains the same. Truth is I want something I can mod with ease, and something that's not got the potential for £5K bills if the engine goes pop. An M96/97 engine always has that risk, whereas even if the V6 lump goes pop it's only a grand to get a replacement. With the house purchase taking up most of my spare cash, I'm looking for a cheap GT car that can replace the 911 for long journeys. Sure, the Boxster could do that just as easily if not better, but again we're back to the money side of things. Same reason I stopped looking at 996 911s too.

In terms of keeping the cars running the cost will be the same with regards to fuel, tyres, servicing etc, so it's just the big bills I'm trying to avoid. As far as driving characteristics go, I personally would rate the Boxsters considerably higher than the Zed, but that says more about the Porker than the Nissan. If the Boxster is 10/10, then the Zed sits at about 8/10 but without the risk factor. Having done the very fast car thing now, I'm more than happy to settle for "less" if it means I can have some proper fun in it and mod to my heart's content. They're brilliant cars, and I regret selling mine as I was just getting started with exploring the engineering side of it so there's a bit of unfinished busines if you will! :lol:

I guess what I'm really trying to say is the age old adage of buying a fun car with your heart. The Boxster is the better car, but it's not what I want and it's not like the Zed is a complete dog either. I can't say I'm not gutted to be leaving Porsche ownership, but equally I'm looking forward to having something a bit more playful again too. :)

So you are prepared to spend the money to upgrade the Zed from 8/10, when you could have a Boxster that you rate "considerably higher than the Zed" at 10/10 with probably less total capital outlay?

And I thought Boxters were pretty bullet proof and you can of course have the hard top option ;)

Hope you will feel when you come back to ZED ownership that you have not chosen 2nd best, and we get Porsche this and Porsche that all over your build ZED thread. :lol:

I don't need the Zed to be 10/10, I need it to be 8/10 but with a few casual refinements. My last Zed was a compromise between balls out and GT comfort, my next one won't have to satisfy the balls out as I have the MX5 for that now. The 986 is very well built, it's just the 5% suffering IMS failures that is a risk I'm not prepared to take right now, Same reason I bought the gen2 997 instead of the gen1. You're right in that the Boxster would be the cheaper choice short term, but I can afford to play with the Zed over a few years.

I don't have to have the best car, I have to have the best car for me. The Boxster is the best car, but it's not the best car for me right now. If it was as simple as that, I'd keep the 911! :lol: