350Z head gaskets - do they fail?

Berty

Hi,

Newbie hopeful owner here :)

I've started looking for a Zed & was after some advice, I can't find much info on the net about headgaskets on these engines failing which I guess is a good sign as it can't be that common?

I've viewed a car this week which overall looks pretty good, but whilst checking it over noticed some mayo in the oil filler cap, also a little around the threads in the fill hole in the rocker cover.

Couldn't see any bubbling in the coolant when it was running, no excessive smoke from the exhaust but I've had bad luck with head gaskets on Rover V8 engines in the past (know this is a proper built engine compared to that :blush: ) & I'm nervous about getting caught out!

I'm probably going to pass on this one because of the mayo, shame as it has a lot which is right. Local car, GT model, 54 plate, FSH at local Nissan dealership, 49,000, clean, couple of modifications. Stainless exhaust, Jim Wolf air cleaner & shield, double din touch screen stereo.

What do you reckon, steer clear?

Thanks & regards,

Brett

I can't imagine a 350z engine having head gasket failure at 49k especially with full Nissan service history as the chances are its been looked after properly. But then again you never know what may have happened to it really. If the coolant looks good etc its probably ok I guess. Maybe somebody has just done an oil top up during heavy rain or something. Could be froth from rain water getting in? Maybe you could check it out again in a week and if miles have been put on it in that time you should know if its ok? Does the seller have any explanation for it. I bet it's fine.

This can happen if car does a lot of short journeys and is not reaching operating temperature, was there any mixed with the oil ?

Thing is though plenty of zeds out there, some well cared for ones in the for sale section on here. So if you don't feel comfortable with this one keep looking

Could just be condensation, I've been in the motor trade selling parts 25 years and I know they haven't been around all that time, neither are they a common car, but I've never been asked for one. Rovers on the other hand, the K series engine keeps me in a job :D

i'd say the k series V8 is a better engine, i had a k series and blew the head gasket on that; it was expected; wasn;t like it was a suprise. as for the zed's v6 you should be more concerned at oil consumption. as it usaully requires an engine rebuild. unlike a k series which just needs the heads skimming.

i'd say the k series V8 is a better engine, i had a k series and blew the head gasket on that; it was expected; wasn;t like it was a suprise. as for the zed's v6 you should be more concerned at oil consumption. as it usaully requires an engine rebuild. unlike a k series which just needs the heads skimming.

Never driven a K series but you just know at some point the head gasket will go.

In 5 years on these forums ive never read about a head gasket going, and i think i've only read about 1 or 2 people needing a rebuild, so i wouldnt even put these engines in the same league personally.

Edited by marzman

In answer to your question it is most unusual for head gaskets to fail.

More than likely it is just as the guys have said or it may be an easily fixed breathing issue.

I would not be to unduly worried with your findings and providing there is no oil in the coolant or the engine oil is not emulsified then I would be reasonably comfortable.

Perhaps you could use your findings to negotiate on the asking price.

Alex.

Edited by ZMANALEX

Thanks for all the replies chaps, good to hear it's possibly not an issue.

For those that asked the car is for sale with a trader. I'd much rather buy off an enthusaiast but I have a bit of a hurdle in that I need to offload a Land Rover first to make space on the drive.

The Landy was just a fun vehicle but I never use it anymore so want to get rid. I'll probably never see the value of it if I chop it in but I want to get it moving as quickly as possible. I'm happy to sell it privately as there's nothing wrong with it, but I don't want to get stuck advertising it for ages. :thumbdown:

The trader possibly won't take the Landy as it's pretty extensively modified & would appeal to an enthusiast more than a casual buyer.

I need a Zed now! :lol:

• 4 years later...