2nd Hand 350z - Buying Advice

Aliensurfer

Hi Peeps.

Been lurking for a few days doing some research before I plunge into the world of the 350z (Finally got the girlfriends blessing!) and picked up some really useful information. Just wondered if I could get some advice specific to my situation.

My 350z will be my main car and I've got no more than £7k to spend including insurance, I do a fair few miles for work but my fuel is paid for so that's not so much of an issue for me.

I've seen a 53 plate with the GT pack which has done 73k up for sale for just over £6k. It's over 90 minute drive so want to make sure as much as I can before going to see it. Few things I've learnt from you guys over the past few days:

1 - As it's over 3yrs and 54k, the major P3 service should have been done so that's something to ask

2 - Seller has no idea whether it's been run on the higher octane with it's 3 previous owners.

3 - Watch out for the knocking sound from the rear

Anything else to look out for when I go and see it or ask well in advance?

PS - I've looked through for members who run garages near me, closest I can find is Atkin Motors. I'd like to take it into one of you guys after I buy something for a check up, but is there anyone slightly closer to me? (Halifax, West Yorks.or Cambridge where my office is?)

Cheers Guys,

Matt

I'd recommend a test drive to check the gearbox, the syncros are notoriously weak on the early cars and at 74k that could be rearing its head if the car has been driven as god intended. Symtoms are a crunch going from 1st to 2nd and back again, and 5th and 6th can get crunchy too in some cases.

I'm probably more paranoid about this than most, but then I unknowingly bought one with a shagged gearbox and it's now having its replacement gearbox rebuilt as that was shagged as well. Probably one of the most expensive problems you can have with the Zed so I'd say its worth taking steps to avoid.

Also the clutch could be on its way out if it's still on the original.

DB

the syncros are notoriously weak on the early cars and at 74k that could be rearing its head if the car has been driven as god intended.

Is this true? I haven't heard of this often - no point adding unnecessary paranoia points :)

Symtoms are a crunch going from 1st to 2nd and back again, and 5th and 6th can get crunchy too in some cases.

A slightly obstructive 1st to 2nd is common and not necessarily anything to worry about so long as it improves once the car is warmed up. Issues in 5th and 6th is a worry though.

I'm not saying your advice is wrong Dannyboy, just that new buyers have enough worries without being put off a car because 1st and 2nd is notchy when cold :thumbs:

I recently sold my car with just over 80K miles on the clock and the gearbox was fine (this is where the new owner pops up and says the gearbox has exploded :D ).

It was the original 'box too, as was the clutch which was also fine - by rights it should have cried enough tens of thousands of miles ago though, it was certainly excercised properly!

Yes, Leeroy, you're right I should have been more specific, the gearboxes are just a bit of a sore subject to me :surrender: .

Almost all 350z 'boxes are a little notchy when cold, and generally pretty 'manly' to operate. What you really need to worry about is if when up to temp you can't get it into 2nd without a nice crunch, and possibly the same in 5th and 6th.

The clutches seem to vary massively. Mine gave up at about 50k, which seems fairly normal, but SMD is apparently still on his original at over 100k :scare:

DB

Edit - just noticed your synchro question - yes, it's true, I don't know why but the synchros on early boxes don't have enough cones for the power basically. Later DE (CD009) and all HR boxes have double and triple cones on more gears so they're more robust. It doesn't seem to be that well documented over here, but a transmission swap to a later gearbox is a very popular thing to do in the states to avoid synchro issues. Some are fine, some (like mine) are a nightmare, just have to make sure you get a good one.

Edited by DannyBoy

things i didn't do when buying mine ..

Ask how much wear is left in the tyres, not a big problem but you might not want to fork out nearly a grand (for a decent set) so soon after buying the car.

Test drive it on a rough bit of road to show up any suspension rattles that could be arb's or even worse the banana arms

And take some cd's to check the Bose stereo

Hope you find a good one :thumbs:

I'd suggest a quick search on here for recommended tyres, I picked up my zed a few weeks ago, it was advertised with 4 recent tyres so I was happy.

When I turned up they were budget tyres, it was a nice sunny day and they performed well and I loved the car so bought it.

In the wet however the car is simply dangerous! It just spoils ownership of a car like this.

Thankfully I don't drive the car daily so they can wait whilst I tidy up some other bits, but I will have to spend £850 odd on a new set of decent tyres soon.

Also look out for corrosion of the wiper arms and alloy wheels.

I'd suggest a quick search on here for recommended tyres, I picked up my zed a few weeks ago, it was advertised with 4 recent tyres so I was happy.

When I turned up they were budget tyres, it was a nice sunny day and they performed well and I loved the car so bought it.

In the wet however the car is simply dangerous! It just spoils ownership of a car like this.

Thankfully I don't drive the car daily so they can wait whilst I tidy up some other bits, but I will have to spend £850 odd on a new set of decent tyres soon.

Also look out for corrosion of the wiper arms and alloy wheels.

You can pick up decent tyres for a lot less than £850 go to camskill :thumbs:

Thinking back when buying mine most common faults:

- Check the clutch bite, although some people will say that a high biting point can be normal, from the Zeds I drove most are not high and this can be a sign of a clutch on the way out, £1000 for a new clutch kit and fitting. Its just not worth the risk if you are on a budget, look for one with a replacement.

- Check the windows, motors are prone to playing up, sometimes its a failed motor sometimes it just needs resetting but worth checking.

- Check underneath for any wet oil, could be a sign of a leak, at that mileage could be an issue. Make sure they guy starts it up from cold and stand at the back when he does to check for any blue smoke out the exhaust. If he hasn't driven it for a while there might be a squeak of it, but if a fairly large plume comes out you know there are problems.

- Otherwise the advice above is good, check suspension, check for paintwork problems.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I managed to find something yesterday slightly over my budget, but chatting to the other half we agreed to pay the extra and I pick up my Zed next Friday :). Found an 04 plate with 47k on the clock, full service history at pretty much every 4000 miles, new tyres (Forget the make, but were described to me as Top-End Budget, whatever that means!, but i'll look into that more closely when I get it). The garage have also fitted a new clutch since they got it a few weeks ago as they said they could feel it being on it's way out. Bodywork looked mint, drove like a dream. No blue tooth adapter that I or the seller could see, so that'll have to go in at some point.

Very much looking forward to picking it up!

I managed to find something yesterday slightly over my budget, but chatting to the other half we agreed to pay the extra and I pick up my Zed next Friday :). Found an 04 plate with 47k on the clock, full service history at pretty much every 4000 miles, new tyres (Forget the make, but were described to me as Top-End Budget, whatever that means!, but i'll look into that more closely when I get it). The garage have also fitted a new clutch since they got it a few weeks ago as they said they could feel it being on it's way out. Bodywork looked mint, drove like a dream. No blue tooth adapter that I or the seller could see, so that'll have to go in at some point.

Well done - sounds good :thumbs: . Re the tyres - once you know what they are we will be able to comment further. "Top-end" budget is an interesting phrase - could mean budget or mid-range. There are some mid-range tyres that are ok - it all depends on what they are. It's just a case of taking it easy until you know what's what.

Congrats on your purchase :yahoo:

For all parts don't forget to speak to the traders on here first !!

:pmzmanalex::pmtarmac: Steve @ Redline, CS @ Cougar ..... etc :thumbs:

Spent ages looking through the mods some of you guys have done. This could be the start of one very expensive hobby!

BT adapter will be a must if anyone on here can point in the direction of a member who sells them? Location wise I split my time between Halifax, West Yorks and my office in Cambridge if that helps.

Welcome, good to see another forum member in Halifax.

As for which garage to use, I recently took mine to Atkins in Malton and can recommend them. There is also Lockwood and Greenwood which is the near side of Manchester for us which come recommended and give a forum discount, although I can't comment on them as I've never been.