Private Plates...

dunker

I don't think there's anything wrong in wanting to hide the age of your car. I would do it for that reason alone. We've got a system that rips us off by displaying the age of our cars for all to see so that the industry can make more money out of people etc. I think it's good that people don't know how old your car is unless it's by it's shape - call me snobby - yes I probably am. But a 250 quid plate is cheaper than changing your car every 5 minutes if you're paranoid about it's age. Incidentally, does anyone know how to go about selling their plate?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being linched heres my take on the topic. When I see private plates I always think one of two things;

1 There to hide the age of the car cos your bothered what the neighbours think

2 There to bolster the owner’s perception that it makes the car and hence the driver look cool, ie your sad person

However the real sad thing is, in quite a lot of cases, the letters/numbers only mean something to the owner. To the rest of the world there just a set of letters and numbers. A guy in the street has ----TOM. Well I guess his names TOM then, big deal??

Ok, you could argue its fun, but when these things cost £00 and quite often £000 it all seems such a waste to me. If it enhanced the look or performance then I would agree.

:thumbdown:

That's a very bold post considering the vast amount of people on here with private plates. :lol:

Personally I've got a private plate because I like the idea of private plates. The new style of registrations IMO look like shite, with too many digits. My opinion. "but when these things cost £00 and quite often £000 it all seems such a waste to me. " Yeah, to you, but how I spend my 00's and 000's is my business. And one thing's for sure, there's not many of us will lose money on our plates. :teeth:

PS... The guy on your street, Tom, cool plate. Must be worth 000's that. B)B)

PPS.... If someone offered you D1CKY for nowt, would you put it on your car???

At the risk of being linched heres my take on the topic. When I see private plates I always think one of two things;

2 There to bolster the owner’s perception that it makes the car and hence the driver look cool, ie your sad person

However the real sad thing is, in quite a lot of cases, the letters/numbers only mean something to the owner. To the rest of the world there just a set of letters and numbers. A guy in the street has ----TOM. Well I guess his names TOM then, big deal??

Ok, you could argue its fun, but when these things cost £00 and quite often £000 it all seems such a waste to me. If it enhanced the look or performance then I would agree.

bought my plate with money left to me from my Gran in her will.

My dad was chuffed to bits with what I had spent it on and thought it was a great idea and he thought it was nice to see it spent on something that would last for ever.

bought my plate with money left to me from my Gran in her will.

My dad was chuffed to bits with what I had spent it on and thought it was a great idea and he thought it was nice to see it spent on something that would last for ever.

Ditto Mike, did the very same thing. :thumbs:

No, but if Im completely honest I was thinking of getting a real cheap one for resale purposes as it seems most sports cars have them. I appreciate where all different and if you like them go fot it, I just dont see it myself. Bling on the other hand, even hidden bling, can put a smile on your face, but number plate’s hummmmm.

Cheers Dicky

:yawn:

Interesting debate, or I could call it a "Mass Debate"...:lol:

Clearly the value of the plate is the percieved value to the owner. I have one on my Bimmer and Cossie and personally don't give a damm what others think. If it makes you happy and you can afford it why worry what others think.

I bought one for the missus last Xmas and she was chuffed to bits. All 3 plates I have cost less than £300 each and I don't intend selling them.. :thumbs:

BTW the Bimmer was new so I'm certainly not trying to hide the age of that and the Cossie is so old it doesn't matter, (1986). :p

I don't think there's anything wrong in wanting to hide the age of your car. I would do it for that reason alone. We've got a system that rips us off by displaying the age of our cars for all to see so that the industry can make more money out of people etc. I think it's good that people don't know how old your car is unless it's by it's shape - call me snobby - yes I probably am. But a 250 quid plate is cheaper than changing your car every 5 minutes if you're paranoid about it's age. Incidentally, does anyone know how to go about selling their plate?

My point exactly. Why does it bother you that people know you don’t have this years model. Most people don’t care. Your right when you say the industry is cashing in because they see this weakness in people and exploit it.

My point exactly. Why does it bother you that people know you don’t have this years model. Most people don’t care. Your right when you say the industry is cashing in because they see this weakness in people and exploit it.

And apparently it works, and it's not the fault of the industry ;)

And saying that if you wouldnt be able to hide the age of your car you would change car "every 5 minutes" is completely ridiculous imho ;)

No offence to anyone here, but I really think it is weird some people pay lots of money for a private plate where one has to look for 2 minutes before understanding what the plate actually is supposed to contain (numbers trying to represent letters, sometimes in very bizarre ways. If they dont explain you can't even see it yourself) or if you have to fiddle with colored screws to change the look of certain characters ;)

My view of private plates is that if they actually say something then they are cool, but if you have to think what the plate means then they are crap.

For example, Paul Daniels has MAG1C and Jimmy Tarbuck has COM1C, which are pretty neat. I also used to see 4RE every morning on a Testarossa and thought that was cool. But I recently took a Merc CLK in part exchange and over the phone the owner was saying it had a private plate which said HORNY, but when it turned up it actually said H10RNX :headhurt:

****er?

Correction rich ****er :thumbs:

Just 'cause you've got money doesn't mean you've got sense. Tho I have to hand it to him, it is quite funny when they're parked side by side in his garage

I'd certainly like to think they were on a couple of my cars :teeth: