Parking receipt scam. DO NOT OPEN zip file

glrnet

Guys,

Just a heads up really, I know most of us are quite savvy regarding stuff like this but today mrs glrnet received a very official email which purported to be a parking receipt from Westminster City Council, from a company called "payparking by phone". It lists a date and time for parking and the charge for said parking, the catch is to see the receipt it want you to open a zip file :scare: :scare: Luckily mrs glrnet didn't and rang Westminster City Council, they have been inundated today with calls regarding this and it is clearly a scam/virus attack. Delete from your inbox and delete from your computer.

G :)

Yes, people still and will fall for this kind of stuff. The fault is not with them as much as it is with the c**p Microsoft Windows that allows you to run a file willy nilly simply based on the file extension c**p - the same Windows that coincidentaly likes to hide those extensions as much as it can thinking it makes people's life easier. I just can't believe that after 20 years of Windows Microsoft still hasn't done anything about this.

Edited by zDan

This and variations of it has been around since at least 2009. It seems to have started in The U.S but there are reports of it from other London boroughs right through to Thailand. From what I can gather it installs some fake anti-virus software which keeps popping up messages and is extremely difficult to get rid of. I got hit with a variant of this 2 or so years ago when a legit site I visited was infected with it. In the end I had to identify what files were being loaded and then remove the hard disk, pop it into a USB caddy and delete the files manually on a different computer. The virus actually got past Avast so it must be pretty complex.

Pete